Deadliest Catch

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
depends on what you want and how much $ you want to part with
Let's put it this way:

1. I'm cheap

2. I don't watch much TV, I think the last thing I taped was DC last summer when I similarly had Tuesday night class.

3. I'm technologically retarded, simple is good for me

3. I'm technologically retarded
fixed it for you :p

Our DVR is one that is provided by our satellite company. The DVR is free, what you pay an extra $5 a month for is the channel time/listings. IMO that's worth it.

You could probably buy an old TiVo and use it just to record by time and channel. I'm sure there are plenty around on eBay. That way there would be no monthly subscription costs, it's a lot more hassle of course. The nicest thing about DVR's is that you tell them what you like to watch and the machine goes and finds it for you and records it. You don't have to mess with keeping up with when the schedule of the shows you want to record are on.

Last edited by a moderator:
^I should look into RCN (cable provider) and see what it would cost per month. As I recall, when I set up the account 3 years ago, it was going to be excessive for what I need it for.

Now we're talking. I can program a VCR like a pro, but I barely figure out how to use the new phone I got over the weekend. I'm a total product of the 80s.

Last edited by a moderator:
^I should look into RCN (cable provider) and see what it would cost per month. As I recall, when I set up the account 3 years ago, it was going to be excessive for what I need it for.
Paying for the subscription for the listing info is going to make using the DVR a lot easier, but it really depends on the cost if you feel it's worth it.

Years ago I had Tivo, and the user interface is fantastic. Very intuitive for non-technically inclined people, like my wife. But the monthly subscription for the program listings was $12.95 a month, so in the end I switched to the service and DVR provided by Dish Network, which at they time I got it claimed it was "voted better then Tivo", it isn't. But it cost less than half as much. We've had this DVR for almost two years and my wife still hasn't figured out how to use it. She can find and watch programs that have been recorded, but if she wants to record something new she has to ask me to set it up for her. She has given up trying to learn how to do that herself. And I have to hear about how much she misses Tivo all the time. It almost makes that $12.95 a month seem worth it.

My two favorite boats have always been the Northwestern and Cornelia Marie. Now that Phil is gone and all the drama happened with Jake, I'm kinda sour on the CM. And the Northwestern has been growing more annoying each season (first with Jake wanting to "earn" his NW jacket, then with Edgar flip-flopping on retirement, and now the new storyline with Jake wanting to become a captain). At this point, I feel I have very little to watch for. I don't think I will be watching the whole season.

Man - You guys are making me think I might have to give up on one of the two shows I watched prior to preparing for THE TEST :( Oh well - I am trying to find what "normal" is for me now. I may just keep checking this site for my entertainment.

We've got the DVR from the cable company. One thing we absolutely love that a VCR can't do is set it up to record a series. It'll record all of them or just the new ones and skip the repeats and if the times get moved around for some reason it still gets it.

Another option is to rig your computer to run through your TV...of course not sure how that would work with an older TV. I don't think TV tuner cards are terribly expensive and they usually come with some sort of software to use your 'puter as a DVR.

FYI, the Hilstrands are on Sirrus-XM this morning. You can find them on channel 12 (The pulse).

I still haven't had the opportunity to watch the new episode yet. It's been a busy week and I'm finding it hard to stay out of this thread even though I don't want to know what happens until I watch the show. :(

I watched the first half last night, will hopefully see the rest tonight. There was a lot less fluffing around in port this season, they got right to work, which I liked. I never cared for the captains sitting around tossing back duck farts and making silly bets.

Wow, the rookie captain, Elliot, is an idiot. I dont know why, but I really dont like him.

The Drama Llamas in the Cornelia Marie are getting on my nerves...which is sad because it was my favorite boat when Cap'n Phil was alive.

didn't get to watch last night. Minisnick was late going to bed and I was too lazy to go downstairs to the cable box to switch the channel. We think minisnick hid the cable remote. I've searched the upstairs several times and still can't find it. We ask him if he knows where it is and he just gives us that smirk like you betcha I do and I'm not going to tell you.

But it looks like i didn't need to waste the time.

So did he stay out to catch more blue crab and risk losing it all or did he go in with not a full load?

didn't get to watch last night. Minisnick was late going to bed and I was too lazy to go downstairs to the cable box to switch the channel. We think minisnick hid the cable remote. I've searched the upstairs several times and still can't find it. We ask him if he knows where it is and he just gives us that smirk like you betcha I do and I'm not going to tell you.
But it looks like i didn't need to waste the time.

So did he stay out to catch more blue crab and risk losing it all or did he go in with not a full load?
He went in and he blew the estimate of what he had! Not good.

Back