Buying second home advice

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KF, I was using that weed killer and find that it doesn't work too well.

So, I picked this one up: 
51SKQkUoL0L._SY355_.jpg

It's more expensive but works very well on my lawn.

There's way more enjoyable things to do in life than yard work.  If your neighbors don't like your lawn then tough shit, tell them to mind their own damn business.  Let it grow to 2' tall and then mow the letters F U in the front yard.

(Or go my route and buy a house in the woods where no one else can see your lawn)

^I was thinking that I had gone that route, since I am in the hills and surrounded by forest, but it seems our three homes are the only three in this entire area that have directly adjacent lawns, and I'm the unlucky guy in the middle between two retirees who have nothing but time to work on theirs.

I've been getting lazier and paid a guy to do my yard cleanup and throw some fertilizer down.  So far I'll still mow it myself because I really need the exercise.  If I have the guy mow the lawn I'll need to get to the gym.  this way I save a couple of bucks.

KF, I was using that weed killer and find that it doesn't work too well.

So, I picked this one up: 

It's more expensive but works very well on my lawn.
Really?! Interesting. I since switched to Spectracide because some other stuff I was using (Ortho?) wasn't working. I was hesitant too because I didn't recognize the brand. But maybe they've since changed the formula since you used it last. Now I can spray the weeds in the morning and by sundown, I can see them starting to wilt. Unless perhaps it doesn't work well on a specific type of weed you have. For dandelions and creeping charlie it works well in my yard. :dunno:

I picked up something different (Scott's version?) because they didn't have either the Bayer or the Spectracide, so we'll see.  Also going to sprinkle on some "weed & feed" and see how that goes.  If the grass doesn't start coming in better, I'll see about renting a dethatcher.  I can't stomach the idea of manually raking the whole thing....

I picked up something different (Scott's version?) because they didn't have either the Bayer or the Spectracide, so we'll see.  Also going to sprinkle on some "weed & feed" and see how that goes.  If the grass doesn't start coming in better, I'll see about renting a dethatcher.  I can't stomach the idea of manually raking the whole thing....
I don't really have a good idea of how big your lawn actually is. But I would recommend thatching the thicker areas otherwise the weed & feed will do little to help since it will be sitting on layer of dead grass vs. that of getting to the base of the healthy grass where it will provide nutrients. Just sayin'... ;)

do you have a local rental place where you can rent a power rake/dethatcher?

i have a dethatcher blade on my push mower, want to use it?

Don't you have kids?
Yeah I do, and this has been really pissing me off. My in-laws are visiting, so I think that (trying to not look bad in front of grandma) had something to do with the fact that my daughter finally got off her ass and started helping me the other night by pulling up dandelions and actually mowing the lawn (did a shitty job, though). 

Yeah I do, and this has been really pissing me off. My in-laws are visiting, so I think that (trying to not look bad in front of grandma) had something to do with the fact that my daughter finally got off her ass and started helping me the other night by pulling up dandelions and actually mowing the lawn (did a shitty job, though). 
that falls into the if I do a shitty job i wont be asked to do it again, but I still did it so you can't complain that I didn't help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back