CA Results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if someone actually passes the second-day exams and flunks the first-day? anyone---
yes, that happens. I know quite a number of people who passed Seismic or Surverying or Seismic and Surverying and failed the National exam.
shooot.. i am so freaked thinking of first day evening session. why the heck did i write geotech? structural was so **** easy! anyways lets hope for the best. best of luck to me :)
I took Structural for my afternoon exam. It was tough. I don't know where you got the idea that Structural was easy. The only way by which you could make a sound comparison is if you took both tests. But none of us did...
it depends on lot of things.. geotech is not my profession.. i took it since lot of people told it's relatively easy way out.. and since i had to carry stuff from MD to CA, i didn't want to carry all the codes.. some of my friends told me it was tough, some told it was easy.. i looked at the paper for 2-3 minutes and whatever i saw (9 problems) they were relatively easy (especially compared to the geotech ones, where i had no clue).. anyways i know for sure that i wud have done a lot better at the structures depth.. i know i did pretty good in morning, so am hoping that it will carry me through..

I wonder if someone actually passes the second-day exams and flunks the first-day? anyone---
yes, that happens. I know quite a number of people who passed Seismic or Surverying or Seismic and Surverying and failed the National exam.
shooot.. i am so freaked thinking of first day evening session. why the heck did i write geotech? structural was so **** easy! anyways lets hope for the best. best of luck to me :)
I took Structural for my afternoon exam. It was tough. I don't know where you got the idea that Structural was easy. The only way by which you could make a sound comparison is if you took both tests. But none of us did...
it depends on lot of things.. geotech is not my profession.. i took it since lot of people told it's relatively easy way out.. and since i had to carry stuff from MD to CA, i didn't want to carry all the codes.. some of my friends told me it was tough, some told it was easy.. i looked at the paper for 2-3 minutes and whatever i saw (9 problems) they were relatively easy (especially compared to the geotech ones, where i had no clue).. anyways i know for sure that i wud have done a lot better at the structures depth.. i know i did pretty good in morning, so am hoping that it will carry me through..
Well, you should have taken Structural then if you thought it was easy and you know for sure you would have done a lot better at the structures depth. Nonetheless, I wish you all the best.

By the way, what's the point of taking a CA exam when you're in MD? Are you planning on moving to CA?

I am from Pennsylvania and I was qualified to take the test only in CA as I have less then 4 years of work expereince after college. Its painful to wait for the results to comeout. I believe results would come in 1st week of Feb.
:mf_followthroughfart:
I am curious as to what the requirements are in PA.

4 Year Engineering Degree from ABET Acrd. Colllege + 4 years of work experience AFTER passing FE

I am from Pennsylvania and I was qualified to take the test only in CA as I have less then 4 years of work expereince after college. Its painful to wait for the results to comeout. I believe results would come in 1st week of Feb.

4 Year Engineering Degree from ABET Acrd. Colllege + 4 years of work experience AFTER passing FE
Oh...Four years? I know how that feels. That's what happened to me in California as I attended a foreign university. I almost didn't want to take it anymore. But I finally did and I am patiently waiting for the result.

Oh...Four years? I know how that feels. That's what happened to me in California as I attended a foreign university. I almost didn't want to take it anymore. But I finally did and I am patiently waiting for the result.
I am wondering what is so special about CALI Board of PE that result release is almost 4-6 after everyone gets their. Well nothing can be done so lets just chill and party with whoever passed around you. :dancingnaughty:

I am wondering what is so special about CALI Board of PE that result release is almost 4-6 after everyone gets their. Well nothing can be done so lets just chill and party with whoever passed around you. :dancingnaughty:
So, since you're not practicing in California, you technically just need to pass the National Exam and you can apply for reciprocity and be a licensed engineer in PA. You don't even have to pass the State exams.

Is that possible?

absolutely. the reason why i wrote the exam in CA is that MD board is so amazing. i have undergraduate degree from foreign university, worked abroad for 6 years, did MS in US and when i went to MD board for credential evaluation for writing PE, they told me that i have to show them the design drawings and calculations for my work abroad. I was like are you kidding me, I mean isn't it sufficient I have a letter saying I worked in this blah blah organization for 6 years, but no. So CA was the best option, given that their requirements are pretty lenient. I applied to take the exam in April 09, but somehow my MS transcripts didn't reach the CA board in time, so they pushed me to October. I would have become eligible to write PE in MD next year :) .

I know I should have written Structures, and thats why I kick myself, but am hoping for the best. I didn't completely screw the geotech depth, but I know I would have done a lot better with the other.

The amazing part of the delay of declaration of results by CA board is that others will have their PE stamps made and most would have been promoted by the time you'll even smell the USPS letter. Additionally, if you fail, you are one month behind already with the preparations LOL.

