CALIFORNIA RESULTS

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way I interpret the Georgia Board's website on this issue, it appears that if you get licensed in California with only two years experience, then you would not be eligible for comity in Georgia even if you get two more years experience after you are licensed in California. See requirement number 2 below, copied from Georgia's website:
Licensure by Comity

An applicant may qualify for certification as a Professional Engineer by comity if the applicant:

1. is currently licensed to practice professional engineering in another state, territory or possession of the United States; and

2. provides adequate evidence that, at the time the applicant was so licensed, the applicant met requirements that meet now current Georgia law; or

3. was licensed as a Professional Engineer on or prior to July 1, 1956; and

4. has made application to the Board and submitted the requisite, non-refundable, fee of $70.00 to the Board (made payable to the Secretary of State).

Maybe they would require you to retake the test in that case, to be licensed in Georgia? I don't know if other states have similar requirements.
Each state is different. I wonder if by the time I pass the exam I have 4 years experience if that would work for GA? not that I am looking to work in GA but you never know. The way it reads though it sounds like a PE from CA can not get a license from GA. Even if it is a number of years after the test. That does not make any sense though. I would think that 4 years of experience is just that and it should not matter when in that 4 years you took the test.

Each state is different. I wonder if by the time I pass the exam I have 4 years experience if that would work for GA? not that I am looking to work in GA but you never know. The way it reads though it sounds like a PE from CA can not get a license from GA. Even if it is a number of years after the test. That does not make any sense though. I would think that 4 years of experience is just that and it should not matter when in that 4 years you took the test.
I agree that it does not necessarily make sense, but the way the second requirement is written seems to indicate that the qualifications of a comity applicant at the time the applicant was licensed in another state must be consitent with Georgia's requirements for the applicant to be eligible for comity.

"2. provides adequate evidence that, at the time the applicant was so licensed, the applicant met requirements that meet now current Georgia law; or"

Maybe someone has experience to contradict this interpretation, and I hope so, because I would disagree with this policy. One should not be penalized for taking the test sooner in another state than would be allowed in Georgia, as long as they have the 4 years required experience when they apply for comity. Maybe the Georgia Board's wording is simply misleading. You can follow the following link to see the words written on the Board's website:

http://sos.georgia.gov/plb/pels/require-pe.htm

Someone made the point that there are plenty of people who pass the exam without any indication of what they did wrong, because they pass the test the first time. To those people I congratulate them. Clearly, the process that they used to pass the test the first time was better than my own. But, that has never been my point.
It seems that no gets what I am say. The system is the problem, not how many questions did I get wrong or right. As it is only the 15th of July I have no idea if I have passed or not. That is the problem. Why after every other state has their results do I need to wait another few days to find out if I passed or not and if I did not pass, I will have no real insight into what I did wrong so that I may learn my mistakes and correct them. I will just be able to gleam by how much I failed by which only tells me that I was close or not.

In my past postings I have pointed out both problems and solutions for the test. Both on a NCEES level and on a state level yet the only responses that I see are apathetic snippets of snide remarks with no real understanding that there is a problem. I do not hold out hope that this discussion will do much of anything to change the test process. Not that the answers are not out there, but because everyone seems to assume that this is the only way for the test to occur. We can not even talk about the engineering on the test. Doesn't that seem wrong to anybody else?

Several people have made postings in reference to what I have put out there that nothing can or will be done to make the system better, unless I make it my life's work. What a position to take. Aren't we engineers, don't we solve problems. Isn't that our calling, it is mine. I don't settle for ok when better is achievable. I submit to all that would be brave enough to support change that change maybe needed. The PE test is just one minor problem of all the problems that we face. The dependence on oil, shortages of water and food, decaying infrastructure, and environmental disasters are all problems that must be addressed in our life times if we hold out any hope for a better tomorrow for ourselves, our mates, and our children. How can we address the hard problems that really need addressing if we so easily dismiss the easy ones?

I am not looking for acceptance of my ideas; rather I am looking for an intelligent conversation about change.
I think the point everyone is trying to make is that the bottom line is that complaining about this whole process won't get you anywhere. Not to devalue anything you are saying, you are right in that a lot of things could and should be done better, but most of the negative responses are right, it simply does not matter. I understand the need to vent because there are a lot of things that seem outrageous (it is absolutely beyond me why california can't get the results out sooner, i'd probably have gone nutz by now).........but bottom line, you have to deal with them and pass the test, period. I am not sure what your experience is, but mine is with a state dot..........to get a set of plans out for bid, you have to get all kinds of different agencies and entities to sign off on things. There are things all the time that are beyond ridiculous and aggravating that just leaves you scratching your head. The politics that can go on are aggrivating. Not that the test is intentially mirroring it, but the bottom line is that's the real world.

Venting does serve a purpose to some people (i am one of them), BUT don't let it distract you from the task at hand.........and that is passing the test. The best thing you can do right now is to be really honest with yourself about how you did on the test. I haven't come across many people who had a gut feeling immediately after the test that turned out to be wrong. Unless you felt fairly good about it, it's time to start studying and getting ready for October...........hopefully you'll get a positive response in early august.

If you want to pursue the issue after you get your PE and fight to make changes, I wish you the best of luck, and i don't say that sarcastically. I felt the exact same way...........until the second i passed. That's just how it is. Anybody in a position to make any kind of change has no motivation to do so. Does it make it right? No, but at some point there are certain realities you must face.............you have to pick your battles, and this my friend is simply not a battle worth fighting once you recieve those two magical letters after you name.

