Failure Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hang in there guys and gals! Keep your chin up and don't give up.

I tried my SE1 couple times and I passed this time! What a releaf to finally throw this monkey off my back and face the future with more open doors!

When I think back, this is really the first time I had time to really sit down to study - I was fortunate enough to get laid off 20 days before the exam. Turned out to be a really layoff for me: I don't have to work for the company I don't like and I had my time to prepare for my exam.

After the exam, I was 100% sure I passed this time - I got about 30 minutes left in the morning and about an hour in the afternoon. I kinda thought the exam became easier but later on I found out the passing rate was just as low as before and people here told me that the exam was just as hard - 48% for first timers and only 25% for repeaters.

So my advice is that you take at least a week off from your work before the exam and sleep well before the exam. You will pass sooner or later.

I envy you THUDore. It was my second try too. I gave in the time and I felt very prepared. I felt that I got it this time but the results came back negative. I was so disapointed but I will take it again come October.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hang in there guys and gals! Keep your chin up and don't give up.
I tried my SE1 couple times and I passed this time! What a releaf to finally throw this monkey off my back and face the future with more open doors!

When I think back, this is really the first time I had time to really sit down to study - I was fortunate enough to get laid off 20 days before the exam. Turned out to be a really layoff for me: I don't have to work for the company I don't like and I had my time to prepare for my exam.

After the exam, I was 100% sure I passed this time - I got about 30 minutes left in the morning and about an hour in the afternoon. I kinda thought the exam became easier but later on I found out the passing rate was just as low as before and people here told me that the exam was just as hard - 48% for first timers and only 25% for repeaters.

So my advice is that you take at least a week off from your work before the exam and sleep well before the exam. You will pass sooner or later.
This was my first try and I failed SE1. : (

Man, I am very dissapointed. I don't think I have enough energy left to get up and study again.

What makes the whole thing worse is I felt like I got at least 60 questions right when I left the exam room.

I ran the percentage numbers in the "diagnostic report" and I figure I only got 44 or 45 of the questions right. Big dissapointment.

How much do I need to pass - it is totally different story...

How many people felt confident that they had passed when they left the April 2009 exam?
When i left i knew in my head how many could have been wrong. If i had doubled that i still would have passed so i felt pretty confident that i passed (which as it turns out i did). Although, I never jinxed it by saying i knew i had passed, because you just never know...

When i left i knew in my head how many could have been wrong. If i had doubled that i still would have passed so i felt pretty confident that i passed (which as it turns out i did). Although, I never jinxed it by saying i knew i had passed, because you just never know...
Ha, i'm a huge believer in the jinx. i refused to discuss how "i felt i did" AT ALL, WITH ANYONE!!!

Failed Struc 1 Third time---- I will be taking the general civil in October!!!!! Why take the Struc 1 in Tenn if you can't leaglly call yourself a SE---DUHHHHHHHH

:smileyballs: Failed ... 1st try. Civil PE construction. I don't think I am going to try again. Project management is what I like to do and I don't need a PE for that. Good luck everyone!!!!
Don't give up.

I thought so too the first time.

Even in construction management PE is valued. You don't want to regret this decision down the road.

Mechanial- Machine Design

I did the same thing and kept coming up with about 10-12 I figured I got wrong. Last time it was 20-25 and I had got a 65. With this in mind I figured I passed but I did not. I have not received the diagnostic report yet. Il can not believe after studying another 3.5 months I did not raise my grade 5 points. Something just does not seam right but it is what it is. I started studying the night I found out.

Failed the electrical PE for the second time. I'm still waiting for the letter with my score and my diagnostic report. I got a 68 the first time and was certain I did better by 2 points and passed on my second attempt even though I went in not expecting to pass because my wife delivered twin boys 3 weeks before the exam so I didn't study one bit those last 3 weeks. Started studying again yesterday because I'm going to kick this exam's a$$ in October.

Failed the electrical PE for the second time. I'm still waiting for the letter with my score and my diagnostic report. I got a 68 the first time and was certain I did better by 2 points and passed on my second attempt even though I went in not expecting to pass because my wife delivered twin boys 3 weeks before the exam so I didn't study one bit those last 3 weeks. Started studying again yesterday because I'm going to kick this exam's a$$ in October.
Congrats on your twins and this is the exact attitude I am going have if I fail the exam this time... (I am in MD and still waiting).

Congrats on your twins and this is the exact attitude I am going have if I fail the exam this time... (I am in MD and still waiting).
Thanks! I hope that you get good news and don't have to worry about taking the exam again.

Maybe we need to re-name this thread to "did not pass this time" instead of "failure" as I do not think anyone that put effort into studying, took this exam, and then waited 3 months to get the results as a failure. I sure is hell did better that the ones that did not take the effort to go through this process.

Maybe we need to re-name this thread to "did not pass this time" instead of "failure" as I do not think anyone that put effort into studying, took this exam, and then waited 3 months to get the results as a failure. I sure is hell did better that the ones that did not take the effort to go through this process.
I agree with buick455. Failure would be not trying again if you didn't pass or never trying at all if you are capable.

Failed.....May try again. Congrats to all who passed.

To all who failed: DON'T THINK LESS OF YOURSELF...JUST THINK OF YOURSELF LESS OFTEN

I am officially dumb!

I have failed at my first attempt at SE1 and now my confidence is shattered and I think I will fail again in October!

I really thought I had passed the exam and was shocked not to see my name on the list.... I have not received diagnostic report yet....

Don't know what to do........

Latest posts

Back