Biggest bucket list item

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just can't imagine ever having the capability to hike a mountain?! What do you do, just walk up to it? It is just so overwhelming. What does easy even mean? Haha

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
If you're @csb you run up it.  If you're me, you walk it at a snails pace, stopping frequently to swear and dry heave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Climb Everest
NFW. Too expensive and too dangerous.  I've read enough on the topic to dissuade me from that.

I'd like to bag all 48 of NH's 4000' peaks.   Got a bunch, but many more to go. 

I want to visit all of the national parks.  I've visited 16 of the 59 official national parks, so I have a long way to go.  I think I'll need to a couple months just to see the 8 in Alaska.

So far my favorites have been Volcanoes and Yellowstone.  By far the worst was Cuyahoga.

I want to visit all of the national parks.  I've visited 16 of the 59 official national parks, so I have a long way to go.  I think I'll need to a couple months just to see the 8 in Alaska.

So far my favorites have been Volcanoes and Yellowstone.  By far the worst was Cuyahoga.
do you have the passport thingy? I feel like I have to go back to all of the ones I've been to now, so I can stamp my passport and have proof!! This too is on my bucket list. Redoing the Grand Canyon in NOV at the south rim instead of west, so I can do just this. lol! 

I don't think I gave yellowstone a solid chance. I was driving back to IL from WA and wanted to see old faithful. I wasn't very impressed and I feel bad about it every time I remember.

If you're going to Yellowstone for OF and not the insane views of things like the falls and wildlife, then you're missing 99.9% of that place.  I only got to spend a few hours driving there (and a hiking in bear territory with no supplies in the dark, but that's another story), and I still consider it to be the most breathtaking place I've ever seen.

There is a baseline athletic ability needed simply because you are typically walking 10+ miles (roundtrip) and gaining 3000 vertical feet, all while breathing very thin air. However, if you prepare correctly (clothing, weather, start time, etc) and take your time it's not so bad. Altitude effects everyone differently, some people get altitude sickness while others feel no change. I grew up at a higher elevation (9000' asl) so it tends to not effect me much, but my wife can only stand about a couple of hours or so above 12,000' before she starts to get sick.
yeah I would definitely have to work up to the task. The only thing I know about how I deal with elevation is that I felt really sick when I was in denver, but I'm not sure if it was a hangover or the altitude. probably a bit of both. 

If you're going to Yellowstone for OF and not the insane views of things like the falls and wildlife, then you're missing 99.9% of that place.  I only got to spend a few hours driving there (and a hiking in bear territory with no supplies in the dark, but that's another story), and I still consider it to be the most breathtaking place I've ever seen.
right. I had my mother in tow and she doesn't like roadtrips. and it was shitty weather and it was an all around gloomy situation for the drive. (economy tank, layoff, unsuccessful job search for months, moving back to the midwest etc) so I fully agree I didn't do it right. But I wanted to go. the tetons were awesome!! I did get out and admire a little bit. Not enough though. I fully plan to go back at least a couple more times to appreciate it. My grampa just always talked about old faithful so I wanted to see the glory!

I want to do a min. few days for each park. I did olympic last summer and LOVED it but even though we were there 2 days I wanted more. Luckily it's just right over there *points* I have so many awesome places nearby and I feel like I don't have the knowledge to take full advantage. Like the discover pass - I didn't know what it was but I got one so I would have it, and luckily when I parked at deception pass I had the mirror tag in my car... Where you're allowed to camp, any insider etiquette that I am unaware of.. I just feel excited to go on adventures and then overwhelmed that I'm gonna do something wrong and ruin the planet. lol!

Totally agree with the hitting all NP list!

We have hit a ton of the ones in our immediate area and need to somehow get “stamps” for all the one back east we didn’t get stamps for back then.

I’d have to say my favorite that I have visited thus far was the Tetons. Even though they wouldn’t let us hike a meager 13’er (without some type of permit BS) Don’t they know we are from CO?

Even my HS age kids fight over who gets to make “the stamp” when we go places! 

I am also pissed I failed to get a “sign” pic at the Grand Tetons L  But I want to go back and camp again next summer..

Totally agree with the hitting all NP list!

