How Bout another Corporate Horror Story?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

conradbl

Sorry for the length, but 1. Since several folks have been getting on the whole ?co-worker/colleague/office horror stories?; 2. Being that Christmas is near; and 3. I have admittedly not participated much in the forums, I figured I?d jump on the band-wagon. Here goes:

I have been employed for a little over 3 yrs by what I?d estimate as a small-to-medium size civil/enviro/survey company with several offices in the Midwest, and our particular office being the smallest. My boss is pretty easy to work for, easy-going, low-stress. The benefits are pretty good. For some reason or other, this seems to be the year of discontent.

Item 1. We have a CAD guy (I'm noticing a general trend with CAD guys being mentioned in these things) who for some reason (I?m guessing he has naked pictures of my boss in compromising situations), gets away with a lot of crap. There were rumblings this summer that his timesheets claimed he was arriving at work at 4:30 a.m. everyday, supposedly not taking lunches, so essentially getting oodles of OT and billing extra time to some of our big-time clients.

This was brought to my boss?s attention and his solution was to SHOW UP AT 5:30 a.m. for a week to ?investigate? (I know this because I was coming in early at that time because we had a deadline). Who?s he kidding? One of my co-workers did a little investigating himself and would be in the vicinity of the building to witness what time exactly the guy was coming in. For the most part, it was a half-hour or more later than what was being put on his timesheets. So not only is the guy pocketing more money from the OT, but he is also taking away from our profit-sharing yadda yadda yadda. And he?s a jerk to boot (reference previous posts about some CAD guys being jerks, who, when you ask them to make a few changes on a drawing, react as if you just asked them to go castrate 18 litters of pigs). Note: we do have some nice CAD guys. I could go on about this guy in particular, but I don?t wanna add more to this, just understand that he is in general a jerk, and no one likes him.

Anyway, on to Item 2 & 3 (related), the new HR guy and the new health care plan. I just don?t get it with this guy. He?s something like 60 years old, used to work at a large corporation, and when mentioning around town who we hired as the new HR guy, the general response is: ?you gotta be fuckin shittin me! You hired him?!?!? Even from my boss?s brother. The thing that doesn?t smell right about this hire is that he goes to the same church as my boss. But he just doesn?t seem to fit in, doesn?t try to get to know you, and to boot, he has issued several company memos, and GOT THE NAME OF OUR COMPANY WRONG! Does he even care? Plus, he is a really loud talker on the phone ? annoying.

Anyway, it?s that time of year whey you usually get the Healthcare sign-up etc, so what does this guy do? Sends out a company-wide email with all the forms as 8 attachments, and the kicker is that our insurance premium paycheck deductions went up around 30-40%, and the deductible went up 400%. Four hundred freaking percent! So we get this email, and for sure people will have questions on this, but the guy sends the email at 2:58, and at 3:00 is gone. Out the back door.

Now these increases don?t really affect me right now because I?m single and the company pays my premium. I am a healthy young stallion who hasn?t been to the doctor once in the past 2 years (and that was for knee surgery). It will be affecting me come the end of February because I?ll be getting hitched and adding my wife-to-be to the plan. (they don?t cover the spouse?s premiums, which I suspect is typical across the industry). But what about the people with families who will most likely have more DR. visits and they have to find ways to be able to afford the new health insurance? Now I?m no insurance guru, but you?d think if the deductible went up, your premiums would go down, kind of like a risk thing, same thing with car insurance. What gives here? They supposedly did a lot of investigating, blah blah blah, but none of us here believe he is shooting straight with us. Our general consensus is that there is $$ being scrimped in certain places to pay this doofus? albatross salary.

Is this what it's gonna be like? Makes the whole thought of starting my own company seem more and more tempting. I've never been around an HR guy, but I thought they were supposed to look out for the people, and have some tact. I can tell you if was a prospective employee and interviewed with him, he would be a deal-breaker.

I?ve really loved working here the past few years, and I?ve learned a lot, but this past year has been hard, and the morale seems to be getting worse, and I am not claiming to be perfect myself, but a lot of ugly stuff seems to go on. If I didn?t have this wedding and honeymoon coming up, I?d leave in a heartbeat. Hey, that's a good idea, maybe I'll just take an extra long honeymoon, and never come back! I?m willing to stick it out-maybe till my new vacation hours roll in next October, but ultimately mine and my bride-to-be?s plan is to bolt somewhere to the east coast. This past year is making that decision A LOT easier. Anyway, rant off; I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I?m keeping my fingers crossed for those of you waiting for your P.E. results.

Life's too short to put up with too much bullshit. Plus, it only empowers the assholes by letting them get away with it. I'd start looking around, especially if you get the good news in January.

benefits are part of your "total compensation package" or that is what they call it here. So I do look at the car I get, plus the 8 percent they match in the pension, and the compny provided (in part) insurance when I look at what I get.

so you just got a pay cut.

what the new guy does not understand is that the company makes money because it's employees provide a service that the company marks up. if the employees are unhappy and stop producing, or just plain leave, they don't make money so good. and then they can try to rehire and go through the expense of re-training.

don't make it personal about the new guy, just go to the boss and tell him that this new policy will make it hard to stay there.

Unless the project is lump sum or the CAD is billing OT to overhead, this should help you in profit sharing. doesn't make it right though.

wow, what insurance do you have? unless you are joking about the 400% (I am sure it went up but 400%?)

I recall when I was interviewing at some of the midsize to smaller firms,a lot of them woud always pay the premium for one employee and then everything else was "on you".

We have united healthcare, premiums either didnt go up or the company paid them, but we are at right around $300 / month (total family health, dental, vision) with $25 co-pays (EPO) I have been happy its decent insurance..

yep, the premiums went up (+/- 30% per paycheck) and the deductibles went up as I said, 400%. according to the official "email", they spent "many weeks investigating" the healthcare options. we are with blue cross/blue shield. who knows, maybe healthcare is skyrocketing like that, and we have not been hit with it until this year. but the whole way it went down just seems fishy.

usually we hear rumblings of "upcoming health care re-election" via some sort of company questionairre, sent out sometime october/november, regarding possible needs for the next year. that way, i suppose the company can shop around and get quotes/rates......but this year? we just got the "email" on dec 1, stating that health care election forms were due in a week. makes us all wonder how much "investigating" went on.

and word has it that this HR guy will be managing our 401(k) stuff in the near future.....can you say, scary???

now i'm pissed off again. uggggghhhh!! you guys have any of those homebrews ready?

so how much is your insurance per pay period? If my insurance goes up more than a few bucks it usually negates whatever crappy raise I will get this year..

We have BCBS here at work and its not that bad. Our rates went up about 3 / month next year but its still only 80/month for just me. I dont think our deductable changed.

We have BCBS and my deduction went down to like $300/month. For my wife and 2 kids.

However our ER coverage went up. Was just a $100 copay for ER visits. Now its $200, plus we have to pay 15% of the rest. Up to a maximum of $1000 out of pocket per year.

By the way, a dose of motrin, and two cherry popsicles get billed as $65. And thats before you even see the MD.

Latest posts

Back