College Football 2010

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering what everyone has sat through for the past 3 years watching Louisville play, I'll take what they are doing right now.
I'm going to reserve judgement until we get into conference play. So far, we have beaten the shit out of crappy opponents, and lost to good opponents. It's like they can only get motivated to play against teams that they can beat 56-0. We should have won that Oregon State game, but the players were probably demoralized after they got 14 points taken away from them in the first quarter.
What happened with Kragthorpe at Louisville? He was a really good coach at Tulsa doing a lot with nothing, then went to Louisville and faltered?

What happened with Kragthorpe at Louisville? He was a really good coach at Tulsa doing a lot with nothing, then went to Louisville and faltered?
What happened was he took the #1 offense in college football, and completely destroyed it. He stopped calling the deep pass plays that scored us an assload of touchdowns, and instead starting calling 3 runs up the middle and a punt.

He also took one of the worst defenses in the country and made it worse. So, we went from the Orange Bowl (1 win away from the NCG) to a sub-.500 team in less than 2 years.

What happened was he took the #1 offense in college football, and completely destroyed it. He stopped calling the deep pass plays that scored us an assload of touchdowns, and instead starting calling 3 runs up the middle and a punt.

He also took one of the worst defenses in the country and made it worse. So, we went from the Orange Bowl (1 win away from the NCG) to a sub-.500 team in less than 2 years.
Louisville was not one of the worst defenses when Petrino left. They only gave up 300 yards/17 points a game during the Orange Bowl year. They were also #3 in the country in sacks.

Couple that with one of the top offenses in the country (without Micheal Bush) and they were very good that year.

No one knows really what happened behind the scenes when Kragthorpe came in. But on the field we saw what happened. Gave up 100 more yards and twice as many points in Kragthorpe's first season. Players were being run off/quit/transferred. Anthony Allen had the single game rushing record for Louisville and transferred to Georgia Tech.

Louisville lost to Syracuse at home as 38 point favorites.

They went 6-6 Kragthorpe's first year and didn't make a bowl. They could never seem to have a pass rush with Kragthorpe as coach. Kragthorpe came in and basically threw Petrino under the bus saying he ran a dirty program, yet the biggest problem that ever came out was a paintball incident I believe. Petrino went 41-9 and was held in high regard in Louisville and to have a coach/athletic director come in and trash it turned off many fans that don't really have the football program at the top of their to-do list.

Players were out of shape, unmotivated, uninspired, unorganized.

Kragthorpe preached through the media about "doing things the right way" and high standards for players yet that was a total fraud as well. Charlie Strong came in and found players with 0.0 gpa's.

He's done more but I drank most of it away the past 3 years...hopefully Charlie Strong keeps it going and keeps improving.

November 20, 2010.

:D

WVbanana2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Now they only like (the Southeast Conference) for the ratings.

I don't agree with that. ESPN and the $EC need to get a room, even though CBS has the $EC television deal.

Why would ESPN love the $EC for the ratings ... that CBS gets?

The 2:30 Central game is the CBS "game of the week", and they do get first choice (except for two weeks in the year when ESPN gets first). They also get the SEC championship game in all three major sports. The television rights to every other game are owned by ESPN. With the new contract, I think they are obligated to televise every game, either by selling the rights, or worst case a pay-per-view game.

CBS and ESPN both make a LOT of money off of the SEC. It seems as though the SEC has a larger portion of people who will spend their hard earned money to hear/watch every detail about their respective programs. There are even those idiots that will do so in historically mediocre (and in some cases, flat out bad) teams. Those are the people I don't understand.

MississippiStateBulldogsLogo.gif

It seems as though the SEC has a larger portion of people who will spend their hard earned money to hear/watch every detail about their respective programs.
I fully agree.

People in my area are fairly good fans, not all nut jobs. I know most in the North East are weekend warriors, that may or may not watch the game, depending on what's going on. It is a different culture in the South with it. (that's why its so fun to 'bait' the SEC fans) :D

Even those who don't go to the game enjoy the atmosphere around the campus. When y'all non-SEC fans learn to tailgate, let us know. I'm sure your interpretation is cute. :cheeburga: :p

Even those who don't go to the game enjoy the atmosphere around the campus. When y'all non-SEC fans learn to tailgate, let us know. I'm sure your interpretation is cute. :cheeburga: :p

You've apparently never been to the Horseshoe on gameday at The Ohio State University...

