Changes in Application Process In 2017 in California

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again CAPLS, I did not say you are one of those, really. You are here answering peoples questions, that tells who you are in your heart. However, I have called the board in the past and very politely asked questions. Sometimes the responses that I get is not expected to be heard from a "board" that must be followed by CA engineers. For example it is not polite to eat and chew while answering customers (e.g. applicants), cutting them when they are speaking, etc. 

I understand your point about license application is different from exam application, and I dont rely on others for explanation. CA board specifically asks for 2 self-stamped envelop or postcards in the application checklist. It turns out most of the applicants never hear from the board about their material being received or approved. That raises the question of if the board is under staffed too, or if the board need to create a system where applicants can check the status of their application. 

Anyways, the fact that you are here answering questions while can indicate that you are a good person, but it also indicates lack of clarity by the board is confusing people. I have already submitted my application and I do have the required experience, that is not what concerned me. I simply wanted to know if there are other people here that can share weather or not their April 2017 PE application in California has been approved, or are other people like me are still waiting. 

Ok, I understand.  First of all, the postcards are stated as optional.  That being said, majority of the applicants include them (where they still find and purchase postcards, I don't know).  BPELSG is resorting to emailing and phone calls now more than ever in the past since it represents the preferred manner of contact (or so we're told), is more expedient than normal US mail, and is more customer friendly (again as we were told).  Looking at the current numbers, approximately 1700-2000 new applications were received and cashiered within a few days of the November filing date.  All just as important as the others.  Based on past experiences, 20-30% will be rejected due to being incomplete and not following instructions.  State law and policies require received funds to be cashiered in a set period of time after receiving it.  This is meant to ensure that money is not sitting around.  Staff spends a great deal of time trying to personally notify applicants when this occurs.  And this is all before the technical review is even performed.  And after each cycle, staff reviews communications as those relate to the issues to see what can be done to improve those communications like instructions.  In one sense, if you haven't heard anything by now, its a good chance that your application has proceeded through multiple steps in the process heading towards technical review.  Most that have deficiencies hear sooner rather later...and should so they can correct them.

I was simply answering your question about whether you need to wait on approval of your application before registering at NCEES and I was trying to point out to you that is one of the motivations behind the change in the application/exam process.  Don't wait.  Sign up for whatever seminar(s) you need to and spend this time preparing.  BPELSG understands that.  Whether your experience is deemed qualifying and satisfies the overall criteria towards licensure will happen regardless and you will be notified.  Don't waste this time.  Some applications have been approved.  Most are still in the pipeline.

Thank you CAPLS for this comprehensive response. I will wait to hear from the board early next year, and as you said I won't waste time and will study. If you believe self-addressed envelopes/postcards are an outdated method (which is true), perhaps it is a better idea that BPELSG removes this optional requirement from the checklist so that people dont waste their money and their time trying to find those in order to fulfill the application requirements to the best of their knowledge. I have asked several applicants in person and everyone agreed that the application is really confusing, for example when it comes to listing engagements. We are smart educated engineers and what confuses us must be really dam*n confusing.

Has anyone get any PE application approval  from the board in email or mail?
To attempt to answer your question and possibly address your worry... My friend did not get a postcard back for this coming April 2017 and got an email instead saying that her application was reviewed and being forwarded somewhere. She didn't have the exact wording. But, as a good confirmation, she now has access to register with NCEES. It's a good sign that her package was approved and she is authorized to test.

Secondly, last April, another friend didn't hear from the board for weeks when me and 3 other people had already heard back by postcard. He kept calling and was told that if he's not hearing anything, then it's being reviewed. About 3 days before NCEES registration closed, he called and the rep on the phone went "huh?" and went looking. When they came back, they said he will soon be all clear. He got an email the same day and was able to register with NCEES. Another friend actually went to the office (we live in Sacramento) only to be told that her application was in the wrong pile and sending her a notification was overlooked. She got a notification the same day. Nothing was missing from their application or their requirements.

So, yeah... it happens that things get lost in the cracks and your concern is not unfounded.

If you don't have access yet to NCEES to register, it would be wise to continuously check with the board's office and do so prior to the NCEES deadline. Unless things changed, if you miss it, you will have to wait when they re-open for October testing. For the Survey and Seismic, I don't remember if there is a sign-up deadline but the authorization to test from the board came much later so you have time. For example, for April 2016, we got authorization for NCEES by postcard before December 2015. I think the deadline was December. The authorization to test for Seismic and Survey came in February 2016.

