Bitcoin - Anyone Investing?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At that rate, it is going to exceed the real estate market value. 

@Bonsai, did you invest in Bitcoin? What Company? Which platform/broker?
I did not and will not, but have plenty of friends who are hooked into etherium/bitfinex. I've done everything I could to talk them out of it, but all they see is the numbers going up.

I have no desire to put my own money on the line. I prefer my get rich slowly scheme of saving for retirement through index funds.

Important distinction between backing blockchain and investing in Bitcoin.  I do think blockchain tech will be the way things work in the future, but I'm not backing the "originator" of cryptocurrency just because it's the first, especially when it's a bubble that is presently valued at more than an ounce of tangible gold.

:blink:

I need specs/photos! :eek:ldman:
Don't get me lying on the specs. I'm just a bystander in this operation lol. This is the smaller one. There are two bigger ones in plywood enclosures they built. I was just informed they moved to a friends shop or something cause they were giving off too much heat in the house. 

IMG_1700[1].PNG

IMG_1701[1].PNG

I did not and will not, but have plenty of friends who are hooked into etherium/bitfinex. I've done everything I could to talk them out of it, but all they see is the numbers going up.

I have no desire to put my own money on the line. I prefer my get rich slowly scheme of saving for retirement through index funds.
What type of index funds? 

I've been tempted to over the past year or so, but just cant get over the fact that your buying electrons.  There is nothing there.  That said I'll keep thinking about it, but I'm pretty sure we are all a few years to late.  Its got to come crashing down and soon.  Right?

but just cant get over the fact that your buying electrons.  There is nothing there.
I beg to differ. An Electron is an elementary particle that is a fundamental constituent of matter, having a negative charge of 1.602 × 10 −19 coulombs, a mass of 9.108 × 10 −31 kilograms, and spin of ½, and existing independently or as the component outside the nucleus of an atom. So it's there!  :D

Someone gave me a hot tip on how to get hold of more electrons than you can handle!

latest

A combination of small/med cap, large cap, S&P, bond, and international funds.

For a primer, check out www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf
Great. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now the demand is only because people are buying it as a get rich quick scheme. There is no asset or government backing this currency so it is hard to perform valuations effectively. There is very little regulation so is a 99% chance that some of the players are doing some shady activity. Also very little of it is being used for actual commerce. If you got in early then go celebrate on your yatch. If not, wait on the sidelines for a correction as people take profits and the weak hands run away from volatility.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I discussed the whole idea with my wife last night and we are going with a small investment into it.  It's probably like 11th or 12th inning in, but I may not be too late. 

I picked the wrong horse in this race. The worst part is to purchase the other cryptos I was buying I was first converting to bitcoin. Would have been best just to leave it there. I'm up from were I started but not near the returns it could have been.  I still think there is some money to be made for long term investors. I heard someone compare this market to the .com market in the 90's and that seems pretty accurate. Just watch out for those popping bubbles. 

And I'm still hoping this bitcoin craze will get the other ones I hold moving. Nothing too big yet...

I've been tempted to over the past year or so, but just cant get over the fact that your buying electrons.  There is nothing there.  That said I'll keep thinking about it, but I'm pretty sure we are all a few years to late.  Its got to come crashing down and soon.  Right?
I don't understand why cryptocurrencies has to be such a polarizing topic. If you don't know much about it, educate yourself and stop screaming the sky is falling! 2 months ago I invested $50 in Bitcoin and $50 in Etherium. That's 100 bucks people! If I lost it all, would it suck? Of course! Would it break the bank for me? Hell no. I can tell you right now I've washed more than $100 down the drain for WAY worse reasons. Just be wise. If you decide to invest, invest an amount you won't miss if it goes bye-bye. And if you don't decide to invest, that's great too. But don't try to make the rest of us feel stupid when, in all honesty, the dollar is less than electrons...we just haven't realized it yet. There's more debt than actual real money in the world and the dollar is controlled by the Fed...and that makes the dollar more stable than these cryptocurrencies how? Just be cautious, no matter what way you lean. Also, be leery of people that are adamantly for or against investing. To me, that throws up all kinds of red flags. What works for you might not work for someone else, perhaps even the majority of other people....and vice versa.

I picked the wrong horse in this race. The worst part is to purchase the other cryptos I was buying I was first converting to bitcoin. Would have been best just to leave it there. I'm up from were I started but not near the returns it could have been.  I still think there is some money to be made for long term investors. I heard someone compare this market to the .com market in the 90's and that seems pretty accurate. Just watch out for those popping bubbles. 
Tortoise and the hare, my friend. Hang in there.....hopefully you didn't invest too much.

Back