--**-- D E N I E D ! --**--

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dleg

Spammer Emeritus
Reaction score
I figured I'd start a new thread for one of those weekend sentiments that is not covered by the other perma-threads in here, yet we all know happens far too often: when your good times are blown out of the water by things you can't ( :dunno: ) control.

All my weekend plans went down the drain this weekend because of a sick kid. We had to take my son in to see the doctor every day this weekend. First, on Friday, we went to a smaller clinic to see "Dr. Nick" (name changed to invoke proper Simpsons image), who took a quick glance at my son and declared (in best Dr. Nick accent) "your son has sore throat, I prescribe antibiotics, OK?"

An hour later we're at home, and attempting to give said antibiotics to our sick and very unhappy, autistic son. "Dr. Nick" had assured us that the liquid zitromax "tasting yummy for the children" so we just assumed that the hour-long struggle was due to his autistic stubbornness, and attempted to force the stuff down.

It didn't work. He spit it all out, and after a call to the pharmacy, spit out the second dose and consequently, sentenced himself to another visit to the doctor. Out of curiosity, I put a tiny smear of the stuff on my tongue and HOLY ****! That stuff tastes like rat poison!

So we bring him to see the "real doctors" the next morning at the hospital, who take a look at him and say "well, he might have an ear infection, so we'll give him a better-tasting antibiotic." Which he did drink, after maybe only a 20-minute struggle each time ( 5 ml, 3 times a day) involving holding his arms, legs, and head immobile. But by this time, he doesn't trust anything pink coming at his mouth in a srynge (all kid's medicine is pink. WTF?), and because his fever is still peaking out in the 103-104 range, he needs to be taking tylenol and motrin every couple of hours, in addition to the antibiotics. Not fun. For any of us.

Then yesterday his fever hits 104 again, and my wife and housekeeper both jump all over my ass, as if it is all my fault somehow ("You're not worried enough!"), and we bring him back. After 4 hours, blood samples, and a disasterous series of chest X-rays for no good reason (because he is freaking out and won't sit still, so let's do it again!), we're told exactly what I figured all along - he most likely has a virus, he's in pretty good shape, just take him home and continue (literally) forcing the medicine down his throat. All of it. Just to be safe, you know....

And then of course, the final medicine application before bedtime last night, Sunday night, becomes the worst so far, and we ALL blow up at each other, even the housekeeper and my 11 year old daughter jumped in on it. I think he spit out every bit of the Motrin.

At any rate, he seems to be fine this morning, I think because it has been 6 days now and the virus has finally run its course, but in keeping with the motive of this thread, MY WEEKEND IS SHOT!

:smileyballs:

Feel free to share how your weekend plans came apart.

:suicide:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude! thats f'n rough! :poop:

you have my :respect: for enduring all that! :bowdown:

work looks like a vacation in those circumstances

Major bummer Dleg ... at least the kiddo is doing better. :)

My weekend plans were focusing on NOT spamming EB.com - instead I have been refining the introduction/background to my grad project after some constructive, positive enhancements from my major professor. While I missed out on the bikini-clad drunken chili cook-off at St. George Island, I at least feel some sense of personal accomplishment.

Next weekend ...

the backyard B-B-Q that has burgeoned from a handful to over thirty. :smileyballs: I am still polishing my excuse for recusing myself from grillmaster duties ....

JR

Last edited:
bummer dleg. It feels like every weekend I get half the stuff I hope to accomplish done. So I've started aiming low. My only goals for this weekend were to go for a run and re-pot some plants. I got the run in.

It's so true that with kids you're totally on their schedule. The most you can do is set some goals and try to steer them in a direction, but when they're sick it's all over. Better luck next weekend!! :)

My only goals for this weekend were to go for a run and re-pot some plants. I got the run in.
Me too. The run part. Went for an hour. It was soooo nice today! Until some miserable asshole kicked up a ton of water that had collected on the road and soaked me with frigid cold water.

I hope someone releases a rabid ferrit in his shorts tonight!

Illness no matter who is sick is never fun. Good to here the worst seems over it.

We had some abnormally warm weather for March in IL. It got over 70 degrees here today and I got sunburn while dredging the culvert, Part 1of an effort to better the drainage on the property as parts just turn into lakes. It was some messy work as we have had lots of precipitation lately, but wet clay is definitely easier to dig than dry clay.

Dleg - hopefully the good health continues. "forcing" medicine has been a problem in my house, more because our daughter is gaggy and pukes it up. I've tasted the crap before and even though the Dr. says it doesn't taste bad, it's a lie. Most of the strong antibiotics they have are very bitter and have a horrible aftertaste.

Hopefully you're done with this junk and your son is feeling much better.

He's fine now. It had to be a virus. But, the Dr. said to keep giving him the antibiotic anyway. Fortunately, he seems to have gotten used to taking it now, at least since they changed it out for amoxycillin, which he calls "milk medicine".

wow that sounded rough man, glad he is feeling better, it sucks when kids are sick, you never know how much grief you cause your parents just for being sick!

I think part of being a parent means your weekends are going to be fucked up for roughly 18 years though, I have a 5 year old so I am counting on only 13 more years until I can do something for myself! Of course the wife probably expects us to do something together, which is fine, assuming she likes to fish, go to strip bars, visit every nfl stadium, work on my CJ-5, etc, etc, etc,

I think part of being a parent means your weekends are going to be fucked up for roughly 18 years though, I have a 5 year old so I am counting on only 13 more years until I can do something for myself!
Probably more to the point is that if you are a parent - you don't get to do it half-way or say .. I don't feel like being a parent today. I am CONSTANTLY having to remind Mrs. JR that yeah ... you are going to be 40 minus 1 in two months ... do you really feel like taking care of little ones when you are trying to simulataneously retire? :smileyballs:

JR

My plan was to get drunk tonight- either to celebrate victory or defeat, didn't matter. But since I have no results yet, I'm sitting on the couch with my laptop completely sober. Stupid TBPE- hurry up!

^^^ I am not drunk ... pretty well buzzed though. I had a date up in Thomasville, GA - not Ms. Applebottoms. I guess we can call this lady Ms. Georgia Peach.

I hope you get good results!! :) Considering Ms. Georgia Peach emphatically stated upfront that i would be lucky if I got a peck on the cheek by night's end, I would say my results for this evening were EXCEEDING expectations .... :eyebrows:

JR

Hey!!!!! Hold your horses Romeo.

Mates, JR is out of control. The guy is an animal. Two dates with two different ladies in two weeks. Man, many of us can learn something from you.

JR, you are my hero and my inspiration. I can only aspire to achieve your level of playa.

Hey!!!!! Hold your horses Romeo.
Mates, JR is out of control. The guy is an animal. Two dates with two different ladies in two weeks. Man, many of us can learn something from you.
Two different states, too!

:th_rockon:

we have some confirmed photos of the new American Gigolo in action:

Hey, Tony Romo wants to hang w/ you, and Nick Lachey wants to know what you're doing for New Year's!

^^^ I am not drunk ... pretty well buzzed though. I had a date up in Thomasville, GA - not Ms. Applebottoms. I guess we can call this lady Ms. Georgia Peach.
I hope you get good results!! :) Considering Ms. Georgia Peach emphatically stated upfront that i would be lucky if I got a peck on the cheek by night's end, I would say my results for this evening were EXCEEDING expectations .... :eyebrows:

JR
Well I hope you played hard to get, too.

Way to go JR! :bananalama:

Back