Your goal now is to find out NCEES' deadline and see that the board gives you some sort of response before said deadline if you intend on taking the 8-hr in April and you are currently unable to register with NCEES at the moment.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Thanks a lot Jijir83. I am actually allowed to register for PE exam on NCEES. However, I dont think this means that my CA application is approved. :D

For the Survey and Seismic, I don't remember if there is a sign-up deadline but the authorization to test from the board came much later so you have time. For example, for April 2016, we got authorization for NCEES by postcard before December 2015. I think the deadline was December. The authorization to test for Seismic and Survey came in February 2016.
What do mean by: 1- you got authorization for NCEES by postcard before December 2015, 2- deadline was December, and 3- The authorization to test for Seismic and Survey came in February 2016? Did you mean you got permitted to register for NCEES in December, and then you got permitted to register for seismic/survey in Feb? Or do you mean the authorization to sit for the exam? If you got the authorization to sit for April 2016 exam in Dec 2015, I think that was too early.. which was a good thing lol.   Thanks again.    

What do mean by: 1- you got authorization for NCEES by postcard before December 2015, 2- deadline was December, and 3- The authorization to test for Seismic and Survey came in February 2016? Did you mean you got permitted to register for NCEES in December, and then you got permitted to register for seismic/survey in Feb? Or do you mean the authorization to sit for the exam? If you got the authorization to sit for April 2016 exam in Dec 2015, I think that was too early.. which was a good thing lol.   Thanks again.    
I checked when I got home. I wrote this timeline before but this is how it went...

I hand delivered my application in September 2015. I got my first postcard around November 6th (per the USPS stamp). It said that my application was received and submitted for technical review. It also gave me an application ID number. Around November 14 (per the USPS stamp on it), I got the second postcard that said that it was determined that I qualify for examination and that I must register at NCEES for the 8-hr exam. That was basically my "You're good to go". It also said that I will get notification for the Seismic and Survey 5-6 weeks prior to those exam dates starting and will then be able to register with Prometric. I was then able to go on NCEES and sign up for the 8-hr in December. For some reason I think the deadline was late December. I don't remember. I could have read it wrong. I only remember thinking I had to register by December. It may have been because I was going to be traveling January and February. Anyway... Then in February, I got an email Authorization to Test (ATT) for seismic, followed by one for survey. That ATT was within 6 weeks of the start of those exams in April.

So my thinking is... NCEES opened registration on December 12th this year. And checking their website, they close February 23rd. So, before February 23rd, you need to hear back from the board that you can register on NCEES. Or, if you log-on to NCEES, you need to be able to register. My friend never got an email or card saying that she can register with NCEES for April 2017, like I got the postcard. She logged on last week and it became possible for her to register once NCEES opened up registration. We're taking that as her "You're good to go".

I think being told that you can sign up for NCEES is how you find out that you are clear. That's either done by getting a postcard, an email or access to NCEES. December wasn't too early. My co-worker got his postcard in August but he sent his application at the beginning... maybe July. I got mine in November. This poor kid got his email 3 days before the NCEES closing deadline only because he kept calling and he had mailed his package before me. So, December is not too early to hear back about April. But surely, you have to hear back before February 23rd in one fashion or another. You won't hear about the Seismic and Survey until 6 weeks before the test dates, which should be around February. 

I hope this makes sense. That's the best I can do with the timeline. My application was a year ago.

jijir83 is trying her best to describe her experiences and how the process occurred for her, which is fine.  However, the process has changed which is what I've been trying to say. 

You do not need to wait to hear from BPELSG to register for the PE exam, pay the exam fee to NCEES, and schedule your exam for spring 2017.

The above statement is true for the majority of candidates seeking licensure in California with the assumption that you have already passed the fundamentals exam.  If you are seeking an FE Waiver in California or registering for the SE exam, BPELSG will need to receive your application first and manually approve your exam registration in the NCEES system.

In regards to the two California state civil exams, once your application is approved, you will be notified by BPELSG and you will be added to the eligibility list which is then provided to Prometric.   Later in the process (most likely February) all approved candidates for those California exams will be notified by BPELSG when they can schedule with Prometric.  This process has absolutely nothing to do with registering with NCEES for the national exam.

I can provide some insight - I applied to the board in September for the Spring 2017 exam.

I called the board last week to ask about the changes - If you already applied and your application is approved, you shouldn't need to worry about re-applying.

For those of us that are in the middle (application submitted before dec 12, and subsequently accepted), we can still take all three exams at once. I don't believe this will be possible in the future.

Many people have not gotten responses yet because they are swamped. When I called the board, I had only received correspondence that they had received my application and were reviewing. However, while I was on the phone she checked my application status and it had been approved in their system almost two weeks prior.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Many people have not gotten responses yet because they are swamped. When I called the board, I had only received correspondence that they had received my application and were reviewing. However, while I was on the phone she checked my application status and it had been approved in their system almost two weeks prior.
Thanks a lot... I have called too last Friday, and was told that my name is not in their system. She was a but surprised at first that why it is not still in their system, but then said that I have nothing to worry about. Again, I haven't got any sort of confirmation that they have received my application - yes they have cashed the check, but that means nothing. It could still be in a wrong pile or something. They clearly are not responsive, but Im sure they expect future young engineers be responsive to society needs. 

I can provide some insight - I applied to the board in September for the Spring 2017 exam.

