Day of Test

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phantom PE

Polish Quota Member
Reaction score
I know I haven't been the most active on here, but that's because I have been studying and reading what you all have to say. I do have one question... What is your must have's for day of? I know I need my exam authorization, ID, notes and references, straight edge, and two calculators (in case one bites the dust day of). What else should I be taking with me?

cash for parking

water

snacks

earplugs

lunch or cash for lunch

check the air pressure in your tires and oil level

google maps your route if you are unfamilar with the test site

get there early to make sure you can find the room

A postitve attitude! :)

Yes on the earplugs, no on the cash for lunch, bring a lunch.

I also brought a baggie of lifesavers, in case I got a cough or got hungry or something.

Yes on the earplugs as well. I was the first table, the two proctors were talking (lightly) to each other the entire test. Like other said, bring some easy to eat snacks that won't bother others. I brought a few power bar type snacks. Good luck

Advil wouldn't hurt either. I finished the morning session early so I had some time to relax and walk around outside during the lunch break. But I had a nasty headache (i'm guessing from a lack sleep and all the general overall stress from the day) so I stopped into a store and got some advil. It definitely helped for the afternoon portion.

A spare set of car keys on a string around your neck is an absolute must. As well as a wire hanger and length of rope in case you lock yourself out of your car.

Hello, anyone here took the exam in NY? The note says no cellphone allowed. Can you put them in the clear plastic container or you have to leave it in your car?

Leave it in the car. If you do forget and still have it with you, they give you a chance to turn in your phone before the test starts.

This may sound like a silly question, but are bookbags okay to take in?

I also took aspirin before the test, doesn't hurt, help keep away any neck pain or hand cramping.

Maryland said no bags, preferred boxes, but a lot of people had bags and suitcases, they made them put them at side of room.

I used one milk crate style box, when lunch came everyone had to leave the room, I was shocked that people just left all their references and calculators out. I packed all my stuff into the box and placed my sweatshirt over it, I figured if someone was going to steal a reference or calculator, they were going to take it off a desktop, not go thru someones things.

Leave the phone in the car, they will just consider it an illegal calculator and toss you.

NY also doesn't allow any food or drinks, including water and hard candy. I don't think gum was allowed either. It didn't matter if it was unwrapped like the reference manual suggests, either. I almost had my water confiscated but I asked if I could keep it in my bag, and the proctor let me (with a warning that I'd be kicked out if I got it out). I also left my cell phone in my car.

I haven't taken any of these tests that actually have someplace close to eat. Agree with others, bring a lunch!!

And absolutely leave the phone in the car!!! If it goes off, you're done, no questions asked. Even if it's in your bag against the wall, you have to go get it at some point. I think (?) the proctors will hang on to them at the front table if you don't have a car to leave it in. Whatever you do, don't leave it in your bag! If you forget to turn it off, or it accidentally turns back on....not worth the risk.

I didn't have earplugs last time, but would recommend them.

I took the test in IL in October, and the proctors were quite clear on what you could or could not have at your table. They gave us a chance to put things you can't have back in your bag before the exam starts. I think we could have water (not 100% on that) and snacks but they had to be kept on the floor.

We also brought our books in suitcases and had no problems, just put the bags up against the wall with everyone else before the start of the test.

Oh! another recommendation is a watch! They don't often have a nice big clock at the front that everyone can see.

Good luck!

Took it in NC last oct. I had a backpack that I kept drink, candy, etc in. No issues.

Heading out shortly to take it again though....too bad.

Back