Buying second home advice

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramnares P.E.

Reaction score
Now that mini-Ram is entering pre-K moving to a neighborhood with better schools is becoming a priority.  After much discussion my wife and I decided to move to Fairfield, CT.  We're familiar with the area and have quite a few homes to visit this weekend.

My biggest concern, of course, is paying two mortgages until our current home is sold.  Met with a realtor who came highly recommended from a good friend and she believes our current home can be sold in 3 months, faster if we decide to lower the price.

For those who have been through this, any advice on things I should be considering?

Is the sale of the old home necessary to support putting 20%+ down on the new place, or does it have any impact on your ability to get financing on the new place?

Is there a lot of equity in the current home?  We had two houses for about 6 months.  We took out a bridge loan for part of  the down payment on the new one.  Basically a type of short term loan on the equity of the old house.  Only good for short term though or else the payments would make 3 instead of 2.

I went through this in the past 8 months.  In my situation my house was already paid off, so the paying two mortgages wasn't an issue, but there's still risk associated with not selling.  Not to mention you have to take care of two houses in the mean time.

The biggest problem I ran into was with the city.  In Michigan we have a homestead tax exemption for a primary residence.  When I revoked the exemption on the old house and moved it to the new house, the city immediately sent a notice that since my old house was no longer owner-occupied, I had to register it and have it inspected and brought up to the city's rental housing code.  I did NOT want to do this, being a 100 year old house it was likely they would cite some violations and then I would be on the hook for fixing them or face condemnation.  Long story, but the drama went on for a while and I got the city council involved.  My point is, one thing to consider is what are the rules are for vacant housing in your municipality.  And don't trust asking a real estate agent, talk to the municipality directly.

I ended up putting my house up for sale in January and the sale closed in late April, so the three month time frame is definitely possible, especially since the January-February timeframe is typically not a good time to sell a house.  It really depends on how the real estate market moves in your area, though.  My wife's house took about 2 years to sell.  I also have a coworker who owned two houses for two years because one didn't sell, but that was during the middle of the housing crisis.  Trying to maintain two homes over the summer would be a bear, with everything else you have going on, trying to move and then having to mow two lawns, etc.

The other options aren't always the greatest either.  You can try to buy with a contingency based on selling your exisiting place, but the sellers of your new home might not accept that contingency.  Or if the buyer's of your house fall through (e.g. poor financing) then you're in trouble.  The people I bought my house from went this route and they were very concerned about my creditworthiness because they didn't want the sale to fall through or they'd lose the house they were buying.  Then they had a very tight schedule for moving since they closed on both houses the same day.  Their move did not go smoothly.

Another option is to sell your house and rent for the interim.  That wasn't a good option for us with two dogs and two cats, plus a ton of junk we'd have to move twice.

It wasn't stress free, but in the end it worked out for use to buy before selling, but the main question is the risk of what happens if you can't sell in the time frame you expect.

To add to the unexpected expenses list, my parents who live about 10 minutes away from where you're looking to buy, owned my grandmother's house.  Once she passed away, insurance went up roughly 5X-6X in the interim, because insurance companies frown heavily on unoccupied homes.  Your homeowners insurance policy probably has a set limit upon which the home can remain unoccupied before they void your policy, because its at increased risk for fire, theft, vandalism, etc.  You may need to talk to them about a vacant and unoccupied home policy.

It seems like its always going to be an issue but It seems to always find a way to work itself out (unless you just have a real undesirable home currently).

When we moved cross country it was our biggest fear of being stuck with a mortgage for a house we were not living in, it was a miserable crazy time but it worked out.

We were dealing with dual house payments with our move as well.  Houses in our neighborhood were selling within a week before we first listed, but the market died overnight. House sat on the market for 4 months with almost no activity. Forced us to drop our price below where we really wanted to (and below it's true value). We ended up competing against a new development builder just down the hill who started selling similar houses for lower prices because they weren't as "finished" as ours was (we had solar panels, custom back patio, full established landscaping, fenced backyard). People didn't care that the builder was less-finished and that those houses would ultimately cost more, they wanted the "clean slate" to do their own thing and despite our house only being 5 yrs old it was still "used".

In the end, the house across the street (identical floorplan) sold for almost $200k more than ours because they sold 3 months before we listed. Granted, it was valued at $100k more because it had a walkout basement and un-obstructed rear view of the mountains (our house was an "interior" lot).

