EB Cycling Club

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My theory is if you crash, and your helmet hits the pavement, replace it.
Yep, this will be my M.O. from here on out. I'd never crashed and had my head hit anything before.

I imagine part of the reason I didn't immediately think of this is because I didn't realize I'd hit my head, and it definitely hit the bus, not the ground. I was basically pushed into the wheelwell of the bus, ending up with significant bruises on my inner right forearm and both of my thighs, minimal injury otherwise that I can tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, this will be my M.O. from here on out. I'd never crashed and had my head hit anything before.

I imagine part of the reason I didn't immediately think of this is because I didn't realize I'd hit my head, and it definitely hit the bus, not the ground. I was basically pushed into the wheelwell of the bus, ending up with significant bruises on my inner right forearm and both of my thighs, minimal injury otherwise that I can tell.
@leggo PE Dang, you are unkillable!

Is your bike frame steel or aluminum? You might have to watch out for cracks either way, but steel can take more of a beating.

I'm fairly sure my bike shop is going to check the frame closely. They're going to check frame alignment, too. They didn't have time to do the check yesterday and are closed today, so hopefully I'll get word tomorrow.

Well damn, the estimate came back and is more than double what I was expecting it to be. I think I can take a thing or two off of it (they said my seat is scuffed, but I don't think that was from the accident and if it's what I'm thinking of, that'd save me about 10% of the cost -- Brookes saddle, baby!). I'm having my fiance look it over. I don't think they're being overly conservative about it, but I need to talk with them about it (probably in person) so they can explain everything to me better than an itemized invoice can.

I guess it turns out the front of the bike has a lot of important stuff??

Well damn, the estimate came back and is more than double what I was expecting it to be. I think I can take a thing or two off of it (they said my seat is scuffed, but I don't think that was from the accident and if it's what I'm thinking of, that'd save me about 10% of the cost -- Brookes saddle, baby!). I'm having my fiance look it over. I don't think they're being overly conservative about it, but I need to talk with them about it (probably in person) so they can explain everything to me better than an itemized invoice can.

I guess it turns out the front of the bike has a lot of important stuff??
That's a sweet saddle! Sorry the estimate is more than you were thinking, but this is your commuter bike, right? Or is it your only bike? The correct number of bikes one needs is simply calculated using this formula:

Number of bikes I should own = n +1, with n = the number of bikes I currently own.

I only have one bike, which was my commute/everything bike. So now I'm totally functionally bike-less. Gotta make the decision about whether I want to rebuild that bike, or just keep the frame and good components and buy a new bike. I could always get the money from the guy that it would take to fix it, and add in some of my own money and get a new bike completely.

I really like that frame! I could rebuy the same bike, but it wouldn't be the same color. This is the frame I have: https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/SearchListingDetail.aspx?id=3058785&make=723&model=65373

No matter the decision I make, I will keep the frame and whatever components are still good from the bike.

I only have one bike, which was my commute/everything bike. So now I'm totally functionally bike-less. Gotta make the decision about whether I want to rebuild that bike, or just keep the frame and good components and buy a new bike. I could always get the money from the guy that it would take to fix it, and add in some of my own money and get a new bike completely.

I really like that frame! I could rebuy the same bike, but it wouldn't be the same color. This is the frame I have: https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/SearchListingDetail.aspx?id=3058785&make=723&model=65373

No matter the decision I make, I will keep the frame and whatever components are still good from the bike.
I suggest the Surly Cross-Check if you have to go new. For all around functionality,  you can't beat it. Any bike shop can order it from QBP.

Edit: Ooh! ToP! :bananalama: (kidding, I miss spam)

I suggest the Surly Cross-Check if you have to go new. For all around functionality,  you can't beat it. Any bike shop can order it from QBP.

Edit: Ooh! ToP! :bananalama: (kidding, I miss spam)
I'm actually thinking I am going to go new,  but put enough $ into my beloved Grand Sport to make it safe to ride in the mean time. I think I'm actually going to go with a Soma Stanyan. The real question is, do I want the graphite color (which my bike shop has in stock) or the white color? White looks so cool and classy, but... It's white! Will get dirty so fast.

I'm actually thinking I am going to go new,  but put enough $ into my beloved Grand Sport to make it safe to ride in the mean time. I think I'm actually going to go with a Soma Stanyan. The real question is, do I want the graphite color (which my bike shop has in stock) or the white color? White looks so cool and classy, but... It's white! Will get dirty so fast.
I vote to wait for the color you want.

I vote to wait for the color you want.
Well, it's not that I don't like the graphite color, because I think it looks really good!

My bigger concern is just that scuffs and dirt on a white bike would probably be more visible. I don't really have an issue with waiting.

Well, it's not that I don't like the graphite color, because I think it looks really good!

My bigger concern is just that scuffs and dirt on a white bike would probably be more visible. I don't really have an issue with waiting.
Either way is going to look classy! The Tange Prestige tubing is really excellent Japanese steel tubing. I have some backstock that I use to make bikes for friends. And lugged construction, at that price point, is amazing. Good choice!

Boooo it looks like the white frame in the size I need is sold out. Bummer! So my options are to go with the graphite either as is, or pay $120 to get it custom paint, which is an intriguing option.

My vote is custom paint.  Easier to spot if it ever gets stolen, too!

I found it! The frame in the color in the size I wanted, for 33% off the original wholesale price. At a bike shop less than a mile from my home (though it's not my normal bike shop). Woohoo!

Also, got my old bike back from the shop yesterday. Rode it into work today without incident. It's a little creaky, but that's to be expected seeing how they only did the bare minimum to make it rideable. Got a shiny new fork, handlebars, grip tape, and front caliper.

Back