Experience with General Contractor/CM Firm

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BAZ20

Reaction score
I have bachelors and masters in Civil Engg.. I have four years of construction management experience working with general contractor. With GC, I review engineering drawings/specifications, codes and shop drawings but never design any thing... I passed EIT and want to give PE(Civil) exam in California.... Does my experience qualify me to sit for PE exam... I think, board needs design experience.... What should I put as qualifying experience... I would appreciate if someone can share their experience.

I have bachelors and masters in Civil Engg.. I have four years of construction management experience working with general contractor. With GC, I review engineering drawings/specifications, codes and shop drawings but never design any thing... I passed EIT and want to give PE(Civil) exam in California.... Does my experience qualify me to sit for PE exam... I think, board needs design experience.... What should I put as qualifying experience... I would appreciate if someone can share their experience.
I don't think the board requires design experience. I was in the a similar boat twice and they approved it no problem.

I don't think the board requires design experience. I was in the a similar boat twice and they approved it no problem.
It doesn't usually have to be design experience, but in most (all?) states it does need to be under the supervision of a licensed Engineer. The situation as posed doesn't say if the GC has a P.E. on staff or not. I'd assume so, but just thought I'd point that out.

It doesn't usually have to be design experience, but in most (all?) states it does need to be under the supervision of a licensed Engineer. The situation as posed doesn't say if the GC has a P.E. on staff or not. I'd assume so, but just thought I'd point that out.
Since you work for a CPM, I assume you have relationships which your consultant engineers. You can get them to reference you. I did that When I sat for the Electrical Power exam as there weren't any EE's and only a couple Civil's in my office to use as references.

Back