buying a gun

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the worst criminals in OK are the police. Also, there is a black market on body armor. Also if needed, the .44 or larger will take out an engine block. If I have to use something, I want to make sure it has stopping power.
Sounds like someone lives in Creek County.

On topic I've always been a fan of the 1911. Don't know much about rifles or shotguns since I'm a blackpowder guy and they're not good for self-defense.

If you are set on a handgun, I'd stick to a S&W revolver in .357 Mag. But There is a Kimber 45 on my Christmas list.
i'm partial to the medium-frame Taurus .357 mag revolver (4" barrel, 7 rds)

On topic I've always been a fan of the 1911. Don't know much about rifles or shotguns since I'm a blackpowder guy and they're not good for self-defense.

A security guard where my dad worked in the 60's carried a black powder revolver. His logic was that if he ever had to use the thing, he was going to fire a couple of quick rounds and then hide in the smoke.

I like a baseball bat for quick home protection.
I have numerous machetes and I am good with them - I think someone brandishing a machete will scare away most unarmed intruders.

Here's an interesting fact for you: I live in probably the only part of the US that has really strict gun control laws. The only guns you can own here are shotguns in the .410 caliber, and rifles in .22 caliber (but someone decided .223 is OK - go figure). No handguns at all. And, even owning the kinds of guns that are allowed is very carefully regulated by a license program, and very few even attempt that.

So bottom line, there just aren't many guns around here (it's an island, after all -can't just drive over to the next state and buy one). I own guns, but they're all in the states. I feel very little need for one here, but part of me would like to be able to have one around. The recent supreme court decision on the DC handgun ban has prompted a few of my attorney friends to test the waters and apply for permits to bring in large caliber handguns and automatic rifles. Last I heard, they still had not gotten a reply.

Who knows, if these guys succeed, I may NEED a firearm to defend my home, because then there will be plenty of them around.

Last edited by a moderator:
A security guard where my dad worked in the 60's carried a black powder revolver. His logic was that if he ever had to use the thing, he was going to fire a couple of quick rounds and then hide in the smoke.
Those blackpowder pistols aren't concidered guns here in OK, and you can carry them concealed without a permit.

No, but there isn't much difference between counties or towns. There are enough bad apples scattered about, and I have heard too many stories.

Going back to my original statement of buying enough gun, one of my neighbors that lives between me and Garth Brooks will be up on murder charges because he had to go back and get two more guns to take care of the intruder. His first gun, a .25 auto only made the other guy mad. Then he didn't finish the job with a .44 mag, but did when he got the 12 guage out. If he had got the 12 guage out the first time, he would be off on self defense.

if the dude is in your house and still threatening you why can't you get a bigger gun?

if the dude is in your house and still threatening you why can't you get a bigger gun?
Chances are, him bleeding at you doesn't count as threatening. If he was still firing his gun at me, though, I'd go out and buy a .50 caliber gun and finish his ass off.

Going back to my original statement of buying enough gun, one of my neighbors that lives between me and Garth Brooks will be up on murder charges because he had to go back and get two more guns to take care of the intruder. His first gun, a .25 auto only made the other guy mad. Then he didn't finish the job with a .44 mag, but did when he got the 12 guage out. If he had got the 12 guage out the first time, he would be off on self defense.
Here is the story: http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.asp...A7_hHewas804542

My neighbors goes from one extreme to the other with Garth Brooks being on the other extreme.

Domestic disturbance is a long way from an intruder. Sounds like a bad situation all around.

BTW, we had tax free gun weekend last weekend. The sell Desert Eagle .44 Magnums for 1,500 bucks, so it would have been a good saving on that peice of artillery.

Guys, I have a problem with my gun.

It's reloading time is abysmal (pretty big word for a 13 year old, huh?). Sometimes I have to wait 15 minutes or even more before I can shoot again.

Also, I've wondered if I should opt for an automatic. I've got a pump action right now, which seems just fine, but maybe an automatic would have some advantages in speed of reloading.

What do you guys think?

It's reloading time is abysmal (pretty big word for a 13 year old, huh?). Sometimes I have to wait 15 minutes or even more before I can shoot again.

Also, I've wondered if I should opt for an automatic. I've got a pump action right now, which seems just fine, but maybe an automatic would have some advantages in speed of reloading.

What do you guys think?
I'm guessing you've got a pretty good choke on it already?

What do you guys think?
http://www.midwayusa.com/ has plenty of reloading supplies. Look for a faster reloading setup where you aren't having to do each step manually. Also, it helps to reload more than one shell at a time so you don't have to wait 15 minutes between shots. It might help to just buy a bunch of bulk ammo, and reuse the cases for reloading.

For shotgun shells, I can usually load a box in 25 minutes on a single press. It really only pays to reload the more expensive field and magnum loads for pheasants or turkeys.

Anybody know which .40 Glock pro athlete Plaxico Burress shot himself with?

He has big hands. I'd be surprised if it was anything smaller than a standard-sized G22.

And I'd be VERY surprised if he snuck something that big into a nightclub undetected. He probably had to promise the door man a couple tickets.

Anybody know which .40 Glock pro athlete Plaxico Burress shot himself with?
He has big hands. I'd be surprised if it was anything smaller than a standard-sized G22.

And I'd be VERY surprised if he snuck something that big into a nightclub undetected. He probably had to promise the door man a couple tickets.
It's winter time. I can conceal my 22C in this kind of weather.

Back