We still sold it for enough to pay everything off, but we didn't make any money on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the lack of responses.  Field day yesterday and didn't have a chance to log in:

1.  Sale of old home isn't required to make the down payment on the new home.

2.  Did not consider home insurance rules regarding non-occupation so I'll look into that.  Hopefully it isn't an issue.

3.  Spoke to the Realtor about sale of homes in my area specifically.  There have been a few homes in the surrounding blocks and a couple on mine that were up for sale recently and were sold fairly quickly.  3-6 months is reasonable, 6 months might be pushing it.  2 years would have me seriously regretting this decision.  

4.  Will update after Sunday when we see the homes we're considering. 

I think if you're going to do it, now's the time.  Everyone is looking now that the kids have finished the school year.

We've driven through the neighborhood a few times and I have a couple friends that live nearby that provided good feedback also.  We're planning on looking at 6 houses Sunday but my wife and I are really interested in 2 of the 6.  Barring any major findings during the walkthrough we'll probably move fairly quickly to put an offer in.

Then it's a good thing I won't have much of a front lawn.

I hate having a f'ing lawn.  I was away off and on for 3 weeks and no one in my house did a damn thing about the lawn. I come home Monday evening and go chat with my 75 year-old neighbor and he starts (gently) getting on my case about the dandelions in my lawn, and how I need to kill them before the seeds spread them onto his lawn.  Fuck.  So I had to spend hours Monday and Tuesday pulling dandelions (it's amazing how that will hurt your hands after a while), and then mowing and weed whacking after giving up on that.

On top of that my lawn is essentially dead, as are most of my neighbor's lawn (too cold too son last December, @akwooly?), so I seem to be faced with some major lawn work over the short summer here.  

I should have bought a condo...

did you know the beaver is the hardest working animal in the animal kingdom?

D- Do you have any neighbors kids that mow lawns for $$? My boys are making a killing on lawns so far this year...

I hate having a f'ing lawn.  I was away off and on for 3 weeks and no one in my house did a damn thing about the lawn. I come home Monday evening and go chat with my 75 year-old neighbor and he starts (gently) getting on my case about the dandelions in my lawn, and how I need to kill them before the seeds spread them onto his lawn.  Fuck.  So I had to spend hours Monday and Tuesday pulling dandelions (it's amazing how that will hurt your hands after a while), and then mowing and weed whacking after giving up on that.
Not sure what kind of local hardware store you have nearby, but this stuff works wonders for killing weeds (and not grass) and might save you some back pain. 

HG_96418_SP_WS_Crab_Accushot_F.jpg

Also, based on some of the grass I saw in Alaska, I'm assuming what you have is similar. A round of Scotts weed & feed (use the concentration with low nitrogen) would probably help considerably to revive your lawn and also cut down on the weed population. The best defense against weeds is actually a healthy lawn. The challenge is getting it to that point initially. Also make sure you aren't cutting it too short.

^My boss actualy recommended the Weed & Feed yesterday, I will probably be headed to Home Depot today to pick some up.  I will also try to get the Weed Stop for some targeted killing. Thanks @knight1fox3

There's something else going on in my lawn - a carpet of black, mushy stuff developed in one large area last year.  I was assuming it was moss, but this year it's not there, just a layer of dead grass. So maybe that had accumulated (prior to my ownership) and turned black.  I don't know, but I am thinking I need to thatch my lawn.

Fuck I hate having a lawn.  In the tropics it was easy - keep it cut, short, and it looked decent.  No watering necessary, not fertilizer, and lots of young relatives to mow it for me for cheap.  

just a layer of dead grass. So maybe that had accumulated (prior to my ownership) and turned black.  I don't know, but I am thinking I need to thatch my lawn.
Yep! Get yourself one of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ames-19-Tine-Adjustable-Thatch-Rake-2915100/204476215

Will make a world of difference in allowing the healthy part of your lawn breath and get more sunlight/moisture. When we first moved into our home, the lawn was very "thin" and had layers of dead grass. I did the thatching ONE season and since then with weed & feed, the issue never returned. Good luck.

And look at it this way, yard work is a good way to get unintentional exercise. :thumbs:

Latest posts

Back