I think the point everyone is trying to make is that the bottom line is that complaining about this whole process won't get you anywhere. Not to devalue anything you are saying, you are right in that a lot of things could and should be done better, but most of the negative responses are right, it simply does not matter. I understand the need to vent because there are a lot of things that seem outrageous (it is absolutely beyond me why california can't get the results out sooner, i'd probably have gone nutz by now).........but bottom line, you have to deal with them and pass the test, period. I am not sure what your experience is, but mine is with a state dot..........to get a set of plans out for bid, you have to get all kinds of different agencies and entities to sign off on things. There are things all the time that are beyond ridiculous and aggravating that just leaves you scratching your head. The politics that can go on are aggrivating. Not that the test is intentially mirroring it, but the bottom line is that's the real world.
Venting does serve a purpose to some people (i am one of them), BUT don't let it distract you from the task at hand.........and that is passing the test. The best thing you can do right now is to be really honest with yourself about how you did on the test. I haven't come across many people who had a gut feeling immediately after the test that turned out to be wrong. Unless you felt fairly good about it, it's time to start studying and getting ready for October...........hopefully you'll get a positive response in early august.

If you want to pursue the issue after you get your PE and fight to make changes, I wish you the best of luck, and i don't say that sarcastically. I felt the exact same way...........until the second i passed. That's just how it is. Anybody in a position to make any kind of change has no motivation to do so. Does it make it right? No, but at some point there are certain realities you must face.............you have to pick your battles, and this my friend is simply not a battle worth fighting once you recieve those two magical letters after you name.

Good post.

I dare somebody to call the board and ask them when the letters are going to be sent...ha!

watch out though, they might trace your call and give you a failing grade for the test!

I dare somebody to call the board and ask them when the letters are going to be sent...ha!
watch out though, they might trace your call and give you a failing grade for the test!
If I lived out there, they would be getting a minimum of a weekly call/email from me, and more likely a semi-weekly or even daily call/email. There's no good reason for the delay, so they should have to pay for their stubbornness/stupidity with reduced productivity due to every potential PE in the state calling them every day.

If I lived out there, they would be getting a minimum of a weekly call/email from me, and more likely a semi-weekly or even daily call/email. There's no good reason for the delay, so they should have to pay for their stubbornness/stupidity with reduced productivity due to every potential PE in the state calling them every day.

As a state agency, would they even be concerned with a reduction in their productivity?

As a state agency, would they even be concerned with a reduction in their productivity?
As a state employee(not CA), my answer would be no. State employee serve the public and all test takers are members of the public so answering a million phone calls about the same thing is just another part of the job...so it would actually increase productivity.

Last edited by a moderator:
See attached agenda for July 31st meeting for CA PE board. It is open to public and public can go in and have time to speak to the board members on issue they feel are important to them. Can or will somebody will go there....its right here in Sacramento.

See attached agenda for July 31st meeting for CA PE board. It is open to public and public can go in and have time to speak to the board members on issue they feel are important to them. Can or will somebody will go there....its right here in Sacramento.
You'll be there, right? You live right there.

I'm interested in what they will say about the long time. And I'm not being sarcastic. Maybe you can get them to do something. I'm not that interested, but I am curious to see what they say. Maybe they are unaware of the anguish they cause taking so long.

You'll be there, right? You live right there.
I'm interested in what they will say about the long time. And I'm not being sarcastic. Maybe you can get them to do something. I'm not that interested, but I am curious to see what they say. Maybe they are unaware of the anguish they cause taking so long.

I am not sure if I will go there. I am pretty sure they know the anguish we all go through with results being so late. I believe even if we raise the matter there, they may or may not address the issue. Its up to their discretion to discuss the public issue or not.

How lame! Not only do we have to wait forever, but it's the very last item on their Agenda! Oh well, wait is almost over. So, generally they send the letters out on Friday, or Monday? Is there a chance we could know by Saturday August 2? I assume they are all printed up and ready to go and just need to be administratively given the go-ahead to release?

How lame! Not only do we have to wait forever, but it's the very last item on their Agenda! Oh well, wait is almost over. So, generally they send the letters out on Friday, or Monday? Is there a chance we could know by Saturday August 2? I assume they are all printed up and ready to go and just need to be administratively given the go-ahead to release?
In the past some people have found out on Saturday. Especially people in Sacto. I don't know about this year.

This is my thinking too that all letters are ready and placed in envelopes (single page-if PASS and two-three pages if FAILED)and ready to be mailed on Friday morning. I hope to receive them on Saturday. My delivery man is usually late. Sometimes I saw him delivering mail at like 5PM.

Are we in CA is the only state left where we are waiting for the rsults?

Is there any other state out there who has not published there results?

Are we the CA be the last state to release results?

When I was waiting for results last time, I've got an email from a guy claiming "he received a note from BPEL" that I didn't pass and he was offering his review course to me; shortly after, I got my notice in the mail. I haven't heard from him this time.

^^ Are you saying someone else got your results info before you? and then had the kahuna's to try to sell you a review course?

When I was waiting for results last time, I've got an email from a guy claiming "he received a note from BPEL" that I didn't pass and he was offering his review course to me; shortly after, I got my notice in the mail. I haven't heard from him this time.
I would forward the email to the board ASAP. That sounds all kinds of wrong.

Although if you do hear from him again, give him my email address. I'm dying to find out! :D

Back