Caribbean Destinations

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
which dive shop did you go with?

we used "Divers Supply" off US 41 next to Life College.

We have our "checkout dives" this weekend at some springs in North Florida. Kind of looking forward to it, but the wife has to do all the "checkout" stuff and I get to swim around the springs, anyone ever been to "Blue Grotto & Troy Springs" ? I think this will put me at over 30 dives so I can take the next level course after this if I can find the time. I would like to do some of the wrecks at the Key's but most of them are all beyond 60 feet.

I did wuss out and rent a 7mm farmer john wet suit, the 68^ temperature of the springs cant be all that enjoyable in my normal 3mm wetsuit.

We did sign up for a new years trip to Key Largo with the same dive shop and I think we have resolved ourselves to dive somewhere in the Caymans this winter, just go to get babysitters for a week.

Our kids are big time jealous but I found out that at 8 they can do some scuba stuff in a pool, and get a card at 10, so this summer the dive shop has a week long camp where 2 of them can "get their feet wet"

oh yeah, a while back ( 1998) I had bought 2 Dacor regulators, I guess Dacor was bought out and they dont make any of the repalcement parts so I basically have 2 very lightly used, worthless, $700 regulators

We're taking a cruise in late October (yes, the day after I take the FE) and it goes to Grand Cayman, Roatan Island (Honduras), Belize, and Cozumel. Cruises are a particular favorite of ours; we prefer them to land-based vacations like at an all-inclusive or whatever.
We snorkel seriously and will likely snorkel in 3 of the 4 poirts. We're considering a resort scuba thing in Belize, because the reefs are supposed to be stunning. No time or inclination to get certified, though.

My field engineer up in Ontario loves Cuba and goes every few years. In the Toronto airport there was a lot of Cuba tourism advertising and it was just WEIRD to see, as an American who would have difficulty traveling there due to the embargo.
How long do you usually spend in port? I'm thinking about taking a cruise early next year at some point. Haven't been on a "real" vacation in about, oh, 13 years or so.

How long do you usually spend in port? I'm thinking about taking a cruise early next year at some point. Haven't been on a "real" vacation in about, oh, 13 years or so.
depends on the boat itinerary. Some arrive in the morning and leave at dusk, others arrive later in the day and leave in the middle of the night, while others are just half day things. From the cruises I have taken the Avg is probably 8 hours.

We did a week long sail boat trip around the virgin islands...british and us. Out of St. Thomas. Wonderful...clear water, great snorkeling, diving if you are certified, etc.

Blue Grotto is nice. You will not regret the 7-mil. I bought a 7/5 with a hood and was very comfortable!

I've been to the DS shop near LIFE, but do not know any of the people.

Another good north FL dive is Vortex Springs. Very clear water, lot's of fish and eels, and some decent cabins to spend the weekend.

To all the aspiring divers...if you check out in a lake...realize that the ocean water is much less claustrophobic. I went on a resort course in Cancun and then got my certification back home. My check out dive was in a lake in central texas...you couldn't see much more than your instructor. Some of the people in the class were freaking out. The carribean waters are no comparison...everything is so colorful and clear. If you check out before you go, though...you don't have to worry about all the formalities once you are there and you can just enjoy diving.

Last edited by a moderator:
well Blue Grotto was pretty nice, but there were a lot of other students and the visibility went down quick. The next day we went to Troy Springs which was pretty nice and no one else was there, lots of turtles and what I call "Garr Fish" And yes the 7mm

I cant wait until the kids are old enough to go down there, they will have a blast.

Only real complaint I had with the whole thing is they had us at a pretty crappy Best Western, I think all of us would have been happy paying an extra $50 bucks a night to stay at a decent hotel.

The same dive shop has a new years trip to Key Largo we were about to sign up for, its a reasonable cost, they have a big RV they drive everyone down in (TV's, DVD Players, etc) but I dont know if I want to spend New Years eve in one notch above a roach motel if you know what I mean, but I dont really want to have to drive 14 hours from Atlanta on my own either.....

Late reply:

We did the Key Largo trip with Seaventures out of Alpharetta. http://www.seaventures.com/

They take a motorcoach with 10-15 people....they stay in a decent motel, they drive while you play poker, drink beer, watch movies, etc. Around 11 pm, they fold out the bunks and everyone goes to sleep. When you wake up, your in the Keys. It was a pretty cool trip. The diving in Key Largo is GREAT! Lot's to see, clear water, etc.

