CALIFORNIA - RESULTS Oct 2010

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wonder all this time what the exact process is, and why it takes so long to get these results? NCEES got the results to CA Board in 8 weeks. I've read how NCEES analyses these tests, so I assume they send basically a set of numbers for each examinee. The Board selects the cut-off score, so basically assigns a pass or fail to each test taken, and gives out a diagnostic for each fail. With computers assisting all of this why does it take so long? CA has the most examinees, there are 10 other states waiting I think.
CA Board does not select the cut-off score or determine who passes or fails. Pass/Fail, cut-scores for the NCEES exam are same for all states. Of course, I'm only speeking about the 8hr Civil PE exam, not the state specifics.
The P.E. license is not issued without surveying and seismic, so CA board is trying to manipulate the state exam results to cut their budget losses.
Ouch! I hope not. Maybe they can get those pass rates down to, say... 20% instead of 38%.

Hope your not right about that either. I just need Surveying, and this exam appears to be pretty difficult even for professional Surveyors. I understand all of the material, they just don't give you enough time. You almost need some luck with the problems that you are forced to guess.

Hope your not right about that either. I just need Surveying, and this exam appears to be pretty difficult even for professional Surveyors. I understand all of the material, they just don't give you enough time. You almost need some luck with the problems that you are forced to guess.
I am in the same boat as you are. I am having stomach cramps thinking of if I did not pass...

hopefully today is the day when we will get result. Let's hope for best :party-smiley-048:

I bet you the results will out by the 01/21/2011

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet you the results will out by the 01/21/2011
1/21/2011 is the final postmark date for the repeat taker. If I am CA board that I will 1. sent out the result by this Friday or 2. change the repeat taker's final post date to next month...

We don't need to worry about the repeat taker final post date because we will pass.

I think i read on here that the RI board has to approve their results at their next meeting, which isn't until like Jan 19th or 20th. If that's true i don't see how CA could be last.

I think i read on here that the RI board has to approve their results at their next meeting, which isn't until like Jan 19th or 20th. If that's true i don't see how CA could be last.
+ just read IA looks like they won't get results till next week.

+ just read IA looks like they won't get results till next week.
Maybe we need to look at these dates as indicators of when we will get our results. CA is always last right? Like someone mentioned, CA posted that the results would come out early last year, before they posted that it would be another two weeks... I bet last years test takers thougth that would be the year that CA breaks the loosing streak - they were fooled.

Maybe the CA board is trying to time the different test results, mailing the state specific results and releasing the NCEES results online the next day. could that be why they are being so secretive?

Maybe the CA board is trying to time the different test results, mailing the state specific results and releasing the NCEES results online the next day. could that be why they are being so secretive?
I was thinking the exact same thing, so you would get the letter the same day the NCEES website would be accessible. I remember the April 2010 results, they scrambled and got all the letters to the post office on a Thurs. I think, then I got my letter on Fri 7/16, and others on Sat 7/17. I think if the NCEES website starts displaying results, you know the letters are in the mail also.

CA Board does not select the cut-off score or determine who passes or fails. Pass/Fail, cut-scores for the NCEES exam are same for all states. Of course, I'm only speeking about the 8hr Civil PE exam, not the state specifics.

Actually this is not true. NCEES makes a recommendation on the cut off score and it is up to each state to either accept that recommendation or make their own cut off score. Most states just accept the NCEES recommendation whereas others want to have a board meeting to discuss the pass rates etc. Not sure that I have heard of any state not accepting the NCEES recommendation on the passing score.

I am up here in Maine so will probably have to wait an extra day or two for the USPS to deliver my letter once they come out...ugh.

I am up here in Maine so will probably have to wait an extra day or two for the USPS to deliver my letter once they come out...ugh.
You should be able to see if you passed on the ncees website well before you get a letter.

Back