Club of people who failed April 2015

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I failed twice in the latter part of the nineties. Got gun shy and did not make another attempt until April 2014. Passed. The biggest difference that time was the existence of the internet an YouTube. In addition to GA Tech course/Complex Imaginary/Spinup. It can be done even for an old fart like me. To quote Tupac Shakur, "Keep your head up."

@dvtn - What is ur final score? My final score is 57%. I yet have to get the diagnostic report.

@ sunny

I got 26 out of 40 right in the morning section and 19 out of 40 in the afternoon section. Made some stupid mistakes in the afternoon and wasted a lot of time on some problems where I had to go back and redo calcs.

I am on the fence between the EET review course and the MGI Civil Engineering PE Review Course. Has anyone had success with MGI? it has a pass garuantee and is one of the cheaper options.

I failed Geotech 2nd go-round. 48/80 or 60%! Do it again. With so much invested, I can't see going to another discipline.

I know I got antsy (1 step below rattled) in the PM and began the flip from boot-to-book. Losing time and confidence.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am on the fence between the EET review course and the MGI Civil Engineering PE Review Course. Has anyone had success with MGI? it has a pass garuantee and is one of the cheaper options.
I am EE Power but I am not a fan of MGI. I ordered it because it was the least expensive and found you get what you pay for. I ended uping GA Tech's EE course for Power. Not sure if they have one for Civil but I have heard good things about School of PE.

This is my second time failing the Civil/Construction exam, both times I have studied more than 3 months prior to the exam. First time I bought some of the resources required plus practice exams. Second time I bought ALL the required resources plus I logged over 100 hours of studying and did 580 practice problems from various sources ( I kept tabs on how much I studied each area). I put in the effort and still fell short. Guess the next stop will be to invest in SoPE or something...

Only 100 hours of studying? I realize everyone is different, but that doesn't sound like enough (especially over 3 months). Most I spoke with were in the 300-400 hour range.

For people who can't exactly decide to which one is better to take in civil. I recommend transportation it's easy but you need the green book and use its index and do a lot of tabbing. The key is to find all things in short time. Tabbing is the key that I found. I even tabbed the problems (not only the notes). So it was very handy and quick. I passed first time.

I studied beginning of January to April including also CA seismic and surveying exams. So 3 months are enough to learn new topic.

For people who can't exactly decide to which one is better to take in civil. I recommend transportation it's easy but you need the green book and use its index and do a lot of tabbing. The key is to find all things in short time. Tabbing is the key that I found. I even tabbed the problems (not only the notes). So it was very handy and quick. I passed first time.

I studied beginning of January to April including also CA seismic and surveying exams. So 3 months are enough to learn new topic.
I take offense to saying my discipline is "easy". What may be easy to you is not necessarily easy to others.

For those who failed, don't take a break from it. March on...if you take a break for a cycle, you will forget a lot of **** you learned a few months prior

I wish I could see the questions that I missed. I think it would be easier to know what I need to study more on, not just the topics.

For those who failed, don't take a break from it. March on...if you take a break for a cycle, you will forget a lot of **** you learned a few months prior

Have to agree with you on this. I failed the October '13 exam and felt worn out, so I stupidly decided to skip April and take it again in October '14. I ended up doing 4 points worse the second time... But that finally motivated me to lay down the cash for SoPE, study my ass off, and devote myself to this test. It worked - I passed April '15.

This is my second time failing the Civil/Construction exam, both times I have studied more than 3 months prior to the exam. First time I bought some of the resources required plus practice exams. Second time I bought ALL the required resources plus I logged over 100 hours of studying and did 580 practice problems from various sources ( I kept tabs on how much I studied each area). I put in the effort and still fell short. Guess the next stop will be to invest in SoPE or something...

Only 100 hours of studying? I realize everyone is different, but that doesn't sound like enough (especially over 3 months). Most I spoke with were in the 300-400 hour range.
My first round at the exam (Oct. '14) I had 250 hours and started in June doing practice problems along with building notebooks for each discipline. When I got my failure notice I decided to wait until after the holidays to pick it back up (I was pretty burned out).

I then got hit with alot of problems at my house (frozen pipe bust and septic tank backflowed) I had to address which slowed my studying progress for my second attempt. However when I finally got to knuckle down I cranked out practice test after practice test and I went through the review manual from learncivilengineering for construction (I highly reccomend it even though I failed).

Yes I did not study as much the second round but overall I have put in a significant amount of time studying for this exam and will continue to do so until I pass this beast. Hence the reason for taking a class this time, it's one of the few avenues I haven't tried.

Back