The only bad part about the trip was getting back home at 2:00 am Monday morning, driving home from the dive shop, trying to go back to sleep and then getting up for work. My advise would be to take Monday off!

We spent about 8-10 hours in each port with the exception of Roatan (docked at noon, left at 6 PM).

We had some disappointment in Grand Cayman when the Marine Police closed down access to Stingray Sandbar. We were looking forward to the stingrays very much. We tendered in at 8 AM and then the ship left at 4 PM. After our snorkeling tour was cancelled we hit Margaritaville, then went back to the ship since it was raining and windy.

In Roatan it was overcast but the snorkeling (through an independent resort) was incredible. We paid $20 apiece to be on this private island for the day and spent 2 hours out snorkeling in a very small group (me and Mr. Bug and one other couple). Our guide was outstanding and it was just a wonderful experience.

In Belize we went on a ship-sponsored snorkeling excursion that was short (maybe 45 minutes), required you to wear a snorkeling vest, and where we kept getting kicked in the face by some moron's errant fin. We stuck to the front of the pack as best we could. It was great snorkeling but the large group size and the fact that most were not experienced snorkelers (or even able to swim) did put a bit of a damper on the whole thing. We weren't supposed to go below the surface, although the guides didn't freak when we and a few others did some free diving (as long as we didn't touch the coral).

In Cozumel we skipped snorkeling and went to see Mayan ruins on the mainland. It was an outstanding tour and we enjoyed it very much.

Western Caribbean ports are usually snorkeling-intensive. Our joke prior to the cruise was that all the ship sponsored tours were "...and Snorkel" - "Segway and Snorkel", "Beach Break and Snorkel", "Mexican Cuisine and Snorkel". There were some certified divers on the ship, but the resort SCUBA excursions kept getting cancelled due to rough weather/choppy seas. We only got to snorkel in Roatan because we went with a private option instead of the ship sponsored excursions - and that was an incredible snorkeling experience for both of us. Belize was lovely snorkeling but I wish we'd gone on a scuba excursion there instead. We are both excellent swimmers (former competitive swimmers, I was also a lifeguard) and experienced at snorkeling and free diving. In Roatan we were able to snorkel and free dive, and not in a huge pack of people, and it was much more enjoyable.

Eastern Caribbean ports are known for their shopping. Not so much on the snorkeling, although I believe a few Eastern Caribbean ports do have good diving.

We really love cruising. The ship has any amenity you might want and you get to see several different places while only unpacking once. Good food, lots of rum drinks - what more could one want? :) It's not for everyone but we plan to cruise every few years.

If you had a week to burn anywhere in the Caribbean, multiple stops ok, cruises ok, how would you do it? Relaxing trips are fine, but if you wanted to stay busy with lots of new things to see everyday, where would you go?
We've been to Couples (Tower Isle) three times in the last ten years and I'd go back again in a minute. They have so many activities that you'd be lucky to do it all in a week and you won't have to stock up on Dramamine.

They have daily scuba and snorkel trips but we have never gone.

Couples has four properties in Jamaica. They are all-inclusive and (as the name implies) couples only. So the "creepy guy" factor is as low as possible. Everybody is very social because nobody is available.

If you like the multiple stops, they also offer split trips. You could do half a week in Negril and half in Ocho Rios.

And before you ask, no, I don't get a commission.

Hey Crimson, I'm your neighbor in Mass.

Tropical islands aren't my first pick because I don't really like the heat. If I did go somewhere there, I would prefer someplace secluded and off the beaten path where I could hike in a rainforest or something. You couldn't pay me enough to go to a tourist trap resort.

Hey Crimson, I'm your neighbor in Mass.
Tropical islands aren't my first pick because I don't really like the heat. If I did go somewhere there, I would prefer someplace secluded and off the beaten path where I could hike in a rainforest or something. You couldn't pay me enough to go to a tourist trap resort.
You would like St. Lucia, away from the Beaches and Sandles Resots) down the coast by the Pintons. We stayed at a resort their, name escapes me, but it was a quick boat ride to the Pintons (to hike around) or Rainforest hike. I could not convince Mrs. C-Dog to do those, so we went on a plantation hike, through an old plantation (no longer in use) and pick coconuts and various wild plants to eat.

well here is a little re-cap of my Key Largo trip (GCracker I wish I would have done the seaadverntures one, it looked much better than ours ended up)

We decided to go with Divers Supply, the dive shop my wife did her certification with, she felt since it was her first time in the ocean and since her original instructor was going that she would feel more comofortable (I guess she doesnt trust me). anyways just before the trip we found out he wouldnt be going so that was a waste, but we were worried about the hotel and where it was, we should have known when they were very hesitant to tell us the name.. It ended up the hotel was actually pretty nice, right on the water, but there was no place within walking distance (bars, restaurants, shops) that was a major bummer for us, I dont understand why they wouldnt (knowing everyone is stuck down there without a ride) select a hotel that was closer to the central business district, but I think they thought this was a "dive trip" and not a vacation. We did end up shuttling to a publix and loading up on beer, food, etc, so we mainly hung around at the back of the hotel, which wasnt all that bad.

