Decisions, decisions..

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sSucks!,

The Masters requirement was a proposal by NCEES to add to their model law which they eventually dropped. Even if it did go in to the NCEES model law, it would still have to be adopted by each individual state (I doubt CA would adopt it). Did you see this recent thread?

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=24150

Also, you should consider reading the bi-monthly NCEES Licensure Exchange. You would have seen the story there:

http://ncees.org/about-ncees/ncees-licensure-exchange/

You didn't mention Riverside. Are you able/willing to commute to Riverside? Riverside County has a gazillion engineering positions open. Heck, I am even tempted!

http://www.rc-hr.com/Careers/JobDescriptions.aspx

I don't think their is a significant difference in the time you choose to call. But, why not make it earlier in the week in case they invite you in that week to meet? Call early in the day in case someone needs to call you back.

Your intro is okay but emphasize that you are calling to help them, not them help you. 'Do you have entry/intern level work that I can help you with?'

Do you know ACAD? That was my 'easy in' to the engineering world. Start with simple monkey-see-monkey-do redline drafting and before you know it, you'll be putting together a set of plans all by yourself from survey points to mylar.

Good luck.
Well, huh, I was totally unaware of the call to change the Master's requirement. Thanks for the heads up. I guess I will postpone my Master's degree plans indefinitely.

Thanks for the heads up to Riverside. I don't have many friends or people that I know around there, but I'll still check it out.

And when I said "I was wondering if you are able to help me with this," I meant if the person I was talking to would be able to address the question I raised but I guess it's a little fuzzy so I'll scrap that out. Also, the reason for calling earlier makes sense.

Thanks.

Call 10am Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday is the best time. You don't want to call Monday because people are recovering from the weekend, you don't want to call Friday because people are getting ready for the weekend.

How are you applying for jobs now? Just shotgunning resumes off that are probably getting lost in the HR soSucks!are?

Are you involved in your community at all? Get involved with volunteering.

Have you reached out to colleagues or alumni at companies that you might want to work at? Invite people for a coffee meeting and talk with them.

I agree with cold calling and attempting to go door to door. Worst that can happen is they say no and then you are right where you started but at least you tried.

www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com has good advice on finding your dream job and applying, networking, etc. There is lots of FREE advice on his site that is useful and that I used to find jobs and get pay raises.
I will look into calling around those times as well as getting myself involved with local communities and alumni.

Just one more thing. If you are a member of ASME, ASCE etc. or any Engineering honor societies (Tau Beta Pi etc.) now is the time you want to attend every meeting and have some resumes with you. Use the meetings to network and get yourself in the door.

Fly to Houston and hold up a sign on the i45 feeder that says, "out of work engineer, need job"

Back