Does a Pass Letter mean more money?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I asked my boss for a raise today...
He just laughed and said no...

I was crushed.....
I just asked also and I am told I will be promoted to a Sr. level with 5% raise in addition to the annual 5% merit increase that I am due in couple of month. I guess it is not that bad heh...

My company just recently changed their policy from an additional $100/month to an additional $500/month extra. Essentially $2.88/hour bump.

My company just recently changed their policy from an additional $100/month to an additional $500/month extra. Essentially $2.88/hour bump.
that's really generous...5% increase in my case will be some 300 or so a month......

I am not sure exactly what the written policy is in my company, but I know that the most recent guy in our office to get his professional certification (for him, Professional Geologist - they treat us the same, so it is probably comparable) received an increase of $1200.....that equates, for me, to 1.7%. That sucks, but for me to move into the next position, which is waiting for me since my boss moved up about 5 months ago, I have to pass. That promotion should carry a significant raise in the next year (assuming I passed....which is a very dangerous assumption).

Last edited by a moderator:
I STILL haven't gotten a raise for passing in Oct '07. I think I will this year, but my company ONLY ever gives raises in relation to the end-of-year review. My '07 review was conducted a week before I took the Oct exam... and my raise went into effect a week after I received my results. So, my company gets a whole year to bill me as a PE without paying me like one. It sounds bad, but since last year's raise was 8% and did NOT take the PE into account, I'm guessing this year's raise will be even better. I'm not gonna complain too much unless this year's raise is LESS than last year's was.

Sounds to me like it's time to dust off that resume ;)
haha well no...

I just started this job and I don't need a PE for my job here in Canada. I did it more for personal reasons. I was just joking with him when I told him. I wasn't expecting anything... Would have been nice though.

But he is eager for me to obtain the SE, so if and when I do get that I will expect a raise for sure.

At my old job I did get a 20% raise after I got my P.Eng, but I had to fight a bit for it and wait almost 6 months for it. Although the 20% raise just brought me on to par with others in the industry with the same level of expereince and education, but it was nice....

I STILL haven't gotten a raise for passing in Oct '07. I think I will this year, but my company ONLY ever gives raises in relation to the end-of-year review. My '07 review was conducted a week before I took the Oct exam... and my raise went into effect a week after I received my results. So, my company gets a whole year to bill me as a PE without paying me like one. It sounds bad, but since last year's raise was 8% and did NOT take the PE into account, I'm guessing this year's raise will be even better. I'm not gonna complain too much unless this year's raise is LESS than last year's was.
That definitely would not be acceptable to me. The company I work for passes on rate increases immediately. If you don't say anything they will take the money and run. If you do and they balkat it, you should start sending out resumes. We're hiring over here in Nawlins. Check my thread in Yard Sale>Job Postings.

That definitely would not be acceptable to me. The company I work for passes on rate increases immediately. If you don't say anything they will take the money and run. If you do and they balkat it, you should start sending out resumes. We're hiring over here in Nawlins. Check my thread in Yard Sale>Job Postings.
Guaranteed 13% here for state DOT. I also have a company car, which is like a raise in itself!

Let us try to answer this question...

Pre PE salary : $62k

Passed PE: April 2008 - Civil/Transportation

Post PE salary: ___ (I will complete this after my review end of the month)

% increase:

I know a lot depends on the specific job responsibilities, location, "what are you worth" etc...but we can still compare pre vs post PE salary if we have enough samples.

62K w/ a PE? In DC you can make WAY more than that.
Is 62K really all that great when you pay $800+ for a decent apartment and heaven only knows what for a home. Salary should never be an only factor when considering a job!

Is 62K really all that great when you pay $800+ for a decent apartment and heaven only knows what for a home. Salary should never be an only factor when considering a job!
Considering that 62K is a 13% raise from where I'm at as an EIT here in Denver, it's not bad. I'm able to make the EIT money work with 2 kids, a wife in school, a rent payment ($1200) and a car payment. It's all about being resourceful.

Obviously cost of living varies across the country (and world). If I made 62K in central Kansas, I would be living VERY comfortably compared to the much tighter southern Cali. Location is just as important as experience and expertise when it comes to salary consideration.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back