EIT results - failed again really frustrated - need help

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most important thing to do is NOT GIVE UP.
As an aside, I know a former classmate who failed the FE exam 4 times and passed on the 5th, but passed the PE the very first time he took it. There's a lot to be learned from our ordeals here. Just remember that we're all in this together.

With all these things said, let's make the most out of the weeks ahead and annihilate this thing come October 24th!
I can't tell you how many times I've heard of someone struggling to pass the FE only to pass the PE on their first try. Definitely do not give up. We're all here cheering for you.

Hello Friends,I am really frustrated and started hating myself

this is my 5th attempt, I was very confident that I could pass this time, first two attempts I didnt prepare well, after that I started taking it seriously, this time I worked out lot of problems, followed the free videos posted on texas a & m university, just got the results with a regret note.

BTW I live in california, this state is probably worst when it comes to giving out the results, the delay was horrible. I also sent my applications for PE for this fall, the deadline was last week, EIT results came after a week, I had to pay $275, board might refund half the fee. I was so confident about passing EIT and I had formed a study group for PE with my friends, I wont be able to join that group.

I am really wondering if I have to take the EIT one more time ? I might enter into the guiness book of world records for failing EIT so many times. I have been out of college almost 10 years now. I dont know what to do.

Please give me any valuable advices and let me know if there are other people like me who have failed EIT so many times. :sharkattack:

thanks,

fall2004us

My advice to you is that you need to focus on only the subjects you master or you feel you can master and don't even spend any time studying the other subjects. What you need to do is to go through the subjects of the exam and decide on which ones you want to focus on and study hard (I spent 3 to 4 months at 3-4 hours a day). For the remaining subject you have to rely on luck by selections. Good luck.

Sorry about your plight; I'll share my strategy(which worked), perhaps you can pick something up here.

I've been out of college 20yrs and decided to take the FE test for some sick reason. I ordered the PPI FE review info and looked it over and immediately realized there was no way I would take the common advice of "work every problem in the book" etc, etc. So, I studied the first couple of chapters on math (since that's the foundation of everything), and then studied what I consider to be the easy stuff, like ethics, economics, etc. So, all told I studied about 5 days total for the test. Then I rested up right before the test, made sure my calculator worked, and went and took the test. I picked the electrical portion to take in the afternoon, since I've been an electrical engineer for 20yrs, if I could do the calculation, I could at least make an educated guess.

It seems to me that a big portion of success/failure depends on how good a test-taker the individual happens to be. For a question I can't figure out, I rule out the answers that seem impossible, and guess between the rest.

I know this sounds overly simplistic, but it did work for me. I hope you are successful next time, don't lose hope! It doesn't make any difference how many times you took the test before you passed it.

this is my 5th attempt, I was very confident that I could pass this time, first two attempts I didnt prepare well, after that I started taking it seriously, this time I worked out lot of problems, followed the free videos posted on texas a & m university, just got the results with a regret note.

BTW I live in california, this state is probably worst when it comes to giving out the results, the delay was horrible. I also sent my applications for PE for this fall, the deadline was last week, EIT results came after a week, I had to pay $275, board might refund half the fee. I was so confident about passing EIT and I had formed a study group for PE with my friends, I wont be able to join that group.

I am really wondering if I have to take the EIT one more time ? I might enter into the guiness book of world records for failing EIT so many times. I have been out of college almost 10 years now. I dont know what to do.

Please give me any valuable advices and let me know if there are other people like me who have failed EIT so many times. :sharkattack:

thanks,

fall2004us

I agree with masher in that a big part of the test depends on how good a test taker you are.

I was able to pass the test using the A&M videos and the Lindeburg Review Manual. My strategy for the test was to focus on the stuff I know and make sure I get that 100% right and not focus on the stuff which is difficult for me. Being a mechanical engineer, I didn't spend too much studying for the electrical portion of the general test, but I made sure I studied the thermo and fluids well so I would get those correct on the test.

Which afternoon test did you take? If you took the general, maybe you should take the discipline specific one instead (or vice versa).

I agree with the last 2 postings, masher and ananag.

I was out of school for a year and a half before taking the FE, I didnt worry about studying for fluids and strength of materials since Im an electrical engineer, so I focused on math, stats, econ, chemistry and ethics, I also brushed on my electrical fundamentals.

The morning exam was a killer but the afternoon was a breeze compared to the morning.

I recommend to take the afternoon discipline specific...

Well for those of you that are still struggling to pass the FE keep trying its worth it!!!

