East Coast Vacation Destination

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you go to the Outer Banks, people are very obsessed with the Wright Brothers(Thats where we first flew) I almost got into a bar fight joking that it wasnt a really big deal, seeing how they only flew about 50 feet.....
damn dude, WTF is wrong with you?

I suppose next, you're going to go to Plymouth Rock and tell them that it's only where they stepped on land and took a dump.

:D
you're only slightly off. Actually Provincetown claims the pilgrims landed there first ( :true: and there's a museum in P-town to that effect) and then moved further in on the coast to Plymouth. They may have left some men (no women) behind at P-town before they left to settle in and take a massive dump in Plymouth.

Momech, there are a lot of islands along the NC coast that have homes and condos available for rent. Here are a few off the top of my head: Sunset Beach....
I will heartily second Sunset Beach. It's just a quiet little island with basically just beach houses...also a couple little shops people like to walk to and the pier...but is also within easy driving distance of Myrtle Beach when you want a little more action. Although, I'll be interested to see if it is changing since they replaced the floating pontoon bridge with the causeway. Used to be you had to time when you were trying to get on or off the island to make sure you didn't get stuck at the bridge. It probably helped keep it as low key as it is. We're actually going down the last week in July after I get done here for our annual extended family trip, but I think this may be our last year because the 12 hour trip is just too much.

I will heartily second Sunset Beach. It's just a quiet little island with basically just beach houses...also a couple little shops people like to walk to and the pier...but is also within easy driving distance of Myrtle Beach when you want a little more action. Although, I'll be interested to see if it is changing since they replaced the floating pontoon bridge with the causeway. Used to be you had to time when you were trying to get on or off the island to make sure you didn't get stuck at the bridge. It probably helped keep it as low key as it is. We're actually going down the last week in July after I get done here for our annual extended family trip, but I think this may be our last year because the 12 hour trip is just too much.
I was there a few weeks ago. I'm not a fan of the new bridge, as I thought the old one had character. But so far no extra commercialization (sp?) has moved on the island.

Funny you should mention that Jeb. We're planning to stop in Cincinnati on our way to catch a Reds game.

I was there a few weeks ago. I'm not a fan of the new bridge, as I thought the old one had character. But so far no extra commercialization (sp?) has moved on the island.
Planning your day around the bridge schedule was kind of a pain, but I still liked the old bridge better (I'm assuming the new one is your standard concrete causeway).

Funny you should mention that Jeb. We're planning to stop in Cincinnati on our way to catch a Reds game.
I'll definitely be trying to get to a few games once I get home. Trying to follow things via the highlights on the Reds webpage just isn't the same. Every once in a while they'll play their games here, but with the time difference, they're on in the middle of the night. I'm hoping we'll get to go to a few games in the MIL's company suite this year too.

We settled on Ocean Isle Beach. I found a place on VRBO. I hope it's as nice as it seems!

you're only slightly off. Actually Provincetown claims the pilgrims landed there first ( :true: and there's a museum in P-town to that effect) and then moved further in on the coast to Plymouth. They may have left some men (no women) behind at P-town before they left to settle in and take a massive dump in Plymouth.
I see what you did there.

We settled on Ocean Isle Beach. I found a place on VRBO. I hope it's as nice as it seems!
That should be pretty nice. I'm back in the country and just got back from several days at Sunset Beach. OIB is more developed than Sunset...they've had easy access for a while now, Sunset just got a new bridge...but it's still a far cry from the craziness you'd get at Myrtle.

We did the fishing thing out of Calabash...it sucked. Seas were rough and we only caught two small sea bass. Took the whole group to the Pirate Voyage at Myrtle one night...it's the old Dixie Stampede only a pirate theme now. The kids absolutely loved it, the wife got hammered and ended up in the show. The best thing we did was a place called Carolina Backwoods about 15 minutes inland in Ash, NC. It's an offroad park so you can take your own 4-wheeler but they also do guided tours on one of their machines which we did. It was $80 for the two hour tour (it actually ended up being about 2 1/2 hours), but it was well worth it. My wife and I had a ball and they have a couple of the longer wheelbase machines so we could take the kids along with us and they loved it too.

2.jpg

that's not sewage I hope. If a couch floats by, throw it out.

Looks like a great time.

Q) Assuming that's you, the missus, and your kids. Who took the pictures?

that's not sewage I hope. If a couch floats by, throw it out.

Looks like a great time.

Q) Assuming that's you, the missus, and your kids. Who took the pictures?

I wondered that too, until I re-read "but they also do guided tours"

They were in the middle of a drought there, but it decided to start raining while we were there. The day we were out it started to downpour about 45 minutes in. The owner/guide was in a Polaris Ranger with a roof so he was fine and most of us were fine with it so we kept at it, except for Jack who decided who decided to hang out with Mrs. Owner back at the office. Didn't make much difference to us because we were getting dirty anyway, but it ended up being a lot more fun in the mud.

The husband/wife go out with you on the tours, except when she's hanging out with someone's kid, so they do pictures while you're out. It's just cell phone pictures, but they do them for free and they aren't too bad so it is a nice gesture. Just to clarify something if anyone decided to try it out...a 2 hour tour is actually $110 but they knock off $30 if you wash your machine down at the end.

Back