Does a Pass Letter mean more money?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering that 62K is a 13% raise from where I'm at as an EIT here in Denver, it's not bad. I'm able to make the EIT money work with 2 kids, a wife in school, a rent payment ($1200) and a car payment. It's all about being resourceful.
Obviously cost of living varies across the country (and world). If I made 62K in central Kansas, I would be living VERY comfortably compared to the much tighter southern Cali. Location is just as important as experience and expertise when it comes to salary consideration.
Exactly. 62 is about a 13% raise for me. I just passed my test so I should make up a good bit of the difference when I get licensed. BUT, I own my house here in La. It's small (1040 sq ft) but only runs about $600 with half an acre of land.

Considering that 62K is a 13% raise from where I'm at as an EIT here in Denver, it's not bad. I'm able to make the EIT money work with 2 kids, a wife in school, a rent payment ($1200) and a car payment. It's all about being resourceful.
Obviously cost of living varies across the country (and world). If I made 62K in central Kansas, I would be living VERY comfortably compared to the much tighter southern Cali. Location is just as important as experience and expertise when it comes to salary consideration.
Not to mention the "tornado factor" in central Kansas!

Well...I guess im the guy everyone is going to hate. With out the PE im expecting a 10% raise next month!! For passing the PE I get a 12% raise plus I move up a pay range allowing me to top my salary out at 20K more then Im currently at in ADDITION to the 10% raise I get in July.

For me, it means about a $700 reimbursemnt for all the fees, books, calcs, etc. I bought in preparation for the PE. It's not really profit, but since I paid that stuff off a long time ago, it seems like a bonus now.

Well...I guess im the guy everyone is going to hate. With out the PE im expecting a 10% raise next month!! For passing the PE I get a 12% raise plus I move up a pay range allowing me to top my salary out at 20K more then Im currently at in ADDITION to the 10% raise I get in July.
Yeah you were right we all hate you. ;) Congrats on all the new found wealth, the rest of us public servants will beg for crumbs.

That's nice. Does an increase in job responsibility come with your raise correlating to your PE? I would think it should. Anyways, money is nice, but I also passed the PE for a good sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. It's also nice to have increased respect from the folks working with you. :)

That's nice. Does an increase in job responsibility come with your raise correlating to your PE? I would think it should. Anyways, money is nice, but I also passed the PE for a good sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. It's also nice to have increased respect from the folks working with you. :)
Acctually no.....I work for the state of California so in a way you could say I will have less responsibility.......My position with the state is few and far between but I cant complain. Just need to pass that PE to reap the benifits.....oh and yes I do get reimbursed for my test taking efforts and the periodic renewal fees.

I have been tasked with researching this subject for my boss so that when he meets with the partners they can decide how much to give me. So far I have seen everything from zilch all the way up to 20%. The company I work for has hired PEs before but I am the first one to get a PE while working for the company. So I am setting the precedent. They have always been very generous to me so I don't want to take advantage of the situation. This is almost like picking your own switch only in reverse. If I shoot too high I won't be taken seriously but shoot too low and I will miss some of my major life/career goals and not be satisfied. Any and all input is much appreciated.

I have been tasked with researching this subject for my boss so that when he meets with the partners they can decide how much to give me. So far I have seen everything from zilch all the way up to 20%. The company I work for has hired PEs before but I am the first one to get a PE while working for the company. So I am setting the precedent. They have always been very generous to me so I don't want to take advantage of the situation. This is almost like picking your own switch only in reverse. If I shoot too high I won't be taken seriously but shoot too low and I will miss some of my major life/career goals and not be satisfied. Any and all input is much appreciated.
Well since I work for the state and my salary info is public knowledge already I have no problem posting numbers. Currently im at the bottom of Range C so 5,904. You can only recive whats called Range D if you hold the beloved PE. Hear is what I get now.

Range A $4,579 to $5,253

Range B $5,199 to $6,251

Range C $5,904 to $7,107

Range D $6,570 to $7,917

Not to mention that after July 1 all ranges are suppose to jump roughly 10% due to union negotiations.

So if I never pass the PE, I stop at 7107 a month. I pass the PE I stop at 7917 a month. My advise is devise a chart such as this for your boss and present it to him. Its not like he is going to drop your salary for passing the PE.

Well since I work for the state and my salary info is public knowledge already I have no problem posting numbers. Currently im at the bottom of Range C so 5,904. You can only recive whats called Range D if you hold the beloved PE. Hear is what I get now.
Range A $4,579 to $5,253

Range B $5,199 to $6,251

Range C $5,904 to $7,107

Range D $6,570 to $7,917

Not to mention that after July 1 all ranges are suppose to jump roughly 10% due to union negotiations.

So if I never pass the PE, I stop at 7107 a month. I pass the PE I stop at 7917 a month. My advise is devise a chart such as this for your boss and present it to him. Its not like he is going to drop your salary for passing the PE.
Thanks for the info.

For me, not really as related to passing.
Company gives automatic $500 on-time bonus for a pass, but no ongoing salary increase. However, it has been made clear that I will not be able to continue at my current pay grade without the PE since the pay grade descriptions have been re-written in the last couple of years, and mine now says "has a PE license". So, indirectly there is money on the table.
I think we work for the same place. Got my $500 bonus in for passing in October '07, and nothing else.

Latest posts

Back