^^ True.

But please look at :wv: history of being #1 or in the top 5 of Party School rankings for YEARS. At WVU the party (tailgate) never ends, its just that every now and again there is a game going on next to it.

^^ True.

But please look at : :wv: : history of being #1 or in the top 5 of Party School rankings for YEARS. At WVU the party (tailgate) never ends, its just that every now and again there is a game going on next to it.

West Virginia was one of the schools I visited during my college application loop which included UConn, Rutgers, Kentucky, Virginia Tech, and West Virginia on that particular 5 day driving loop. Upon reaching campus at Morgantown, 6 guys were literally rolling three kegs down the sidwalk. :true:

Lucky for me, we flew to Ohio State on a whim as a last resort kind of thing after I was dead set on going to VA Tech. Glad I did.

Upon reaching campus at Morgantown, 6 guys were literally rolling three kegs down the sidwalk.

Didn't want to go to a place where the men can't tote 'em, huh?

My junior year, we were having a small get-together, and were running low on beer. I took the two kegs we had floated (to keep from paying another deposit), and was off in search of more. Well, I carried them in the first place, and they didn't have any kegs, so I walk out with the two empty kegs, one in each hand. I go to the back of my truck and load them up with one hand. I turn around and there is a group of guys staring at me wide eyed. They assumed I just lifted two full kegs into my truck with one hand. I just waved and drove off.

You've apparently never been to the Horseshoe on gameday at The Ohio State University...
Visit LSU on the day before gameday. Then visit any given gameday. ;)

^^ True.

But please look at : :wv: : history of being #1 or in the top 5 of Party School rankings for YEARS. At WVU the party (tailgate) never ends, its just that every now and again there is a game going on next to it.
First of all, how in the HELL does any school get ranked above another in terms of "the party school"? LSU was #1 for a while, but who does the ranking and how? What school, besides BYU, doesn't have keg parties at a freshman's apartment or dorm room? I guess they survey the students and based on how loud the student replies, "WE F***ING PARTY ALL THE TIME!" dictates how high the school's ranking is... ?

Visit LSU on the day before gameday. Then visit any given gameday. ;)
Actually, two of the guys I work with went down for the LSU / WVU game a couple of weeks ago. They commented on how well they were treated, and the hospitallity of the fans. They said there were people insisting that they join their tailgate.

They were pleasantly surprised by how nice the fans were, and then the conversation went to how dissappointing the WVU fans are. We all agreed that those that make the trip to WVU next year from LSU will not receive the same treatment. That is a shame. Our fans won't offer beers, they'll throw empty ones.

They may party hard here, but there is a lot to be learned on manners and sportsmanship.

and as far as thinking its like any other campus with drinking/etc. I have to say it would be nice if it was. The 'couch burning' reputation at WVU is for a reason. A quick search on YouTube and you can see the idiots flipping cars/ burning cars and rioting in the streets after games. I think instead of #1 party school, it should be known as #1 anarchy school. Usually ends with fire hoses, and pepper spray.

gets quite rediculous at times.

Actually, two of the guys I work with went down for the LSU / WVU game a couple of weeks ago. They commented on how well they were treated, and the hospitallity of the fans. They said there were people insisting that they join their tailgate.They were pleasantly surprised by how nice the fans were, and then the conversation went to how dissappointing the WVU fans are. We all agreed that those that make the trip to WVU next year from LSU will not receive the same treatment. That is a shame. Our fans won't offer beers, they'll throw empty ones.

They may party hard here, but there is a lot to be learned on manners and sportsmanship.
My only experience with WVU fans was at the Gator Bowl in 2007, sweet merciful crap I realize there aren't a lot of songs that reference West Virginia but I swear to god I was about to go on a murderous rampage if they played Bob Denver's Country Roads one more f***ing time!

Then their was the fan that took a dump in the GT band section during halftime...

Then their was the fan that took a dump in the GT band section during halftime...
Is this a "thing"? There were pictures of a WVU guy crapping in the MSU band section when we played in Morgantown a few years ago.

Also, the trip to Morgantown has become one of Mississippi State message board lore. Hands down, the worst fans ever encountered, and we go to LSU every other year.

Back