dont wear american flags on mexico's holiday

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
Truly our Country is and has been headed down the wrong path....

I hope our friends at the ACLU will pick up this fight.. <sarcasm>

also fyi a week or so after the french defeat on may 5th, the French Army came back and gave an actual ass kicking to mexico but I dont know what day they celebrate that holiday?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36981179?GT1=43001

Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

On any other day at Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Daniel Galli and his four friends would not even be noticed for wearing T-shirts with the American flag. But Cinco de Mayo is not any typical day especially on a campus with a large Mexican American student population.

Galli says he and his friends were sitting at a table during brunch break when the vice principal asked two of the boys to remove American flag bandannas that they wearing on their heads and for the others to turn their American flag T-shirts inside out. When they refused, the boys were ordered to go to the principal's office.

"They said we could wear it on any other day," Daniel Galli said, "but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today."

The boys said the administrators called their T-shirts "incendiary" that would lead to fights on campus.

"They said if we tried to go back to class with our shirts not taken off, they said it was defiance and we would get suspended," Dominic Maciel, Galli's friend, said.

The boys really had no choice, and went home to avoid suspension. They say they're angry they were not allowed to express their American pride. Their parents are just as upset, calling what happened to their children, "total nonsense."

"I think it's absolutely ridiculous," Julie Fagerstrom, Maciel's mom, said. "All they were doing was displaying their patriotic nature. They're expressing their individuality."

But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.

"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July."

As for an apology, the boys and their families say, "fat chance."

"I'm not going to apologize. I did nothing wrong," Galli said. "I went along with my normal day. I might have worn an American flag, but I'm an American and I'm proud to be an American."

The five boys and their families met with a Morgan Hill Unified School District official Wednesday night. The district released a statement saying it does not agree with how Live Oak High School administrators handled this incident.

The boys will not be suspended and they were told they can go back to school Thursday. They may even wear their red, white, and blue colors again, but this time, the day after Cinco de Mayo, there will be no controversy.

"I think it's absolutely ridiculous," Julie Fagerstrom, Maciel's mom, said. "All they were doing was displaying their patriotic nature. They're expressing their individuality."
BS. They knew what they were doing, and were likely causing other trouble outside of just how they dressed.

They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.
"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July."
BS. They were either looking to pick a fight over something, or looking for something to get them in the news. Apparently the latter succeeded.

I'm seriously tired of the hyper-sensitive attitude of most Americans.

I disagree Wil. This is a free country and we have the right to wear whatever we want whenever we want. Period. Wearing an American flag is not incendiary and it is not a crime. People should understand that their rights end where other's start.

It is not that they were wearing the American colors in Mexico. They were/are in their country( USA , land of the free...last time I checked) The problem is that many people come to this country to improve but pretend to replicate the way of life they left behind. Not all the people in the world know when each and every country celebrates their independence day. If somebody wants to celebrate their independence day they are more than welcome, good for them, but I do not have to celebrate with them because if I do not give a hoot.

I disagree Wil. This is a free country and we have the right to wear whatever we want whenever we want. Period. Wearing an American flag is not incendiary and it is not a crime. People should understand that their rights end where other's start.
You must have misunderstood me...I don't think they should have been sent home for what they were wearing. But I also don't believe that is the only reason they were sent home.

BS. They knew what they were doing, and were likely causing other trouble outside of just how they dressed.

They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.
BS. They were either looking to pick a fight over something, or looking for something to get them in the news. Apparently the latter succeeded.

Which part did I misunderstand?

The part where you assumed that I thought their major offense was wearing an American flag. I'm not going to take MSNBC's word for it that these guys were just wearing the next shirt in their rotation, or randomly displaying their patriotism, or performing sort of silent protest against immigration...any of which would have been OK in my book. I have a feeling, arguably unfounded, that they were actively mocking the latino students or otherwise trying to incite an incident. In that case, the school has the right to take actions to remove the threat.

Which part did I misunderstand?
I'm think with Will here. Nowhere does it say whether or not these kids routinely wore their American bandanas and t-shirts and this was just another routine day, or if they specifically chose to wear them on Cinco de Mayo. Either way it should be a non-issue, but if it were the latter, then I believe these kids donned the flag not out of "patriotism" but instead as an "in-your-face" gesture to the Mexican contingent. Similarly the "offense" felt by the Mexican side is an emotional response to the "in-your-face" gesture.

IMHO, this is typical high school BS. Then the school administration tried to take the PC route in order to quell the chance of any confrontations between the two by showing they are "sensitive to Mexican-Americans". screw that the adminstration was wrong..

If the Mexican-Americans want to wear Mexican flags here on the 4th of July they can have at it. That's what this country stands for. However, doing while they stand in line for free "aid" and other social programs from the American government is pretty damn hypocritical

The media jumps on this crap because people get emotionally charged of these things and it "makes news" and get viewers.

How many times have I said it. People suck.

[off rant/]

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if they wore it to provoke the Mexicans, they shouldn't have been asked to remove them, for Pete's sake. It is the American Flag and last time I heard, this was still America.

It isn't like white kids wearing the Confederate flag shirt on MLK day.

The last time I checked, we were all AMERICANS... not (insert nationality here)-Americans. It is one thing to be proud of your heritage, but as a citizen here you are an AMERICAN with no hyphen. If you don't like, please feel free to go back to the country of your origin, something tells me you like it here a lot more than you would there.