Cheers

i suggest taking a long, hot shower, summiting the highest area in your vicinity and allowing waves of a beautiful sunset to irradiate your skin, freeze time by staring into your lover's eyes, realizing that you just might, luckily enough, be naturally inefficient for the mundane, cntrl-c, alt-e-s-v ubiquitous requisites for an engineer. i am fully aware of the emotional responses that may eventuate, however, consideration of why fe/pe tests are fundamental requirements of practicing engineers within our society should be considered. i firmly abide with the fact that if an individual fails, most notably in numerous attempts, to succeed in examination which verifies the competence of that individual in performing a certain task in society, then he/she should refrain from attempting to pursue a profession in that specific area.
u r f***** up dude. why do u think passing an fe exam makes u a gr8 engineer. All those worlds best design were not build by the FE or passed engineers. :banhim:

i suggest taking a long, hot shower, summiting the highest area in your vicinity and allowing waves of a beautiful sunset to irradiate your skin, freeze time by staring into your lover's eyes, realizing that you just might, luckily enough, be naturally inefficient for the mundane, cntrl-c, alt-e-s-v ubiquitous requisites for an engineer. i am fully aware of the emotional responses that may eventuate, however, consideration of why fe/pe tests are fundamental requirements of practicing engineers within our society should be considered. i firmly abide with the fact that if an individual fails, most notably in numerous attempts, to succeed in examination which verifies the competence of that individual in performing a certain task in society, then he/she should refrain from attempting to pursue a profession in that specific area.
u r f***** up dude. why do u think passing an fe exam makes u a gr8 engineer. All those worlds best design were not build by the FE or passed engineers. :banhim:

I agree there is no need for those type of comments. We need to encourage one another...passing the EIT or PE the first time around has no bearing on how one turns out as an Engineer. I know plenty of co-workers who got lucky to pass the exams but have no common sense in the engineering field. All of this stuff is academics. Don't be discouraged, just be honest with yourself on how you are really studying. Make the necessary adjustments (i.e. time management and good material preparation) and "keep your eyes on the prize".

I agree there is no need for those type of comments. We need to encourage one another...passing the EIT or PE the first time around has no bearing on how one turns out as an Engineer. I know plenty of co-workers who got lucky to pass the exams but have no common sense in the engineering field. All of this stuff is academics. Don't be discouraged, just be honest with yourself on how you are really studying. Make the necessary adjustments (i.e. time management and good material preparation) and "keep your eyes on the prize".
Jiggalolo...I realized the same thing while working on an intership in City Government. The people who do the actual review and designing are not the PE's, they are the people underneath them, who spends hours apon hours in the books, reading the law and writing the review letters. The PE just come in, sign and stamp the drawings and sign the review letter, then go back to their office and play solitare.

I took the FE exam and failed 5 times...

So I know what many of you are going through.

thanks,

fall2004us
Hi Fall2004

Buy Fe review manual by Michael R. Lindeburg and study at least once

then revise in d end

i prepared for 2 months

everyday 2 hrs atleast

took general test

Know where the formuales are in the supplementary book (Most important)

I passed

I know a guy who passed in his 6th attempt

thanks,

fall2004us
Hi!

It's been over half a year since the last post, I hope you'd passed the exam in April (assuming you took that one)! If not, I hope what I'm about to say will help the future examinees.

I was lucky to know about the FE test in college. When I took the exam everything was fresh in mind. If people are still in college I highly suggest to take it asap before we forget the fundamentals. I would only assume that finding the time to study post-college is a difficult thing. The PEL website provides the same equation and formula book that we are allowed to use during the test. I think it's beneficial to take a look at that book prior the exam so you know where the topics are, this could save you a lot of time! Although, you should know that the next one (OCT) and on are different (or that is, only in CA). The afternoon session will be divided according to your subject. When studying, and if time is a concern, start by refreshing the topics you already know such as Mathematics and Statics (those two were my easiest), spend most of your time on the topics you least feel comfortable in. Don't underestimate the Economics section. The ethics questions should be free points, just take your time and answer them "truthfully". For the programming part, just learn how to use basic excel. I don't recall them asking any binary codes or anything. Skip Biology if you are rushed in time, there were only three questions in the afternoon session when I took it. Other than that, just go through a guide and do the best you can with it.

Here are two excellent books:

http://www.amazon.com/Review-Manual-Prepar...5586&sr=8-1

and a less expensive one: http://www.amazon.com/Barrons-FE-Fundament...5586&sr=8-2

*The second one is nowhere as good as the first one, but it is quite comprehensive.

Aside from that, just do the good things such as sleeping early before the test day. Have a breakfast, study during the intermission after the morning session, get some fresh air to relax the steam.. things like that.

