EB Cycling Club

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you are ok!

I see this at least once a day in when I am in downtown Denver, and now they have these scooters everywhere – its usually low speed and cant really tell if the difference when the bike runs into the car and vice versa –

Any luck on getting them to pay for your bike damage if you were in a designated bike lane with the ROW?

Dunno what the cost is going to be yet. I'm going to take it to my go-to bike shop (which is where I bought my bike) after work today. But I have the guy's info and know where he works, so my prospects are high.

Yikes. Glad you're okay. I know what you mean on the bike though. I once wiped out in some loose gravel and first instinct was to protect my Garmin. Went down elbow first. If the guy was nice enough to transport your bike it sounds like you have a pretty good shot at him living up to his word. 

Do you commute clipped in?

Yes, I do ride clipped in/clipless (stupidest name ever). I was lucky my shoes came unclipped or I could have been looking at additional injuries. It all happened so fast, that I'm not sure how I got them unclipped, but I'm glad I did!

If I'm being honest, I'll probably be riding again later this week assuming my bike is fixed! But I'll be busing tonight, and probably tomorrow assuming they need to keep my bike overnight.

Yes, I do ride clipped in/clipless (stupidest name ever). I was lucky my shoes came unclipped or I could have been looking at additional injuries. It all happened so fast, that I'm not sure how I got them unclipped, but I'm glad I did!
I have wrecked twice with clipless pedals (neither were very serious), and my shoes unclipped without me thinking about them both times.  I think the act of wrecking makes your feet turn enough to unclip without you having to consciously do it.

Glad you made it through (relatively) unscathed.

I have wrecked twice with clipless pedals (neither were very serious), and my shoes unclipped without me thinking about them both times.  I think the act of wrecking makes your feet turn enough to unclip without you having to consciously do it.

Glad you made it through (relatively) unscathed.
Yep, I figured it's somewhat akin to what ski boots do when you crash. But probably takes less force to unclip them.

I took my bike to my bike shop after work today, and they're going to do a crash estimate in which they'll thoroughly check the bike for anything that might have been affected by the crash. At the very least, my front fork is bent. Hopefully nothing's wrong with the frame. Should get word some time today.

The bike guy also mentioned that I should check my helmet for cracks on the outside and compressed foam on the inside, because sometimes you can't see cracks but if the inside foam is compressed, the helmet is compromised. For some reason, this hadn't even occurred to me as something I should do. Well, I get back in the car, check my helmet, and sure enough, there's an impaled crack near the front right temple of the helmet. So yep, of course I hit my head! So now I'm on concussion protocol for the next few days/weeks. I don't specifically remember hitting my head, but I think that's because everything happened so fast. Thank goodness I'm a smart person who DOES wear a helmet. Otherwise, I might not be here writing this right now.

My cracked helmet went in the trash, and now I get to get a new one! I think I'm just going to get the same one in a different color. Jazz things up a bit.

But people, I think you all do, but here's a reminder... WEAR YOUR HELMETS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you're ok Leggo... I almost asked about your helmet yesterday.  It's not something to fool around with.  I have a coworker whose son was warming up for bike race, crashed into a pedestrian and died.  Even falling off your bike at 15+ miles an hour can be fatal.

I took my bike to my bike shop after work today, and they're going to do a crash estimate in which they'll thoroughly check the bike for anything that might have been affected by the crash. At the very least, my front fork is bent. Hopefully nothing's wrong with the frame. Should get word some time today.

The bike guy also mentioned that I should check my helmet for cracks on the outside and compressed foam on the inside, because sometimes you can't see cracks but if the inside foam is compressed, the helmet is compromised. For some reason, this hadn't even occurred to me as something I should do. Well, I get back in the car, check my helmet, and sure enough, there's an impaled crack near the front right temple of the helmet. So yep, of course I hit my head! So now I'm on concussion protocol for the next few days/weeks. I don't specifically remember hitting my head, but I think that's because everything happened so fast. Thank goodness I'm a smart person who DOES wear a helmet. Otherwise, I might not be here writing this right now.

My cracked helmet went in the trash, and now I get to get a new one! I think I'm just going to get the same one in a different color. Jazz things up a bit.

But people, I think you all do, but here's a reminder... WEAR YOUR HELMETS!
I highly, highly recommend Specialized helmets. They are one of the few bicycle helmet makers who voluntarily send samples to destroyed at the Snell Foundation testing lab. I have a friend from engineering school who worked at the testing lab and gave me a tour once. They really, REALLY destroy the helmets.

Also good call on replacing the helmet. Even with a small tumble, I always recommend people to just replace it. All your expensive engineering noggins are not with cheaping out on! :rotflmao:

Back