Eco friendly water bottles

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sure you know that bottled water has fewer regulations to pass than city water.
Bottled water is regulated by the FDA, while tap water is regulated by the EPA. My point is not that bottled water is going to kill you. … But there's also no reason to believe it's better.

I for example one of Aquafina's sources is the Detroit River.
True. Of course, it depends on what your local water is like.

Mine tastes horrible. It leaves rust stains after a week or two, and if you fill a glass with water and let it evaporate, there is noticeable buildup of something at the bottom of it.

One of my cats has gotten sick from drinking it - UTI. It's reliable; he drinks the local water, he gets sick after 2-3 days. So we use a purifying filter for him, and drink bottled water for us.

In other words, it's not that we think the bottled water we drink (either Aquafina or Nestle, whichever is cheaper) is clean & pure. We just think it's better than the local water.

Solution? Don't drink bottled water.
I used to agree with that, but...

Around 2000 or so, my wife started to notice that there are an AWFUL lot of cancer cases in our area, and she believed it was the local water. Turns out she was right. A local metal reprocessor had been dumping chemicals and heavy metals into the creek the water plant drew from. They'd been doing it for decades. It turned out that the city had to shut down the water plant immediately and buy water from another municipality until they built a new planet.

So now we drink and cook with bottled water.
I am sure you know that bottled water has fewer regulations to pass than city water.

Bottled water is regulated by the FDA, while tap water is regulated by the EPA. My point is not that bottled water is going to kill you. … But there's also no reason to believe it's better.
It was a choice between a Devil I knew and one I didn't. I KNOW the city water has been bad.

It comes from the Congaree River here...passes through the Columbia water plant, then goes to the bottling plant.

Solution? Don't drink bottled water.
I used to agree with that, but...

Around 2000 or so, my wife started to notice that there are an AWFUL lot of cancer cases in our area, and she believed it was the local water. Turns out she was right. A local metal reprocessor had been dumping chemicals and heavy metals into the creek the water plant drew from. They'd been doing it for decades. It turned out that the city had to shut down the water plant immediately and buy water from another municipality until they built a new planet.

So now we drink and cook with bottled water.

Detroit River is not bad. Lake Huron drains into the Detroit River.

It's the river that goes through Detroit - the Rouge River - that could eat the skin off a carp.

QUOTE (Kephart P.E. @ Aug 28 2011, 04:44 PM) Detroit River is not bad. Lake Huron drains into the Detroit River.

It's the river that goes through Detroit - the Rouge River - that could eat the skin off a carp.
Swill.jpg

I recently had a bottle of water that had "Source: Denver Public Water Supply" right on the label. I'm thinking it was a King Sooper's generic.

At least it's not the LA River:

394346025_6ba7d21db9.jpg

For some reason, that pic strikes me as hilarious. I think it is the Easter basket.

True. Of course, it depends on what your local water is like.
Mine tastes horrible. It leaves rust stains after a week or two, and if you fill a glass with water and let it evaporate, there is noticeable buildup of something at the bottom of it.

One of my cats has gotten sick from drinking it - UTI. It's reliable; he drinks the local water, he gets sick after 2-3 days. So we use a purifying filter for him, and drink bottled water for us.

In other words, it's not that we think the bottled water we drink (either Aquafina or Nestle, whichever is cheaper) is clean & pure. We just think it's better than the local water.
Karen - Just out of curiosity, who is your local water provider?

Karen - Just out of curiosity, who is your local water provider?
The main lines are fine - I have a friend that lives close by. It's the lines closest to my house - my subdivision, a manufactured home park - that are bad. The park is resistant to doing anything about it unless we prove that it's dangerous/illegal.

Note: Yes, I know, manufactured home hahaha. On the other hand, 1600 s.f. for less than it costs to rent a 800 s.f. apt.

At my wife's latest appointment for mini-MS #2 on the way, there was a rather non-affluent-looking man with a female in the waiting room that had a "Yeah, I knocked her up!" t-shirt. Now that is class.

At my wife's latest appointment for mini-MS #2 on the way, there was a rather non-affluent-looking man with a female in the waiting room that had a "Yeah, I knocked her up!" t-shirt. Now that is class.
Someone once wanted to give me a shirt that said "No, they're not real, but my **** is." Fortunately, they'd left their wallet at home. I'd have had to kill them.

We get bottled water by the case here at our jobsite. The ones wrapped in plastic. They're the crappy super thin bottles. Over the last few weeks I've probably sliced open about a dozen bottles now while cutting open the plastic wrap. And that's with my ultra high grade $5 hadji shop knife.

Latest posts

Back