buying a gun

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's winter time. I can conceal my 22C in this kind of weather.
I guess I assumed he'd got the wand or a patting-down, going into a nightclub in Manhattan.

EDIT: I did a little research at lunchtime and found that he was originally turned away because they knew he was carrying.

Last edited by a moderator:
After the election everyone got in a frenzy, buying up every AR-15 available. Of course this made me want one also. I started looking for an AR-15 with a .458 SOCOM upper, every supplier basically just laughed and said it would be at least a year before I could get one.

I have noticed the Ammo prices have gone through the roof.
It's been that way for the last several years. It turns out that fighting an un-winnable war for 7 years will waste a shitload of copper, brass, gun powder and primers. So not only is assembled ammo expensive, but so is all of the supplies required to roll your own.

Domestic ammo hasn't been too bad. Try shooting competitive .22 rifle when all of the equipment comes over from Europe. You can get a brick of decent .22 target ammo for $40 domestically. My Eley Tenex... $140 a brick before shipping! My rifle was around $2500 when I bought it, nearly $4k new now for the same rifle in a different stock. Exchange rates have done as much to hurt shooting costs as the war has.

It's winter time. I can conceal my 22C in this kind of weather.

I am about to buy a Glock in 40 caliber. I'm volunteering for my local sheriff reserves and they require 40 caliber.

They allow two makes, including Glock which I prefer (reliability, price, etc). I'm leaning toward the G23 over the G22. It's a little easier to concealed carry and my hands are not big enough to necessitate getting the G22.

By the way, I plan to buy new. The price of used Glocks is so high that I could probably get a new one for nearly the same price (with law enforcement discount). Plus I'd get three magazines ... and the cool blue box. ;) Not to mention, you never know if a previous owner has been shooting lead or whatever.

Also, the sheriff won't allow the comp models like yours.

So that’s what’s led me to the G23. Do you see any flaws in my reasoning? Sounds like you’ve had a fair amount of experience with Glocks and I would appreciate your feedback.

I am about to buy a Glock in 40 caliber. I'm volunteering for my local sheriff reserves and they require 40 caliber.
They allow two makes, including Glock which I prefer (reliability, price, etc). I'm leaning toward the G23 over the G22. It's a little easier to concealed carry and my hands are not big enough to necessitate getting the G22.

By the way, I plan to buy new. The price of used Glocks is so high that I could probably get a new one for nearly the same price (with law enforcement discount). Plus I'd get three magazines ... and the cool blue box. ;) Not to mention, you never know if a previous owner has been shooting lead or whatever.

Also, the sheriff won't allow the comp models like yours.

So that’s what’s led me to the G23. Do you see any flaws in my reasoning? Sounds like you’ve had a fair amount of experience with Glocks and I would appreciate your feedback.
No, you can't really go wrong with any Glock. My hand is too big to shoot the 23 comfortably, but I wouldn't hesitate to carry it as a CCW. I just got the compensated model because it looks really cool at night, and it really does decrease the amount of time to get back on target between rounds. I can tell you that those exhaust ports are a pain in the ass to clean.

No, you can't really go wrong with any Glock. My hand is too big to shoot the 23 comfortably, but I wouldn't hesitate to carry it as a CCW. I just got the compensated model because it looks really cool at night, and it really does decrease the amount of time to get back on target between rounds. I can tell you that those exhaust ports are a pain in the ass to clean.
I plan to shoot a G23 for the first time on Monday. It's usually tough to get over to the gun shop but we get King Day off. So it will give me a chance to test drive the G23 and see if it's too small for me.

Then I'll stop over at the local police supply store and do a little "window shopping."

Longterm, I think I'll have a G23 for concealed carry with a G22 for volunteering.

Back