Career Blues

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear you, from the other side (regulator). I am sick and tired of commenting on applicant's crappy plans, and inspecting and enforcing on the same stupid mistakes in the field. I feel like a tired old babysitter whose kids just aren't growing up. (Of course, my location probabaly has something to do with it - I am sure your company's land development plans would look flawless compared to the napkin drawings I regularly review).
Similarly, I also have very little direct supervision, and am stuck in my job, for a number of reasons. What I have done to keep my attitude from disappearing into the toilet is to work on various "fun" projects in my spare time at work - all work related, of course.

The ultimate answer is to find a new and better job, though. And if I understand your situation correctly, it doesn't seem to me like you're really all that "stuck." I suggest you start looking around.

This was not a cut on regulation side engineers - although it is hard to find a real regulatory engineer - i've never meet so many people who call themselves engineers and never even went to engineering college or took an EIT, etc. I can't stand reviewers that know so little that you are having to teach them what the code/regs means, etc. Unfortunately I seem to spend all of my time with incompetent reviewers, because the competent ones review the stuff and move on. i thought i wanted to spend a few years of my career (maybe 10 to 15) doing the public sector side - a noble idea - but after working with many of these agencies - no F'in way. hats off to anyone who can put up with that environment.

I think a lot of us end up finding ourselves in the same rut and end up spending more hours on a message board coming up with quirky content to post. :rolleyes:
I totally feel your pain - I am in the same boat. I think you need to evaluate your job prospects but also consider how you like your PERSONAL life as well - their needs to be balance in ALL aspects of your life.

I am also seeking out what I want to do when I grow up. My graduate work is a split between geotechnical analysis and coastal engineering. I am seriously thinking about doing something within THESE areas even if it means less responsibility to start off with and build into a career.

I noticed you seem to have something of a geotech background as well - have you thought about doing something slightly different?

JR
Personal life is good.

I actually just did a "Global Stability Analysis" - I like the geo stuff. problem is i need more course work at this point. college was awhile ago and doing real geo work is lots-o-liability - so A-game is always needed. Haven't found a local college offering classes. doing little "learn and deliver projects", like the Global Analysis, is my only way to keep my brain going. the owner/my boss tends to shy away from geo work. no changing his mind. (part of the problem)

This was not a cut on regulation side engineers - although it is hard to find a real regulatory engineer - i've never meet so many people who call themselves engineers and never even went to engineering college or took an EIT, etc. I can't stand reviewers that know so little that you are having to teach them what the code/regs means, etc. Unfortunately I seem to spend all of my time with incompetent reviewers, because the competent ones review the stuff and move on. i thought i wanted to spend a few years of my career (maybe 10 to 15) doing the public sector side - a noble idea - but after working with many of these agencies - no F'in way. hats off to anyone who can put up with that environment.
I understood you were talking about non-engineers. We have plenty of that, too. And yes, the work environment is not ideal. But everything has trade-offs, I guess, and I certainly have had a much happier personal life since I left the private sector. But eventually I would like to go back, if I could find a fun job that I could could keep at 40 hours or so a week, so I could still enjoy my family and personal time.

Back