Expecting

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
klk: congrats! sounds like everything is going well despite your complications. I hope you and new baby are home soon.

FL,

I went back to the beginning of this thread and read a little bit. Cannot believe it has been over 2 years!! Where has the time gone??

bigray - how are the twins?

Here is Mackenzie now:

MK.jpg

FL,
I went back to the beginning of this thread and read a little bit. Cannot believe it has been over 2 years!! Where has the time gone??

bigray - how are the twins?

Here is Mackenzie now:
Cute! I'll post a pic of mini-Buff when I get a chance.

Congrats on your little one's arrival, klk! I'm glad Emily is doing well. We have friends whose first arrived at 32 weeks - she spent almost a month in the NICU to grow and gain weight, but today she's a healthy, active three year old.

I'm 35 weeks tomorrow. My, how time flies! Last week my doctor noted a significant weight gain (9-10 pounds in 2 weeks) and you could have knocked both of us over with a feather because it sure as heck didn't seem like I could have gained that much so fast. I haven't even been very hungry lately and had relatively little swelling prior to that point. He re-weighed me because he was sure the assistant had written it down wrong - but no, the scale didn't lie! That sort of weight gain can be the first sign of preeclampsia and since I'm at high risk for developing it due to family history, he was taking no chances. My blood pressure was not officially "high", which was a good sign. He also ran bloodwork to check my liver and kidney function and so far there's no sign of serious trouble. He did an ultrasound and non-stress test to check on the baby and fortunately Baby Bug is doing beautifully in there, which was a real relief.

It does mean that weekly visits have started so he can monitor me and the baby more closely - but usually they start weekly visits at 36 weeks anyways. It's just a precaution at this point and we're glad the doctor is so proactive in taking good care of us.

We've made a lot of progress on getting ready for Baby Bug. My shower was a week and a half ago and everyone was so generous. The nursery is almost ready; Mr. Bug finished painting the closet shelving this weekend and I've done all of the baby's laundry and put everything away. The rest of the house is coming along. Mr. Bug did some substantial DIY plumbing so that our downstairs bathroom tub works properly again. I'm definitely nesting - and have needed to be reminded several times to take breaks and rest! The heat is really tough on me despite spending the day in an air conditioned office and going home to an air conditioned house. I just feel the heat big time, and my ankles/feet swell like mad. My poor veggie garden has been sadly neglected this year because I can't even go out to tend the plants as much as I usually do.

Work is insane right now and it's compounded by my desire to wrap up my major projects in the next 2-3 weeks so that if I happen to deliver a week or two early, my tasks can be transitioned more easily to my coworkers. I'll work right up until I go into labor or am induced because I want to save my PTO for my 12 weeks off after the baby's arrival!

Work is insane right now and it's compounded by my desire to wrap up my major projects in the next 2-3 weeks so that if I happen to deliver a week or two early, my tasks can be transitioned more easily to my coworkers. I'll work right up until I go into labor or am induced because I want to save my PTO for my 12 weeks off after the baby's arrival!
Good luck with your remaining weeks. Hopefully things remain as normal as possible.

That's what happened with minisnick. I was writing up all progress reports, funding requests, and getting status memos ready for those taking over my projects while I was out. I got them all done and then minisnick was born the next morning (1.5 wks early).

I just realized I haven't updated people here - She's doing really well. still in the hospital, but possibly "turning the corner" to have her come home. Up until yesterday, she had met three of the 4 requirements to go home (gaining weight, keeping warm, no "spells") but hasn't been able to take all of her food from a bottle (still required some tube feeding). we're seeing a little more progress with her eating, but not quite there yet. As much as I want her home, we're a little scared to take her home just yet - I like having access to highly paid/skilled professional baby sitters.

I also just have to say, I absolutely hate pumping breast milk. I'd rate it worse than labor and delivery (of course, I did have a relatively easy delivery with a 4 lb baby). If it doesn't get better/easier, Emily might end up being an only child as I don't think I could go through this again.

