East Coast Vacation Destination

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momech

Reaction score
We're looking at taking a vacation to a beach on the east coast in early August. We're looking for somewhere besides Hilton Head Island and Myrtle Beach. We'd like to stay in a hotel or condo on, or very near, the beach for $125/night or less. Can anyone recommend such a place? Oh yeah, we have 2 adults and 3 small children.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are looking to stay a whole week, I would look into renting a house or condo from Sandbridge Realty in Virginia Beach. I've stayed there the past couple of years with a bunch of friends from college. It works better when you have more people (so that the rental is cheaper per person), but the condos are in the mid to low $1000's for a week.

Thanks wilheldp. We are looking at a whole week, but Sandbridge looks like they only have availability on larger condos for that time period. Everything available sleeps at least 8. But yes, that's the kind of thing I'm looking for!

Momech, there are a lot of islands along the NC coast that have homes and condos available for rent. Here are a few off the top of my head: Sunset Beach, Ocean Isle Beach, Holden Beach, Oak Island, Topsail Island, Carolina Beach, Emerald Isle, Atlantic Beach, and the Outer Banks, which includes Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk, Nags Head, Hatteras Island, and Ocracoke. All of these are very family friendly and the first 3 or 4 that I mentioned are within driving distance to both Wilmington and Myrtle Beach, so you could make day trips to either place.

Let me know if you have any questions.

We're headed to Hatteras in Sept.... The house we're getting is something like $950 for the week after all the insurance/etc... it's the first week of the off-season, so the rate is significantly less than now, or Aug... I've have good luck with Midgett Realty, I've personally rented off of them twice now, split rent with my brother and parents once, and went on my parent's dime back in the early 90s... Midgett's website has lots of pics of the houses/etc and will show you the rates per week and availability...

My only beach trips have been to Hatteras and Myrtle... and they are polar opposite... Myrtle is commercial, lots of shops, restaurants, night/day life... Hatteras, is the beach... it's quiet, calm... relaxing... there's one grocery store on the island... a handful of small restaurants and shops... but in general, it's just a bunch of beach houses... There are still lots of tourist-y things to do on the island (pick a light house... any light house), an aquarium, museums... you kinda have the best of both worlds, you get the surf on once side, and the sound on the other...

When you say East Coast, do you specifically mean coastal or just some state with a coastline on the Atlantic?
I don't completely understand your question, but we want a place where we can walk to an Atlantic Ocean beach.

Momech, there are a lot of islands along the NC coast that have homes and condos available for rent. Here are a few off the top of my head: Sunset Beach, Ocean Isle Beach, Holden Beach, Oak Island, Topsail Island, Carolina Beach, Emerald Isle, Atlantic Beach, and the Outer Banks, which includes Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk, Nags Head, Hatteras Island, and Ocracoke. All of these are very family friendly and the first 3 or 4 that I mentioned are within driving distance to both Wilmington and Myrtle Beach, so you could make day trips to either place.
Let me know if you have any questions.
X2.

The Brunswick NC area (Wilmington and south to the state line) is beautiful, family friendly, and very relaxing.

When you say East Coast, do you specifically mean coastal or just some state with a coastline on the Atlantic?
I don't completely understand your question, but we want a place where we can walk to an Atlantic Ocean beach.
Let me clarify: I grew up in NY, an east coast state. I like the Adirondacks, which are 5 hours away from the ocean. I was asking if you meant the region in general, or specifically a coastal trip. I see you mean on the coast.

One of my favorite coastal things to do around here is hang out in the Gloucester/Rockport area. Picturesque New England coastal towns, without the huge crowds on the Cape.

have you looked at http://www.vrbo.com/ ?

depending where you decide to go these are people that have vacation homes they rent directly, we use this whenever we go to the keys and usually get a very nice house for way less than any hotel...

I dont have any experience north of Virginia, but the Outer Banks in NC is very nice. Amelia Island is a nice beach but its more for the over 40 golf crowd, not much for kids to do except the beach (as we found out once)

If you go to the Outer Banks, people are very obsessed with the Wright Brothers(Thats where we first flew) I almost got into a bar fight joking that it wasnt a really big deal, seeing how they only flew about 50 feet.....

^it makes for some great people watching.....especially after dark.

Some of the world's best scrapbookers summer there.

have you looked at http://www.vrbo.com/ ?
depending where you decide to go these are people that have vacation homes they rent directly, we use this whenever we go to the keys and usually get a very nice house for way less than any hotel...
Yes. And I agree. That's how I found our condo at HHI a couple years ago. This time around, I'm having trouble finding much in our price range.

So you're looking to spend a total of about $1000 for 7 nights? I'll be heading to Atlantic Beach this weekend I'm sure, so I'll look and see what's available. There are many,many options, I just don't know how much.

If you go to the Outer Banks, people are very obsessed with the Wright Brothers(Thats where we first flew) I almost got into a bar fight joking that it wasnt a really big deal, seeing how they only flew about 50 feet.....
damn dude, WTF is wrong with you?

I suppose next, you're going to go to Plymouth Rock and tell them that it's only where they stepped on land and took a dump.

:D

Where ever you are headed, and like Road Guy suggested I would use vrbo.com or homeaway.com to find a place to stay...I've had luck with both, not on the east coast, but beach and lake rentals...

Back