So, since you're not practicing in California, you technically just need to pass the National Exam and you can apply for reciprocity and be a licensed engineer in PA. You don't even have to pass the State exams.

Is that possible?
Even if you pass the National exam from California, any other state board will still require you to have the relevant experience before they consider the reciprocity. I know a guy who appeared for exam in California, passed the National and Seismic, but failed Survey 3 times. He got fed up and applied for reciprocity in Maryland. The MD board made him wait for a year and a half before granting the PE license by reciprocity.

Is that possible?
Yes I dont have to pass state exam and I can apply for reciprocity but I still have to meet state boards requirements to get licensed. NJ, NY, DE is only 4 years work experience after college unlike PA. I had time and didn't want to wait one more year to take exam in this area so I flied took exam and had great weekend with my friends in LA area.

Yes I dont have to pass state exam and I can apply for reciprocity but I still have to meet state boards requirements to get licensed. NJ, NY, DE is only 4 years work experience after college unlike PA. I had time and didn't want to wait one more year to take exam in this area so I flied took exam and had great weekend with my friends in LA area.

Last edited by a moderator:
With WY, MA and OR declaring results, its almost 40 states down. States like NJ and OR actually declared their results almost 7-10 days ahead of schedule, but I am pretty certain the "Terminator" governed country is going to take its time, a lot of time. I wonder why these boards make the process more streamlined, given the amount of money charged for the application. Looking at the centers (I was at Cow Palace and it really stood upto its name) and the efficiency in declaring the results, the CA board definitely needs to think of methods of improving the process. CA sets the standards for other states to follow, so to say, then it should have been the first state to adopt e-mail notification etc., but ALAS, its probably to be the last, in line with being the last on the states to declare the results.

With WY, MA and OR declaring results, its almost 40 states down. States like NJ and OR actually declared their results almost 7-10 days ahead of schedule, but I am pretty certain the "Terminator" governed country is going to take its time, a lot of time. I wonder why these boards dont make the process more streamlined, given the amount of money charged for the application. Looking at the centers (I was at Cow Palace and it really stood upto its name) and the efficiency in declaring the results, the CA board definitely needs to think of methods of improving the process. CA sets the standards for other states to follow, so to say, then it should have been the first state to adopt e-mail notification etc., but ALAS, its probably to be the last, in line with being the last on the states to declare the results.

Last edited by a moderator:
With WY, MA and OR declaring results, its almost 40 states down. States like NJ and OR actually declared their results almost 7-10 days ahead of schedule, but I am pretty certain the "Terminator" governed country is going to take its time, a lot of time. I wonder why these boards dont make the process more streamlined, given the amount of money charged for the application. Looking at the centers (I was at Cow Palace and it really stood upto its name) and the efficiency in declaring the results, the CA board definitely needs to think of methods of improving the process. CA sets the standards for other states to follow, so to say, then it should have been the first state to adopt e-mail notification etc., but ALAS, its probably to be the last, in line with being the last on the states to declare the results.
I probably missed it, but you're from Maryland. Why are you taking the test in California?

I probably missed it, but you're from Maryland. Why are you taking the test in California?
the reason is given above in one of the posts. additionally, once u are registered in California, you have a door open in case u want to move.

the reason is given above in one of the posts. additionally, once u are registered in California, you have a door open in case u want to move.
Okay, I found it. Looks to me like you should be grateful to California. You'd be waiting a lot longer somewhere else.

benbo - i am grateful, as you can see from my post where I mention that CA board did some firsts. i would definitely be waiting till april 2010 to write the PE, if the CA board has not relaxed the requirements. i don't mean anything negative, just curious about the process. i know that CA board takes longer time than other boards since they process two more exams in addition to the National exam.

benbo - i am grateful, as you can see from my post where I mention that CA board did some firsts. i would definitely be waiting till april 2010 to write the PE, if the CA board has not relaxed the requirements. i don't mean anything negative, just curious about the process. i know that CA board takes longer time than other boards since they process two more exams in addition to the National exam.
ok, sorry. I know CA takes a ridiculous amount of time, because I was waiting on pins and needles myself a few years ago. Good luck.

Let's worry about our result after mid-Jan. Otherwise I am going to kill myself before the new year.

Is that possible?
Just curious, is there a reason you didn't take it in VA, or another nearby state? I am also from PA and took the Oct 09 exam in Virginia. Do you work out in CA? Just curious why you went as far as CA?

Is that possible?
Just curious, is there a reason you didn't take it in VA, or another nearby state? I am also from PA and took the Oct 09 exam in Virginia. Do you work out in CA? Just curious why you went as far as CA?
My total work experience at the time of CA PE application was 3 years 15 days. And here is why

CA PE Requirement - EAC Eng degree + 2 yrs exp

VA PE Requirement - EAC Eng degree + 4 yrs exp

Back