The diving was great, the current was a little more than we expected, got to do 8 dives, plus a night dive which was really cool, I had never done one of those and it was cool how the same reef looks totally different at night, lobsters everywhere.

Here goes the gripe.... the drivers on the way back were not really in a"Hurry" so we left Key Largo about 3 PM Saturday, one driver set up to sleep during the day so he could drive at night, but the other driver kept stopping and stopping every hour or so, it was pretty anoying to get everyone back on the RV everytime we stopped. I think the whole group was ready to get back to Atlanta and was kind of puzzled as to why we kept stopping, but early on we didnt groan to much, just wanted to get back home..

We then make another stop around midnight just south of the Ga/Florida line, about 4 people in our group were doing an advance class and the driver/instructor decided to fill out all the paperwork in a waffle house, which took another good hour while the rest of us waited.... by this point everyone is tired and pissed off.. some emotions / anger start to spew about the lack of organization (why couldnt they fill out the forms in the RV? after all there is a sofa, table, etc.. lights..)

anyways we finally get back on the road and then we find out we have to stop in Macon, Ga (about 2 hours south of Atlanta) The company has another store in macon. They wanted to offload the RV and trailer(large,large trailer full of dive gear) because the owners of the company like to keep the RV in macon and not Atlanta (dont know why)

......and the drivers we had didnt have a clue how to unload the large trailer we had all our gear in. In the interst of time several of us unload the trailer and load it onto the van they had to drive us back in, the hitch wasnt the right size so we had to wait while they called the owners to find out where the right hitch was, then no one knew the password to the alarm on the store, wasted about an hour and its now 3 AM so people are just pissed off.

I didnt understand why they didnt drive us straight to atlanta and let one of there hourly store employees drive the RV back down the next day (thats how I wouldl treat my customers)

Then they decide they want to go ahead and fill the RV up with gas before we leave, did I mention its 4 AM and we had been in the RV for about 12 hours already? I again didnt understand why one of the Macon employees wouldnt do this the next day? Why waste our time with it?? Or at least do it while we are unloading the trailer instead of standing around.

While they were on the phone with one of the owners he told them to pick up an order (that was in the macon store that needed to be shipped to atlanta)for one of their stores, (guess who helped load?) yup,, the "customers" not a big deal, but it wasted more time, everyones crabby and just ready to get home.

So about 5AM Sunday we finally get on the road to Atlanta where I was at my house around 9:00 AM...........

The dive part I had a great time with, but the logistics were very dissapointing(but the trip was relatively cheap $599/person) but I dont think I willever go that route again, it was good to get away and get some dives in, but next time I will fly and schedule my own dives and hotel :D or try the outift that Gcracker mentioned...

I have groaned to the owners via email, they were very apologetic, but I dont think they knew hoe inneficient there drivers were...... when I drive on a long trip we dont stop excpet for gas or if someone is in visible pain they need to pee!!!!!

Jamacia was ok...Dunns river falls was a lot of fun though
I've heard nothing but good things about Punta Cana
Kinda late, but since I went to Europe instead of the Caribbean, why was Jamaica just ok?

Kind of dirty
Yeah, it is important to keep in mind that most of the Caribbean is Second World. As soon as you stray from the resorts and other tourist areas, you will be reminded pretty quickly.

Our first trip to Jamaica, we tried golfing on Tuesday but the roads from the resort to the golf course were “unsecured.” There was still rioting on Wednesday. We finally golfed on Thursday.

And we thought it was cool that the course required caddies instead of carts. We’d never used caddies before. Then we got back to the resort and other guests told us caddies were required because we needed protection. Golfers without caddies can be attacked on remote parts of the course.

That being said, the resort and government made sure we were always safe. The last thing they want is tourists sharing stories of how they were robbed in their resort / country. It’s bad for business.

Back