Experience and education evaluation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sat

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question. I have a bachelors degree from India and masters from US. Also, i have 3 years of experience. I think masters can be substituted as 1 year of experience. So i believe i am eligible for taking PE exam. But i need to do education evaluation. TX board needs no evaluation. Are there any other states that need no evaluation where i am eligible to take exam. Please suggest me.

Thanks and regards,

Sat.

I'm not so sure about TX needing no edu evaluation, esp with only 3 yrs of experience :huh:

you also fail to mention if you have taken & passed the FE exam

good starting point ----> http://www.ncees.org/Licensing_boards.php

Last edited by a moderator:
As of last year, TX did still require an evaluation. I'd be surprised if they changed that requirement.

Hi,I have a question. I have a bachelors degree from India and masters from US. Also, i have 3 years of experience. I think masters can be substituted as 1 year of experience. So i believe i am eligible for taking PE exam. But i need to do education evaluation. TX board needs no evaluation. Are there any other states that need no evaluation where i am eligible to take exam. Please suggest me.

Thanks and regards,

Sat.
I got approved for PE exam end of last year. I have a PhD and 6 yrs of progressive exp. If i am not mistaken you will need atleast 4 yrs of progressive exp for TX board.

My educational evaluation was waived, but I got the approval for it from TX board even before submitting the documents. Send them a mail with your qualifications and see if you get a positive reply to waive the evaluation. If they do, include their email with your documents. That is what I did.

Thank you so much, I passed my FE from Ohio. Since i called the TX board, they mentioned i don't need to go for education evaluation if i have masters from US. I will email them and keep that as a proof. Since i live in Virginia, i am looking for some states where i can take PE exam. When you have masters + 4 years experience you don't need education evaluation. Masters + 3 years you need evaluation for most of the states.

ironman said:
These lax evaluations are going to put american engineers into the poor house.
FYI, we were properly evaluated when we where admitted to an US university. We hold higher degrees from an US university just like you do. Did you undergo an educational evaluation before taking up PE exam? Is that considered lax? If not, so is ours. The board knows how to evaluate each individuals education and professional experience. I am sure you dont work on the board and do not perform educational evaluation for living. If I were you, I would stop shooting my mouth on a subject I know nada about.

ironman said:
FYI, we were properly evaluated when we where admitted to an US university. We hold higher degrees from an US university just like you do. Did you undergo an educational evaluation before taking up PE exam? Is that considered lax? If not, so is ours. The board knows how to evaluate each individuals education and professional experience. I am sure you dont work on the board and do not perform educational evaluation for living. If I were you, I would stop shooting my mouth on a subject I know nada about.
Actually, ironman/rppearso has provided ample evidence that he is an idiot.

ironman said:
You are right an Engineer from India. We should stop looking at people from other nation as being inferior. For Example, i had my Bsc (Mechanical Engineering) first class honor from Nigera. The board (NY) approved my eduaction/experience without any question. They only required that i need 2 years of USA experience. I took the FE and after 17 years of being out of school, i did not find it difficult to pass on my first attempt. In actual fact, before i attempted to seat for my PE, i started working problems and among my conunterpart on the Job especially when we discuss on a particular problem, it seems that i was always the first to come up with solution. Not born in USA or educated in USA does not make you inferior.

(oluade).

ironman said:
You are right an Engineer from India. We should stop looking at people from other nation as being inferior. For Example, i had my Bsc (Mechanical Engineering) first class honor from Nigera. The board (NY) approved my eduaction/experience without any question. They only required that i need 2 years of USA experience. I took the FE and after 17 years of being out of school, i did not find it difficult to pass on my first attempt. In actual fact, before i attempted to seat for my PE, i started working problems and among my conunterpart on the Job especially when we discuss on a particular problem, it seems that i was always the first to come up with solution. Not born in USA or educated in USA does not make you inferior.

(oluade).

I believe most American-born engineers realize that education standards in other countries are more strict from grade school to college. Our kids are losing interest in math and science which has an adverse effect on the engineering field. The nobility and compensation of being an engineer isn't as high as a computer programmer for Apple or Google, but the public requires infrastructure far more than a search engine or an iPhone whether they realize it or not.

