Engineering Tech Vs Engineering- PE License

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubbagump

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]Recently, I found out the big difference between abet engineering technology and abet engineering programs when it comes to getting your PE license[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Having an Engineering Tech degree typically requires 6-8 years engineering experience before you can sit for the PE exam. A few states honor engineering tech degrees as engineering degrees and  only requires 4 years.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]When I started my engineering journey in college, let’s just say an administrator encouraged me to do engineering tech because of my background. Crazy, how people still judge a book by its cover. At the end of the day, I’m blessed to have a degree and make something out of it. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I recently passed the FE-Civil exam and will have 8 years of experience in July. I work in PA but live in Ohio.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Can’t take the PE exam in PA because you need 4 years of experience after you obtain your EIT certificate. PA is one of the states that treat both degrees as equal.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Can’t take it in Ohio because my 8 years of  experience will be a few weeks past the application deadline. Would have to wait until 2021.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I’m looking to take it in West Virginia (fall 2020) because you need 6 years of experience for engineering tech. Seems like a real engineering tech friendly state. Not too far of a drive to take the exam either.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]FYI-Some states flat out won’t accept engineering tech for licensure. Some states require an abet masters degree combined with your engineering tech.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I have been waiting a very long time to take this exam and would like to pass it before it turn computer based in a few years. Computer based testing will eliminate all open book resources.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Any advice or positive comments would greatly be appreciated. I have attached a pdf showing each state requirements. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]https://imgur.com/gallery/dwdHrcA[/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back