I called the board last week to ask about the changes - If you already applied and your application is approved, you shouldn't need to worry about re-applying.

For those of us that are in the middle (application submitted before dec 12, and subsequently accepted), we can still take all three exams at once. I don't believe this will be possible in the future.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
While I can certainly understand why you believe this, it is not necessarily true.  BPELSG has publically stated for a few years that the California civil exams are moving towards continuous delivery (tentatively planned for 2018) which means year round scheduling opportunities.  And NCEES has publically stated that they are in the midst of transitioning their PE exams to this same model over a period of years (2-3 exams annually - not sure when PE-Civil will occur).  I've mentioned this at least once somewhere in a thread on this forum, maybe it was earlier in this thread, I'm not sure.  The idea is that a filing deadline will eventually not exist (at least in the same manner that anyone is used to), applications can be submitted to BPELSG on a continuous basis rather than only twice a year, national exams can be taken whenever the candidate's schedule allows for it, and California state exams can be scheduled anytime the candidate wishes once their application is approved by BPELSG.  I don't believe these plans are a hindrance to those working towards becoming licensed in California.  On the contrary, I believe it is much more accommodating.

Thanks a lot... I have called too last Friday, and was told that my name is not in their system. She was a but surprised at first that why it is not still in their system, but then said that I have nothing to worry about. Again, I haven't got any sort of confirmation that they have received my application - yes they have cashed the check, but that means nothing. It could still be in a wrong pile or something. They clearly are not responsive, but Im sure they expect future young engineers be responsive to society needs. 
Email me your name and contact info.  If the check is cashiered, you are in the system.  However, you may not have already proceeded to the step that you would like to be at in this stage in the process.  Unresponsive?  Probably not, but maybe sometimes.  But most likely the unknown is the most accurate response at this point in time and its just not what you want to hear or receptive to that.

Great update :)

Before I had to wait until October 2017 to take the PE since I didn't make cutoff experience per board application requirements at the time of registering for April 2017.

Now I can take it in April and just submit my stuff after, awesome!

While I can certainly understand why you believe this, it is not necessarily true.  BPELSG has publically stated for a few years that the California civil exams are moving towards continuous delivery (tentatively planned for 2018) which means year round scheduling opportunities.  And NCEES has publically stated that they are in the midst of transitioning their PE exams to this same model over a period of years (2-3 exams annually - not sure when PE-Civil will occur).  I've mentioned this at least once somewhere in a thread on this forum, maybe it was earlier in this thread, I'm not sure.  The idea is that a filing deadline will eventually not exist (at least in the same manner that anyone is used to), applications can be submitted to BPELSG on a continuous basis rather than only twice a year, national exams can be taken whenever the candidate's schedule allows for it, and California state exams can be scheduled anytime the candidate wishes once their application is approved by BPELSG.  I don't believe these plans are a hindrance to those working towards becoming licensed in California.  On the contrary, I believe it is much more accommodating.
Right, I understand what you mean, but even by that explanation I believe what I said still holds true (unless i'm misunderstanding what you mean). Since future BPELSG applications will require that the national test is already passed by the applicant in order to approve the CA specific exams even if they are given monthly in the future, this term will be the last (or at least one of the last) times that applicants will be able to take the national, survey, and seismic tests in the same weekend. Am I understanding this correctly?

Right, I understand what you mean, but even by that explanation I believe what I said still holds true (unless i'm misunderstanding what you mean). Since future BPELSG applications will require that the national test is already passed by the applicant in order to approve the CA specific exams even if they are given monthly in the future, this term will be the last (or at least one of the last) times that applicants will be able to take the national, survey, and seismic tests in the same weekend. Am I understanding this correctly?
Well, Assuming a licensing applicant would decide to not take the NCEES exam whenever they can and wait until after gaining all the experience, submitting an application with the Board, and waiting to receive an approval and since the two California civil exams account for 3 hours seat time and assuming for this discussion (because its an unknown) that the future CBT version of the NCEES PE-Civil exam remains at 8 hours exam time/approximately 9 hours seat time, someone could conceivably schedule both California exams on one day, back to back, and the NCEES exam either the day before or day after.  Someone could also stretch it out to one exam each day for three consecutive days.  There are many possibilities.  Many of the CBT Centers, both Prometric and Pearson are open on Saturday.  It will all depend on location and scheduling availability knowing that the engineering exams are just one of many exams being administered simultaneously.

I will say...and I don't mean this to be negative, only that I've learned this as factual experiences...that when limited absolute dates are not dictated by the exam authority, procrastination increases substantially for a great percentage of the candidate population.  For example, when scheduling is announced and opens for the two California civil exams, usually half the approved population schedule the first day its open and completely fill up seats for the last two days of the three week administration period.  Its essentially a mad rush to be the last to sit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone. I sent in my application (references, fees, transcripts, etc) to take the PE exam in April of next year in California. Can you tell me when candidates typically get the approval by mail from the board? Thank you.

Back