Earthquake Anyone

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are probably right but; Do you think they are going to take any chances there?
No, and they shouldn't - it absolutely should be investigated. I'm just laughing at the news coverage of it, and how it's in panic mode about a few cracks.

I just hope that the follow the Engineer's instincts and calculations: If it needs repairs, repair. If it doesn't, leave it alone.
http://www.wjla.com/articles/2011/08/washi...wide-65591.html

OK, now a 4' x 1" crack, that sounds like it's something that needs repair. Assuming that it's not just a 1" section of spiderweb-cracked concrete.

I was in a briefing room when we got the first reports on the BBC. My wife grabbed my daughter as soon as the house started to shake. My daughter looked at her like she was crazy and kept eating her snack.

Here's a pic of said crack.

fbdc9fff125ad113f60e6a706700eec7.jpg

<----- Engineer who thinks you would have to be bat-**** crazy to do this, but then again, I'm scared of heights.
<----- agrees in all particulars. I can barely stand to climb an 8' tall portable ladder. Oddly, I can look out over a 50 story drop without issues.

Back