Failed EIT Once Again Need Help

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Civil26

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am a new member and wanted to share my experience with the EIT Exam. I have been out of school for 5 years . After Bachelors..I continued to pursue master's in Transportation Engineering and by the time I graduated I almost forgot what I studied in Bachelors.

Now, Its becoming a nightmare passing the EIT. I have failed twice already and I have decided very strongly that I am going to knock it down this time no matter what. But I need some advice from all of you. Can you please suggest some good review books with some theory and practice problems?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I Congratulate all of you who have passed the exam and wish good luck to the ones like me.

Thanks,

Civil26

The standard that many people use is Lindeburg's review manual. I passed EIT on 2nd attempt many years after leaving school. I have since also passed PE, but that took 4 times. Stay with it, civil26. My best advice is to make a schedule for preparation and stick to it. It's been a long time since I took EIT and it has changed, but you can't go wrong with practice problems. Good luck.

The standard that many people use is Lindeburg's review manual. I passed EIT on 2nd attempt many years after leaving school. I have since also passed PE, but that took 4 times. Stay with it, civil26. My best advice is to make a schedule for preparation and stick to it. It's been a long time since I took EIT and it has changed, but you can't go wrong with practice problems. Good luck.
Thank You Mary :) . I really appreciate your advice on this. What frustrated me the most is that i missed it by one point. Do you know think its worth getting it re evaluated?

Thanks,

Civil 26

I don't know where you are but it is probably worth it to go to a review class at an engineering school if you have one nearby. Clemson does one ever 6 months for FE candidates.
Hi,

I am enquiring with engineering schools as suggested. I am in Texas and UTA offers prep classes. They said that the classes wud begin in Feb. So I guess I have some time for myself to prepare.

Thanks Once again!

Civil 26

I also recommend a review class. I had also been out of school for 5 years when I took the FE, but I managed to pass it on the first try. In the class you learn how to solve the right kinds of problems and, just as importantly, how to take the test. I'm certain the test taking strategies I learned in the class were a big part of my passing the exam without too much trouble.

Out of topic: Anybody knows who offer FE exam prep class here in NY?

Thank you

I had the same prob as you. BS, MS, and just took the FE now, 6 years after BS.

I hear that the main prob with the FE is the pm session. Not sure what pm session ur taking but here's what I did. (I'm Civil)

Now that you have enough experience, take both PE/FE at the same time. Study mainly for PE, and then take the NON-general pm session of the FE. I just recently (Oct09) took the PE and FE same week and passed both. I studied mainly for PE (Civil) and then took the pm Civil. That way, you avoid the thermo/chemistry/biology crap that you haven't seen in 8 or so years and the pm session in civil is same difficulty (or maybe a bit easier) than morning session PE.

As for the morning FE session, with a good calculator, you can nail all the math/electrical problems without even using ur bains....just plug-in numbers...I would take you about a month of serious studying to pass both (i.e. 2-3 hours a day), but doable.....don't hesitate about studying for both, just think that you'll be done with all this BS in one week end...but now you need to make sure that ur state lets u sit for both in the same week.

One word: Testmasters

It's a lot of money, but it's the easiest way to make sure you're pointed in the right direction.

I've heard a lot of good things about testmasters, but they are not available close enough to everyone.

I graduated in 1976 and nobody cared about exams back then. I finally took the FE in 2007 and passed it on the first try. I studied quite a bit, and I got real familiar with the supplied booklet, that is all that you can use anyway. I highly endorse (http://www.eitexam.com/). they are cheap, and the drilling and scoring really worked for me. PPI was a big help to me also.

I've heard a lot of good things about testmasters, but they are not available close enough to everyone.
Getting out of town to do some real prep work can be a godsend. I was living north of LA and took the Testmasters course in Tempe, AZ. Three weekends away from work and family certainly helped. You know what they say about blessings in disguise!

Do you know think its worth getting it re evaluated?

No. I'm pretty sure it even says on the NCEES website that no re-evaluations have ever resulted in a change from fail to pass. And how do you know for certain that you missed by one point?

I took the FE 4 times and the PE 3 times. I still say the FE is the harder of the two exams. What I did to pass the final time was study for six months straight working the Lindberg problems over and over and over and over again. Hang in there and keep trying you will get it.

Thank You Mary :) . I really appreciate your advice on this. What frustrated me the most is that i missed it by one point. Do you know think its worth getting it re evaluated?

Thanks,

Civil 26
Hi Civil 26, when you said you missed it by one point, how did you come up with that? what is the passing score ? Im in the same boat...I thought my scores were high enough to pass.

In my case, I do not have an engineering degree. I have a BS in engineering technology that is mostly from military school transfer credit and online courses. I only had 2 semesters of calc which were in 1992, so I was at a distinct disadvantage prepping for this test. I did not even know what a differential equation was in February when I decided to take this exam. I had already decided to take the general PM module, so that limited what I would have to prepare for. The books I studied from were:

Calculus for Dummies... (Don't laugh, it had been a while) :lmao:

Calculus Refresher for the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam - Peter Schiavone

FE Review Manual: Rapid Preparation for the General Fundamentals of Engineering Exam (F E Review Manual), 2nd ed. - Michael R. Lindeburg

FE/EIT Sample Examinations, 2nd Edition - Michael R. Lindeburg

And Of course, get the FE Supplied Reference Handbook (either hard copy or download and print)

The calc review was very helpful, and set me up to get through the first chapters of FERM. For the general modules, FERM WAS EVERYTHING.

I took the ~800 page FERM to Kinkos and had it cut into 6 volumes of ~10 chapters each, so I could carry one around and not seem like such a daunting task. It was only about $30 to have it done and I am glad I did because with spiral binding, the pages lay flat, which is nice.

The FERM covered all the questions on the general AM and PM portion to the best of my knowledge, with few exceptions. When reviewing, I was running out of time and got behind the schedule I set for myself( mostly by being distracted by summer stuff). I almost skipped engineering economics but decided to cover it. I am glad I did because that would have made my afternoon session miserable! I tried to work 1 chapter a day, but for me, getting through the Calc review took about 4-5 weeks. I actually went through it twice. I had to supplement my lack of college algebra with an occasional textbook lookup and Wikipedia :) to learn how to do matrix math. This is not covered as well as I needed in the review, but was in about 2-3 questions on the exam so the extra effort paid off.

I went through the morning session ok, but left transposing my answers to the answer sheet until the end. Well, I only left 7 mins to do it in! That was pretty exciting. My hands were shaking a mile a minute. Then I realized on about question 60 that my answers didn't line up... Made it with about 2 minutes to spare. The afternoon was much better, finishing in 3 hrs. I had such a headache that I did not go back over my answers, which is my standard procedure. The afternoon session (general) was very similar to the questions in the FERM and I had plenty of time to work them.

Good luck! I am certain that if I can do it, anyone can! Just keep at it.

Now, Its becoming a nightmare passing the EIT. I have failed twice already and I have decided very strongly that I am going to knock it down this time no matter what. But I need some advice from all of you. Can you please suggest some good review books with some theory and practice problems?

Quit wasting time and money and get a job teaching? Nevermind we have enough failures teaching already, try to get into middle management?

Back