* fall2004us I want you to know that it is absolutely not embarrassing to take the test a few times. The fact that you are(were) willing to take it again after five times was especially admirable! Most people wouldn't have the guts or ego to take it again after their first ( I certainly wouldn't). You serve as an example to all the engineers in trouble out there. A good engineer isn't all about the brain, it's about creativity and the strive to better oneself and his society. There was a post that says otherwise? Well, there's a reason why we work in teams and not just have one person be in charge of the whole design. You know what I mean...

GOOD LUCK! :)

I strongly recommend http://www.eitexperts.com/ Started classes in Jan 24,2010 and passed with first attempt. I am from Biology background and not related to Engineering,but i could pass by attending this classes.

More power to you, I'm just glad Virginia Tech really pushed us to take the exam while still in college and I was fortunate enough to pass it the first time. I've recently passed the SE I and II but I'm pretty sure that there's no way I could pass the FE anymore. Stay strong and keep studying, you'll get it!

thanks,

fall2004us

First let me tell you some factors why I failed and took it 6 times, for so many people in this board laugh at me, they dont have any clue why it happened to me.

1. I was educated BS Civil and MSc Engineering in the Far East. We are not educated to a level where the focus was passing the FE exam was the target, not like the ABET degree holders, they dont have that much excuse if they failed as much as like me. Our system was focused on Civil Engineering major subjects and our local board was based on this.

2. I graduated 15.5 yrs ago.

3. Some courses like Materials Science was never introduce in our Engineering curriculum, even Probability and Stats wasnt included, I learned this in MSc Engineering.

4. Our Thermo and Electricity wasnt that in depth we didnt reach Cycles and AC circuits.

5. I live in place where I have to do only self review, no PPI review or any review classes are held.

So in general it was a struggle for me, it took me years to grasp everything what the North America covered in their engineering course. I would say I learned it the hard way, I have posted my several study approach for the FE exams somewhere on this forum, feel free to read it, it might benefit you. Two things I would give you a recommendation.

1. Never give up, in the end youll be victorous, and I made it.

2. revise your strategy all the time you fall down and look back why and what went wrong with your study approach and develop good studying techniques.

good luck you can do it.

Steel Man

thanks,

fall2004us

First let me tell you some factors why I failed and took it 6 times, for so many people in this board laugh at me, they dont have any clue why it happened to me.

1. I was educated BS Civil and MSc Engineering in the Far East. We are not educated to a level where the focus was passing the FE exam was the target, not like the ABET degree holders, they dont have that much excuse if they failed as much as like me. Our system was focused on Civil Engineering major subjects and our local board was based on this.

2. I graduated 15.5 yrs ago.

3. Some courses like Materials Science was never introduce in our Engineering curriculum, even Probability and Stats wasnt included, I learned this in MSc Engineering.

4. Our Thermo and Electricity wasnt that in depth we didnt reach Cycles and AC circuits.

5. I live in place where I have to do only self review, no PPI review or any review classes are held.

So in general it was a struggle for me, it took me years to grasp everything what the North America covered in their engineering course. I would say I learned it the hard way, I have posted my several study approach for the FE exams somewhere on this forum, feel free to read it, it might benefit you. Two things I would give you a recommendation.

1. Never give up, in the end youll be victorous, and I made it.

2. revise your strategy all the time you fall down and look back why and what went wrong with your study approach and develop good studying techniques.

good luck you can do it.

Steel Man

After reading the comments. It has given me a little encouragement. I am thinking of taking the EIT test for my 4th time. I really was looking to give up after the 3rd time. I know I havent studied like I needed to in the past, but these comments have given me a little inspiration. I have been out of school since 2004 and really considered whether I needed to change careers. I have been working continuously in the "field" and now that the economy has gone sour, I am finding it hard to complete with those who have certifications even though I have the experience. Best of luck to you if you havent already succeeded.

IMHO, the Civil afternoon is a lot easier. I studied the thin Lenberg (?) Civil Discipline book and thought that was very spot on. I only did a few problem sets in the book and I was able to pass the test and got out an hour early for the afternoon part.

I spent most of my time on the reference manual, trying to understand all the equations and tables in there.

I think once you understand the concepts and the parameters well, it is a lot easier to use the formulas and apply them. Sometimes people try to practice problems so much, and when the problems are changed, even just a little bit of twist here and there, they are lost because it is not asked in the same format or same way anymore.

Do it for yourself and your own good, remove the unnecessary stress of past failures. The past is dead and set!

Just my .02

Better luck next time!

I passed on my 6'th try. I took a preparatory class through Testmasters. It was very labor intensive and it cost me a pretty penny. But even after 5 failed tries I believed in myself enough to put my money where my mouth was. You can do it. I know how it is to doubt yourself and to feel like you wee being judged based upon this. You can do it. That's all you have to continue to tell yourself.

Back