I think it's great that registered engineers have different backgrounds; its diversity will only make the engineering profession stronger and provide a greater service to the public. Just imagine if the world were run by engineers instead of lawyers. :)

Just imagine if the world were run by engineers instead of lawyers. :)
For whatever reason, I get the image of a cloudless sunny sky and people dancing in large green fields just now...... :p

not_this_shit_again.jpg

ironman said:
All we have to do now is watch the news as things unfold. This is not a game anymore, our wealth is litterally being given away. You can also watch the history channel of WW2 to get a good idea of the things to come.
It is out of topic and engineers shouldn't be that selfish.

World peace.

I guess I take back the idea engineers running the world. ;)

Ironman is getting way too paranoid about non-US-born engineers taking over. All the top engineering corporate firms are run by old white guys. Having junior to mid-level engineers with educations from China, India, or Ivory Coast doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. I don't think patriotism should apply when hiring the best engineer for the job. Engineering is about public safety by being accountable and upholding professional ethics.

By the way, engineers are already in the poor house. We get paid the least for the amount of liability we have to incur every time we stamp a drawing. No one said there would be a pot of gold when choosing this profession.

ironman said:
Im not shooting my mouth off and its not about anybody being inferiour. In the medical profession in the USA you could be the most awsome competent doctor in the world but the bottom line is you are coming to the USA and taking well paying office jobs from natural born citizens thats the real issue. In the medical profession the motivation behind denying forign degrees (unless you are from germany or some other such nation) is to protect US citizens in high paying professions, the engineering field lacks thoes protections and thats the problem. The degree audit is where thoes protections have to kick in to prevent forigneers from competing for good jobs. If immigrants want to come over and pick fruit thats fine but when they start stealing good jobs thats a problem (unless you are some kind of world renound scientist with original papers on complex topics like the german scientists and engineers or WW2). Also if this nation is in such short supply of engineers I would not be having to jump through my own back side to find a new job with higher pay so that argument falls flat on its face.
If you have an undergraduate BS from the USA then its a different story, as far as advanced degrees there are too many variations to really give someone any credibilty based on a graduate degree. Some advanced degrees require upwards of around 100 hrs for astronomy and physics and some "advanced" degrees can be had for 20-30 credits which is hardly enough to defend your forign BS degree.

There will be a reckoning in this nation and most people are not going to like it. Remember what happened when german citizens in the 30's were hanging on by a thread, unemployment was through the roof ....... jobs and money talk, liberal agenda walks.
So I guess ironman is the judge and jury as to who is competent enough to be a licensed engineer in this country. Maybe the reason you can't get a job is because you're a total jackass, and that shows through in your job interviews.

ironman said:
If by other countries you mean Germany, Japan, etc then I agree and if this were a german or japeneese posting I would have less apprehension. China and India are not on that list, they know how to fake it but they are not the real deal, espeically china, their plagerism and academic dishonesty is going to keep them in second world status. Sorry I just cant back some one up with an indian or chineese degree, the substance is just not there and for them to weasle there way in to take american jobs will be delt with in time, less our nation completely crumbles. I would hope that the desendants of the orignal founders of this nation have more resolve than to allow this great nation to be over ran by 2nd rate forigners.
You're an idiot as well as a jackass. Many of the original founders of this nation were immigrants and all of them loved freedom and liberty to the point that they were willing to sacrifice their lives and their fortunes. So I highly doubt they would have restricted entry in to this country to only a few of the privileged class. Reading the Constitution will show that there is nothing in there placing any restrictions on immigration into this country.

Hi,I have a question. I have a bachelors degree from India and masters from US. Also, i have 3 years of experience. I think masters can be substituted as 1 year of experience. So i believe i am eligible for taking PE exam. But i need to do education evaluation. TX board needs no evaluation. Are there any other states that need no evaluation where i am eligible to take exam. Please suggest me.

Thanks and regards,

Sat.
please don't feel offended or leave just because of the comments of a few. Our purpose here is to help people.

I believe CO requires an education evaluation for any non-ABET accredited bachelors degree. The master's degree does count as 1 year of your 4 required years of experience.

Back