Earthquake Anyone

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^ It seems that he has been having trouble getting on top of things lately.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first article I read said "some cracks"... it reminded me of how homeowners will call engineers about every little crack in their floor or concrete wall, so I was sitting there thinking "wait, concrete cracked? And the problem is..?"

Not to say it couldn't be significant cracks - that's very possible - but people without training, in my experience, will frequently get excited about damage that is in no way structurally important.

The first article I read said "some cracks"... it reminded me of how homeowners will call engineers about every little crack in their floor or concrete wall, so I was sitting there thinking "wait, concrete cracked? And the problem is..?"

Not to say it couldn't be significant cracks - that's very possible - but people without training, in my experience, will frequently get excited about damage that is in no way structurally important.
You are probably right but; Do you think they are going to take any chances there?

One night in the summer of 05, while on a project in Montana, an earthquake hit and made me feel like a little girl. I was fighting a cold and decided to chug a bunch of nighttime syrup before bed. As I was just starting to drift off, my upstairs apt. started to shake, and in a semi-hallucinagenic state It seamed as though ktulu itself was ripping open a portal in my bedroom. I clenched the blankets around my head so tight for what seemed like an hour, found out the next day it was 5.6 100 mi. away. You should get carded for cough syrup, it is the shiite.

You are probably right but; Do you think they are going to take any chances there?
No, and they shouldn't - it absolutely should be investigated. I'm just laughing at the news coverage of it, and how it's in panic mode about a few cracks.

I just hope that the follow the Engineer's instincts and calculations: If it needs repairs, repair. If it doesn't, leave it alone.

One night in the summer of 05, while on a project in Montana, an earthquake hit and made me feel like a little girl. I was fighting a cold and decided to chug a bunch of nighttime syrup before bed. As I was just starting to drift off, my upstairs apt. started to shake, and in a semi-hallucinagenic state It seamed as though ktulu itself was ripping open a portal in my bedroom. I clenched the blankets around my head so tight for what seemed like an hour, found out the next day it was 5.6 100 mi. away. You should get carded for cough syrup, it is the shiite.
Back when I was a kid, I slept through a quake while sick. My dream? I was in a 3d Tetris game, with blocks falling quickly all around me, slamming into the ground and making it shake.

I'm on the second floor of a 100 year old building, and we were rocking pretty good....I sat very still trying to determine what my excape route would be. Still pretty cool though, it was my first one. Now on to the Hurricane!

I'm on the second floor of a 100 year old building, and we were rocking pretty good....I sat very still trying to determine what my excape route would be. Still pretty cool though, it was my first one. Now on to the Hurricane!
It looks like steering to the East. Hopefully will not make landfall and will only be a "rain storm".Praying for all of you in the East coast. My friends, hurricanes are not to be taken lightly. They are nasty, and very powerful.

Back