do not text list?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snickerd3

Taking suggestions
Reaction score
I've had my home and cell phone on the do not call list forever, but now I am getting text spam on my cellphone...I don't have a texting plan so I have to pay to get junk I never asked for sent to my phone.

Anyone of heard of a no texting registry...I went to the don't call list website and it doesn't mention texting.

I fixed this problem by calling Sprint and saying "Disable texting completely on my account". :)

I've thought about that, but that is an extreme measure. I'd still like the option to send/receive. There have been times that is the only way I've been able to get ahold of mr snick...he is out at a site in the middle of no where, where the signal isn't strong enough for a call but a text will go through

yea, I've thought about disabling text message for my phone too, but I do get the occasional text here or there that is important enough to not do away with that functionality altogether. Fortunately I have managed to stay away from receiving spam text messages. My wife get them from time to time, but she has a text message plan on her phone so it isn't a big deal. I do wonder how her number got on some of the distribution lists to begin with. For a while she was getting weekly texts from a Dodge dealership in the area. We don't drive Dodge vehicles.

I get them on my Tracfone, but never look at them because the only people who have the number don't text.

The problem is that if you dont have a text plan with your phone, you have to pay for those damn texts whether you sent or received them. I know Sprint charges way too much for that stuff, something like .15 per text and .20 for a picture mail.

The last plan i had offered a $5 per month unlimited texts so that ended up being both me and my wife's primary means of communication. By adding the $5 unlimited text option we could drop our anytime minutes down quite a bit which ended up saving quite a bit. Spend $5 to save $20. We now have one of those unlimited everything family plans which allows us unlimited internet (hence my more frequent visits to eb.com) in addition to the texts/picture mail. The biggest savings comes from the fact we dont have a land line at the house.

The problem is that if you dont have a text plan with your phone, you have to pay for those damn texts whether you sent or received them. I know Sprint charges way too much for that stuff, something like .15 per text and .20 for a picture mail.
verizon is .20 and .25 for text/picture

I send texts very infrequently which would make even $5 too much. I just hate being charged for receiving junk mail.

mr snicks company pays for his phone, also verizon so calling each other is free. I have the most basic calling plan basically for long distance calls. my work also has verizon so we get an 18% discount on our personal phones.

snick, you get charged even if you don't look at it? With mine, it shows the phone numer of the texter, and if you don't look at it, you don't get charged.

snick, you get charged even if you don't look at it? With mine, it shows the phone numer of the texter, and if you don't look at it, you don't get charged.
yep. even if I delete without opening I still get charged, I've tried that. The mere action of the phone receiving the text incurs the charge. Even then the # of texter is not complete so I can't call them to tell them to stop sending them. I only get 5 numbers of the phone number.

yep. even if I delete without opening I still get charged, I've tried that. The mere action of the phone receiving the text incurs the charge. Even then the # of texter is not complete so I can't call them to tell them to stop sending them. I only get 5 numbers of the phone number.
Youre only getting 5 numbers because its a text line. That line is only capable of sending / receiving texts, so ironically, you would have to text them back to stop...

The way I solved the problem was to sign up for a google voice number. I only give out my google voice number now. All phone calls to that number get forwarded to my cell phone (and between the hours of 8am-5pm M-F, to my desk at work). All text message get sent to my email address, so I can check them later. The only people that call or text my actual cell phone number are close friends and family, or people who know that I don't have a text message plan so only text me if it's important. You can use your GV number for outgoing calls too, but if you have people call to your GV number you lose the advantage of the free mobile to mobile minutes for each carrier. So you'd still want your husband to call you on your regular cell phone number.

I've found this system works really well for me. The only drawback I've run into is people texting me thinking I'll get the message while I'm out. That hasn't been a huge problem though.

www.google.com/voice

yep. even if I delete without opening I still get charged, I've tried that. The mere action of the phone receiving the text incurs the charge.
Technically, that is illegal. Advetisers can't advertise in such a way that you have to pay to get their ads.

Sadly, the only way to do something about it is find an attourney that wants to do a class action lawsuit.

http://gizmodo.com/5751159/how-do-i-block-...on-my-cellphone

While you are charged for unwanted texts, if you call your carrier you should be able to get the charges removed, or get a credit.

I agree with Roadwreck, Google Voice is great. When someone calls you, it prompts them for their name. When you connect to the call, it plays their name, and you have the option of connecting or not. Voicemails are transcribed and emailed to you. If you have the smartphone app, there are a lot of additional features.

Back