I also just have to say, I absolutely hate pumping breast milk. I'd rate it worse than labor and delivery (of course, I did have a relatively easy delivery with a 4 lb baby). If it doesn't get better/easier, Emily might end up being an only child as I don't think I could go through this again.
It did take awhile to get used to, and I am sure not being able to directly nurse makes it a little more difficult since there isn't the extra stimulation. Hopefully Emily can nurse directly soon and that will make all the difference in the world. Just my 2 cents worth, but I would keep it up until you can nurse her for a few weeks then decide if pumping is really the way you want to go when you go back to work.

If supply is more the issue there are herbal teas that are supposed to help. A lot of the reviews are from moms in your position, since pumping doesn't get as much as nursing. I'm just starting milkmaid tea to see if I can increase my supply since minisnick is gaining weight very slowly. I tried Mother's love more milk plus (the pill form), but only noticed a slight difference. The tea is also a lot cheaper.

I'd also make sure you have the best pump you can afford. The difference between the cheap one I bought at first and my Medela that was wonderful was HUGE.

Good to hear she's doing well! I was nervous to take home our baby who was by all accounts healthy...I can't imagine what it's like to have to take home a preemie.

Thanks snick and csb. I purchased a medela PIS (planning to pump when I go back to work), but my lactation consultant wanted me to use a hospital grade pump to help increase my milk supply, so I ended up renting a medela symphony for a month while my milk supply gets established. The dr told me Emily won't really be able to nurse until her due date, which was mid august. I'm putting her to breast once a day when I go to visit so she can get used to it, and although she does well, she gets really tired. I have another appt with the LC this afternoon. After all I've gone through to get my milk to come in, I'm going to do this for as long as I can stand it.

The only good thing about pumping is that I know exactly how much I produce at a given session - the engineer in me really appreciates the "experiment" aspect of this whole ordeal. Its been kind of cool to be able to see my increase in milk production over the last few days.

klk: glad to here Emily is doing well and I hope she comes home soon.

I'm going to leave the room now so you ladies can continue your conversation.

Thanks snick and csb. I purchased a medela PIS (planning to pump when I go back to work), but my lactation consultant wanted me to use a hospital grade pump to help increase my milk supply, so I ended up renting a medela symphony for a month while my milk supply gets established. The dr told me Emily won't really be able to nurse until her due date, which was mid august. I'm putting her to breast once a day when I go to visit so she can get used to it, and although she does well, she gets really tired. I have another appt with the LC this afternoon. After all I've gone through to get my milk to come in, I'm going to do this for as long as I can stand it.
The only good thing about pumping is that I know exactly how much I produce at a given session - the engineer in me really appreciates the "experiment" aspect of this whole ordeal. Its been kind of cool to be able to see my increase in milk production over the last few days.
Good Luck!

So glad to hear that Emily is doing well. The Medela pumps seem to be the "best" based on reviews...I bought a Medela Freestyle for myself.

Our friends who had the 32-week preemie went through the exclusive pumping thing - it was hard on her to pump round the clock but that milk was so important for the baby to get. They were able to eventually get the baby to latch with the help of a lactation consultant. You're doing a good thing for Emily to pump for her, and hopefully as her due date approaches she'll be able to nurse more from the tap! Apparently eating oatmeal can help boost your supply, as will drinking "Mother's Milk" tea and taking fenugreek capsules.

Baby Bug is 37 weeks tomorrow - full term! Realistically I know once I hit about 38 weeks it could happen at any time, and if I were to go into labor now (or develop pre-eclampsia) they'll deliver the baby rather than wait. It still feels like there's so much left to do before the baby comes, and my OB is on vacation until August 2nd, so I hope the baby decides to gestate a little longer. I packed my hospital bag over the weekend and we're installing the car seat base tomorrow.

Back