EET-SE Review

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Highly recommend EET. Took the SE Vertical course for the Fall of 2018, and just passed the October 2018 exam. I took the SE exam in 2014, both the Vertical and Lateral without any refresher course and didn't do well. I don't think I would have passed without taking the course. I'm still debating whether to take the Lateral in April or October of this year. But I'll definitely be signing up for the course again. The course has already started for the April exam so I need to make a decision soon. The course is rigorous with plenty of practice problems. I believe if you put in the time and take advantage of everything the course has to offer you'll be at a level required to have a shot at passing. The 2 instructors who teach the SE courses are very knowledgeable were always available for questions. Hope I'll have the same success with the Lateral! Have heard mixed opinions on the Lateral being easier/harder than Vertical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Highly recommend EET. Took the SE Vertical course for the Fall of 2018, and just passed the October 2018 exam. I took the SE exam in 2014, both the Vertical and Lateral without any refresher course and didn't do well. I don't think I would have passed without taking the course. I'm still debating whether to take the Lateral in April or October of this year. But I'll definitely be signing up for the course again. The course has already started for the April exam so I need to make a decision soon. The course is rigorous with plenty of practice problems. I believe if you put in the time and take advantage of everything the course has to offer you'll be at a level required to have a shot at passing. The 2 instructors who teach the SE courses are very knowledgeable were always available for questions. Hope I'll have the same success with the Lateral! Have heard mixed opinions on the Lateral being easier/harder than Vertical.
i think a lot depends on how much seismic design you do in practice, making the lateral easier or not.

To everyone aspiring to pass the SE Lateral (and I would certainly assume vertical, although I did not take this portion of the course) I recommend to take the EET prep course.  I went into the test this October feeling aptly prepared - after having taken both parts this past April and feeling overwhelmed on both days.  The course requires a dogged determination to keep pace and ensure you're spending enough time with each topic, but that's what you have to expect if you're trying to pass this test. The information provided is very solidly written, well organized, and easy to follow and reference.  The two instructors - Ahmed and Foued - are great at what they do and passionate in helping each individual student grasp the material with their out of class availability.  I have recommended this course to everyone that's asked about it since.  People that have come to me at work and browsed my study materials were so impressed that they've considered taking the course even without the express intent of sitting for the exam!  Can't speak highly enough about it.  If you want to pass, take this class!

ugh I didn't keep up the way I wanted to and haven't even done the practice exam yet :( :( :(  failllllllllll. great class though, I agree!

ugh I didn't keep up the way I wanted to and haven't even done the practice exam yet :( :( :(  failllllllllll. great class though, I agree!
No worries, I haven't either. But the final week will be fun. It reminds me of that scene in Star Wars: A new hope, where they are explaining the plan to destroy the death star. And with similar odds. My hope is that in the afternoon, when I open that problem pamphlet and stare in panic at whatever madness NCEES has concocted...I'll suddenly feel calmed by a voice over my shoulder.

"Is that you, Dr. Ibrahim?" I'll say.   

"Yes," he'll reply. "May the (understanding of lateral) force (design) be with you."

At which point I'll rock the test and burn all my codes right outside the facility upon completion, to show my unshakable confidence. 

Last edited by a moderator:
No worries, I haven't either. But the final week will be fun. It reminds me of that scene in Star Wars: A new hope, where they are explaining the plan to destroy the death star. And with similar odds. My hope is that in the afternoon, when I open that problem pamphlet and stare in panic at whatever madness NCEES has concocted...I'll suddenly feel calmed by a voice over my shoulder.

"Is that you, Dr. Ibrahim?" I'll say.   

"Yes," he'll reply. "May the (understanding of lateral) force (design) be with you."

At which point I'll rock the test and burn all my codes right outside the facility upon completion, to show my unshakable confidence. 
I hope you're testing in Seattle.

I hope you're testing in Seattle.
Unfortunately no. But the good thing is that as it turns out, the tears I've collected from my previous attempts make a rather exquisite accelerant; so the pyrotechnics should be visible in both Seattle and Seneca, SC (NCEES HQ) despite the distances involved.

Unfortunately no. But the good thing is that as it turns out, the tears I've collected from my previous attempts make a rather exquisite accelerant; so the pyrotechnics should be visible in both Seattle and Seneca, SC (NCEES HQ) despite the distances involved.
cool, cause I remembered I'm not taking lateral so I wouldn't be there anyway. I'll be sure to stand outside from approx 3p EST through 5p PST waiting for the show.

cool, cause I remembered I'm not taking lateral so I wouldn't be there anyway. I'll be sure to stand outside from approx 3p EST through 5p PST waiting for the show.
That's good to split them up. Lateral is where the true fun begins. EET is a legit class; the instructors have taught excellent material. Around 50% of people will pass vertical on the first try, which is approaching the pass rate of some of the more difficult PE exams. After that walking, into the lateral exam reminds me of when Batman meets Bane the first time in The Dark Knight Rises. Batman is confident, but things go badly very quickly.

*I enter the testing site, feeling good*

Test Proctors: Ah. The Vertical Exam has cost you your strength. Victory has defeated you. 

*I turn in test*

NCEES Graders: You engineer like a younger man. Nothing held back. Admirable...but...mistaken. *marks essay problem 'improvement required'*

*One Essay problem shows I don't know what I'm doing, but I valiantly fight to get enough points*

NCEES Graders: Theatricality and deception...powerful agents to the uninitiated PE graders. But we are initiated, aren't we? *marks essay problem 'unacceptable'*

*I receive the email from NCEES on results. Did I pass?*

NCEES Graders: Ah yes.....I was wondering which would break first. Your spirit...or your body! *marks results unacceptable for licensure*

*I send another check to register for the test again*

NCEES: Your precious test registration fee! Gratefully accepted! We will need it.

Can we get some Marvel quotes next?
*Initial confidence as I walk in, I've taken this test before, right? I have experience*

NCEES: Well, if you consider failure experience.

*I ask NCEES chatbots if there is a way to find out what I did wrong in the essay problems*

NCEES chatbot: No you cannot. But...I know what it's like to lose. To feel so desperately that you're right...yet...to fail nonetheless. It turns the legs to jelly. Dread it...run from it....your unacceptable results arrives all the same. 

Some of you may have spent this past weekend studying furiously. I did not. 

The good news is I programmed a simulation which provided me with all 14 million six hundred and five possible outcomes for this saturday. 

The bad news is I only passed in one of those scenarios.

We're in the endgame now.

The good news is I programmed a simulation which provided me with all 14 million six hundred and five possible outcomes for this saturday. 

Nathan... There was no other way.... (Cal turns to ashes...)

Nathan... There was no other way.... (Cal turns to ashes...)
I can't wait for Endgame so we can get some quotes that are a little more optimistic (hopefully).

I can't wait for Endgame so we can get some quotes that are a little more optimistic (hopefully).
I'm with you there. When the test is over I can focus on cool new movies. Oh and, based on the new trailer from this morning...

*turns in test to proctors*

NCEES graders: You could not live with your own failure. And where did that bring you? Back...to me.

Back