Don't know what to do anymore!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have taken the ME PE two times and this fall will be the third. I have been out of College for 22 years which does not help. I am very strong in some areas and week in others, i.e. I worked 15 years as a Manufacturing Process Engineer so I am very good at economics, bolting, materials, etc. I am now a Project Engineer in the Nuclear field and am exposed to ASME Code design and analysis which is why I now need the PE license. I am a very hands on engineer and can build what I design if need be. The PE is another experience all together. The exam it not at all what I thought it would be but it is what it is. I have had to go back to the basics in some areas and start over just because I hadn’t used that knowledge I once learned in college. For the first attempt I took a course and worked allot of problems and read allot of the MERM. For the second attempt I read the entire MERM and did all the problems in it. For this last attempt I am working allot of problems and also doing spot reading when needed. I will have at least 900 hours into this and well over $1,500. As I never failed an engineering exam and actually graduated cum laude it is not easy getting that letter that you did not pass. I know I just messed up on some problems due to nerves or just lost focus and I knew it was close because of it (65, 68). I also thought that reading the problems and then working them would waste allot of time but it does help calm the nerves some. If you get to a problem that is difficult mark it and move on and keep your eye on the watch. You also need to be very organized, i.e. tabbing your reference manuals, etc. For this attempt I actually created my own quick reference table of contents. Good luck, your not alone.

Hi, how long are the references good for in CA & all other states ?

I'm wondering why he took the exam every 18 months, instead of every 6 months.

Hi, how long are the references good for in CA & all other states ?I'm wondering why he took the exam every 18 months, instead of every 6 months.
In VA the application is good for 3 years. So you can take it every 6 months if needed to pass but after 3 years you maybe denied if you failed a number of times. I would assume you would also have to at least get new PE references to show you are still working in the field and are in good standing but I would have to check.

Back