Christmas gifts

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so on your home link water level sump detector, What happens if the power goes out?

Last edited by a moderator:
so on your home link water level sump detector, What happens if the power goes out?
"Manual mode" by inspection only. :thumbs:

On a side note, I live less than 5 miles from the nearest coal-fired power plant.  Worst-case most often is our power flickers once or twice throughout any given year.  Rarely does it ever go out completely without some type of physical line/system damage.  Eventually I'm planning to install an auxiliary power system integral with our power breaker panel.  Then my network would pull from a 4G broadband connection vs. the TWC coax.

I'm thinking that when/if there's a power outage during a storm is when your sump pump won't operate (no power) and when you're most likely to get water.  IMHO, a battery back-up system is a must to make this useful.

Batteries fail over time.  Hence why I plan to go with a generator powered auxiliary system. :thumbs:

The water detection system won't function if Wi-Fi is disabled.  So that would need power as well.

or you can have my parents problem...with all the rain they have been getting this fall their two sumppumps have been working just fine...they are still flooding because it is coming in through the cracks where the basement wall and floor meet  well away from the sumps

Batteries fail over time.  Hence why I plan to go with a generator powered auxiliary system. :thumbs:

The water detection system won't function if Wi-Fi is disabled.  So that would need power as well.
agreed.. monitoring systems that I have installed use a battery back-up (allow ~6-12 hours of no power) and have a cell modem for communications (no wifi).

agreed.. monitoring systems that I have installed use a battery back-up (allow ~6-12 hours of no power) and have a cell modem for communications (no wifi).
Do you have a ref/link for the equipment you utilized?  I'm always curious to view different setups.

These are for industrial applications.  I use Campbell Scientific equipment http://www.campbellsci.com

For home use there are a bunch of smaller alarm companies that might do the trick.  I suspect they use a computer based system with a decent UPS and then tack on the cell modem.  I typically use Sierra wireless Airlink modems.

Another slick device is called the WASP http://www.spectotechnology.com/wasp/files/manual.pdf.  You have to purchase a subscription service with Specto Technologies.  it's $120/year but the unit is fully self-contained and designed to be field mounted with no external power (lasts ~5years).  The subscription buys you the communications software and it email and alrm capabilities.  It can be accessed from a smart phone or via the internet.  Units are configured for 1 or 2 inputs and can handle a variety of sensors (basically anyhting with a 4-20mA output.

Having solar panels and a battery system certainly cuts down your chances of a power fail...

Ive got a sump pump in the basement but i am hoping since i live in a quasi desert environment i don't need to worry about it

so snickette got one of those leapfrog Violet puppy pal things for christmas.  We can't get the thing to customize.  It fails about 10% of the way through the upload no matter what device we use for the upload, (computer, tablet, phone).  I went to website FAQ tried that advice still not working.  I emailed their customer support stating I followed the FAQ and it still isn't working, what now?  Their response was just the link to the FAQ page that I quoted in the initial email.  SMH

Browning Buckmark.  Shoots like a dream.  All my boys can shoot with ease and it doesn't cost a fortune to kill some cans.

buckmark.jpg

I'd love a good competition-style 22 pistol.  I've shot my FIL's and absolutely love it.

I like that .22

I need one, it would be cheaper than the target practice I do with my G17 9mm.  And especially cheaper than my XD40.

There are a bunch of nice Christmas gifts in this thread.  I got socks, and I bought them for myself and wrapped them myself.   uhhggg.

so snickette got one of those leapfrog Violet puppy pal things for christmas.  We can't get the thing to customize.  It fails about 10% of the way through the upload no matter what device we use for the upload, (computer, tablet, phone).  I went to website FAQ tried that advice still not working.  I emailed their customer support stating I followed the FAQ and it still isn't working, what now?  Their response was just the link to the FAQ page that I quoted in the initial email.  SMH
Maybe try exchanging it for a new one?  My son got one a couple of years ago and I don't remember it being a pain to update.  Did you get the software from here? http://www.leapfrog.com/en-us/support/select-my-pals

Maybe try exchanging it for a new one?  My son got one a couple of years ago and I don't remember it being a pain to update.  Did you get the software from here? http://www.leapfrog.com/en-us/support/select-my-pals
yep that's the webpage.  It was a gift so we don't have a receipt and the stores here are no receipt no help from us.  It still works, it just wont say her name or do all the other personalized things it can do.  

yep that's the webpage.  It was a gift so we don't have a receipt and the stores here are no receipt no help from us.  It still works, it just wont say her name or do all the other personalized things it can do.  
Hmm, try calling them: 1 (800) 701-5327

You can also try tweeting at them.  Since it's public, they are more responsive there.

Otherwise, maybe buy a new one and return the "old" one with the new receipt?  

i replied back to their email so I'll let them respond before a call. but i like your thinking!!! I didn't think of that.  

Back