Just my two cents... I'll get off my soapbox now and go back to spamming in the 10k thread.

Again...even if they wore the American flags on purpose as an "in your face" statement to the Mexican students, I don't think they should have been sent home or forced to remove the flags. I really think that they were engaging in active taunting or other behavior to incite rage in the other students. Also, again...I don't have any proof of this other than my utter lack of respect for mainstream media reporting only the convenient facts.

Last night the spin instructor at the gym wanted to do a Cinco de Mayo themed class. He does these things every once in a while and the results have been pretty funny. We had a beach party spin class (everyone showed up in Hawaiian shirts, leis, etc.. There was a new years class too. Anyway, yesterday was Cinco de Mayo themed, and I couldn't think of anything to wear for it. I figured a sombrero would be good, but couldn't find one easily, so I did the only thing I could think of, I dressed up as a soccer player. Problem was, I didn't have any Mexico jerseys, mine are all England jerseys. So I went to spin class wearing shin guards & socks, soccer cleats, soccer shorts and a shirt that said "ENGLAND" across the front. I thought it was funny. Oh, I wore goal keeper gloves too, but apparently they are past their sell by date. They are probably 15 years old at this point. I can't remember the last time I used them, but the material seems to have past it's prime and the gloves nearly fell apart just when I put them on.

Even if they wore it to provoke the Mexicans, they shouldn't have been asked to remove them, for Pete's sake. It is the American Flag and last time I heard, this was still America.
It isn't like white kids wearing the Confederate flag shirt on MLK day.
agreed and FWIW tghwe white kids should be allowed to wear the confederate flag on MLK day. Even though it's morally wrong it shouldn't be illegal.

Again...even if they wore the American flags on purpose as an "in your face" statement to the Mexican students, I don't think they should have been sent home or forced to remove the flags. I really think that they were engaging in active taunting or other behavior to incite rage in the other students. Also, again...I don't have any proof of this other than my utter lack of respect for mainstream media reporting only the convenient facts.
I don't believe "taunting" or other incitement necessarily took place. People could be "offended" without it and school official are p%ssies and VERY QUICK to give in based on "sensitivity".

I fly the american flag at my house pretty much from April to Oct. (just a wall bracket) - yesterday....hmmmm, yeah, it was still flying! I'm sure glad nobody asked me take it down - but we did have enchilada's last nite so there you go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was all rilled up until I saw it was a story from Cali. That state is F'ed in the head to a degree that is of some Nth power.

[soap box]

This is is America, if you come here illegally you deserve ANY punishment that the US gov't hands down to you. Don't start giving me that BS about how "we are all immigrants" because the colonists came here PRIOR to a national government being established OR boarders. So there are no "illegal" immigrants if there are no legal boarders.

As for the laws in Arizona. I see nothing wrong with what they have done. There is no racial profiling going on. Sure they are going to be checking more "spanish looking" people than whites, but thats because they BOARDER MEXICO. Would you be looking for illegal Icelandic people in Arizona? Plus, for some reason people seem to think it is wrong for the State to punish people for breaking the law.... Am I the only one that thinks it would be a good idea to get these lunatics in a single room and unleash a bunch of hungry wolverines or something? I tire of hearing on the news how the ACLU or the NAACP is going after XYZ company or XYZ State because they are implementing rules or laws that prohibit illegal activities, and them saying its "racism".

Too bad Obama is caving so quickly on this, there is a serious illegal immigrant issue in the country. He could have made an example of Arizona and supported them. Instead he just slammed them, probably without reading the law first. He may not have even read it yet. And he may just be doing this to get the "republicans are bad" thing. Which is a whole other soap box.........

[/soap box]

Wearing a confederate flag on mlk day may be "wrong" but the confederate flag in itself is not morally wrong. People use it in an immoral way which is the only reason the connection exist. Slaves came to this country under ships with English, French, and us flags. I challenge you to find a CSA flagbearing ship that brought any to the states. Of course all they teach kids in school these days is that the war against northern agression was all about slavery.

And I don't doubt the kids were provoking other students but again the us flag represents all us citizens regardless of where they came from.

Actually, the Arizona law is promoting racism. There was a story in one of our local papers here int he islands the other day. I'll try to dig it up and post it. Basically, a couple of islander kids (teenager-college aged), who had moved to Arizona with their families several years ago, went to a Wal-mart to use some sort of money wiring service to send money back to their relatives here in the islands, and the clerk at the Wal-mart asked to see their immigration papers or other ID to prove that they were US citizens, because of the new law.

So on the face of it, perhaps you can claim that the Arizona law is not racist. But it is resulting in people lashing out at "brown people" now.

Here's the article:

http://www.saipantribune.com/newsstory.asp...99325&cat=1

FWIW, I agree with Wilheld. I think we should respect the teachers and the administrators. Let them decide how to run their school. They probably know alot more about these boys and what they were intending to do. The press is probably manipulating what happened to the sake of a good story.

If you're illegal, you're illegal. HELLO! McFLY!!! GTFO

If you don't support the Arizona law, go pound sand.

If you're an American, you're an American. Wear that flag on any God-given day you want.

^ So if I am an American citizen who happens to have brown skin, and find myself in Arizona being harassed by dumbshit racist clerks who think this law gives them an excuse to exercize their prejudices against people who aren't white, I should just leave?

Back