Biggest bucket list item

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was worried, when I saw I had been tagged, that I was on your bucket list. "Crap. Is this Indecent Proposal, eb.com version?" 

I would recommend NOT eating pizza and drinking a microbrew, then going. I hear a "friend" may have left a deposit on the mountain. Ahem. 

Go back home, Masshole! 

Just kidding. I have friends that live close to Franconia and the one time I visited, it felt like the entire state of Massachusetts followed us up there. Now I fly into Manchester and avoid the Boston madness. 
I'll be in the Matt safe thread if you need me. 

we spent the least amount of time in the geyser areas of Yellowstone. too many people and it just wasn't all that interesting to us. but we did do some backcountry backpacking in the NW Section (near where the volcano used to be) - that was a great experience but I didn't sleep much that night - I was on bear patrol...  But we got to walk next to a sleeping bison (kind of had to it was in the middle of this very narrow trail in the woods and it was like 7 or 8 of them were taking a nap...)

I think I would only go back to Yellowstone in the winter or to take my parents if they ever decide to go. way to many people in the summer..

Were trying to squeeze in a trip to Glacier this summer, but the weekends are filling up!

see, these are the things that intimidate me. I would probably sneeze and wake/startle the bison and it would call its bear friends and then you'd never hear from me again. And I don't want to do that to you all. 

The best parts of Yellowstone are all at least a 1/4 mile away from the main roads (and crowds).

like the people that go to Grand Canon and never leave the pavement .... smh...

like the people that go to Grand Canon and never leave the pavement .... smh...
I'm going here in November! Any tips of best spots? I'll be with my parents who have knees in disrepair so I can't leave them for long, but would like to do things if possible. Went to west rim last year and it was pretty but there wasn't really anywhere to explore that I saw??

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Aka I think I could totally go do an hour rt wander/hike but more than that they will likely get bored. And I want to plan ahead so I can find things for them to do while I do others. Ha

We only did two days but we went (too far) into the Canyon South Kabib trail I think is the name?  If you can spare 3 hours its totally worth it to go down around 2000 feet into the canyon, or at least 1000 feet.  But the way back up is literally like a steep staircase..

But you have to take a bus to get there so you can leave your parents at the "town"area - there is tons to do. (inside the park)

There is a lookout tower building - I cant recall the name but someone here will, its a short walk and I think it overlooks most of the canyon and a former airplane crash.

Also a lot of times they offer the night time sky gazing and will have telescopes and "ranger talks" where they will point out all the stars you can see from the middle of nowhere, it was really cool.

For those of you with younger kids I totally regret not going to the GC and camping for a week, there is so much to do and you can take bikes everywhere. There are large stores and ice cream places all around.. I was totally bummed out that I didn't do that with my kids when they were in middle school..

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to hike the Appalachian Trail from start to finish in one hiking season (i.e. not breaking up into segments over several years.)   

Last edited by a moderator:
Just made a date to hike little si this Saturday am! It's a baby compared to all yall but gotta start somewhere right? Will this be my first summit? Is that a thing?

I would like to hike the Appalachian Trail from start to finish in one hiking season (i.e. not breaking up into segments over several years.)   
a coworker of mine just quit and started this last month..  he posts on facebook occasionally after he charges his cell phone via the sun and the photos are pretty cool...  I think I'll just stick to trying to finish up the remaining segments I have left though.

1st Summits you have to drag a piece of cardboard so you can write the summit name and elevation on it so you can add it to your log book ;)

1st Summits you have to drag a piece of cardboard so you can write the summit name and elevation on it so you can add it to your log book ;)
I WILL DO THIS AND YOU WILL SEE A HIDEOUS PHOTO OF IT! 

I think I would only go back to Yellowstone in the winter or to take my parents if they ever decide to go. way to many people in the summer..
I went in October, the last week before they shut down to prepare for the skiing season.  Perfect weather and total ghost town!

Looks like someone wallpapered the background
c9d20dfffced64be23d350e05c1767da.jpg

Back