We have hit a ton of the ones in our immediate area and need to somehow get “stamps” for all the one back east we didn’t get stamps for back then.

I’d have to say my favorite that I have visited thus far was the Tetons. Even though they wouldn’t let us hike a meager 13’er (without some type of permit BS) Don’t they know we are from CO?

Even my HS age kids fight over who gets to make “the stamp” when we go places! 

I am also pissed I failed to get a “sign” pic at the Grand Tetons L  But I want to go back and camp again next summer..
you could get the stickers they sell and write the dates on them?? I would do that but I only have a couple to backtrack and I fully plan on returning. I about died when the rangers actually had the stamps that they brought on board when we cruised through glacier bay national park. that might be my favorite so far just because of accessibility and GLACIERS!

I’ve thought about ordering the stamps online (the stickers)?

We did a 13 mile hike to see a glacier in rocky mountain national park last summer, it was very anticlimactic

I’ve thought about ordering the stamps online (the stickers)?

We did a 13 mile hike to see a glacier in rocky mountain national park last summer, it was very anticlimactic
yeah i refer to the stamp with date that you ink as the "stamp" and the peel and stick stamp thing as the "sticker" for my own sanity :D

I haven't checked this off yet  
1399738682437.png

Turkey bacon is not bacon period, but it can't even claim being cut from the same areas on a turkey as from the pig to claim bacon like substance.  just processed to look like bacon.

do you have the passport thingy? I feel like I have to go back to all of the ones I've been to now, so I can stamp my passport and have proof!! This too is on my bucket list. Redoing the Grand Canyon in NOV at the south rim instead of west, so I can do just this. lol! 

I don't think I gave yellowstone a solid chance. I was driving back to IL from WA and wanted to see old faithful. I wasn't very impressed and I feel bad about it every time I remember.

I haven't bothered with the passport, but I do try to get a refrigerator magnet at each park I visit.

Yellowstone is so huge that you can't do it justice without at least a few days there.  The park has several distinct regions with different stuff to see and do in each.  We kind of hit the high points at most of them, but I could easily spend weeks there exploring in a lot more detail.  To me the best part is just the sheer amount of wildlife.  Bison, elk, antelope, bears, mountain goat, bald eagles, river otters, beavers and I don't even remember what else we saw.  We went in early June, so it was perfect spring weather and all the wildflowers were blooming, so hikes through the mountain forests and meadows were gorgeous.  Plus there's the largest lake above 7000' in North America.  Not to mention the geothermal features.  And waterfalls.

And of course, Grand Tetons is right next door and it's awesome too.

You're in a great location for outdoors stuff, with Rainier and Olympic and all the mountains to the east.  It sounds like you're not really confident in your outdoor ability, but I bet you could find some outdoor groups that would be happy to show you the ropes.  We have a couple outdoor clubs in my area that do a lot of camping and such.  One of them had a group that sumitted Rainier a couple years ago.  They offer classes in backpacking, mountaineering, winter camping, etc.

If you're @csb you run up it.  If you're me, you walk it at a snails pace, stopping frequently to swear and dry heave.
I was worried, when I saw I had been tagged, that I was on your bucket list. "Crap. Is this Indecent Proposal, eb.com version?" 

I would recommend NOT eating pizza and drinking a microbrew, then going. I hear a "friend" may have left a deposit on the mountain. Ahem. 

NFW. Too expensive and too dangerous.  I've read enough on the topic to dissuade me from that.

I'd like to bag all 48 of NH's 4000' peaks.   Got a bunch, but many more to go. 
Go back home, Masshole! 

Just kidding. I have friends that live close to Franconia and the one time I visited, it felt like the entire state of Massachusetts followed us up there. Now I fly into Manchester and avoid the Boston madness. 

I like to climb the 0ers here in MA (i.e. climb a bar stool at a bar overlooking the ocean and have a few beeers).

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't bothered with the passport, but I do try to get a refrigerator magnet at each park I visit.

Yellowstone is so huge that you can't do it justice without at least a few days there.  The park has several distinct regions with different stuff to see and do in each.  We kind of hit the high points at most of them, but I could easily spend weeks there exploring in a lot more detail.  To me the best part is just the sheer amount of wildlife.  Bison, elk, antelope, bears, mountain goat, bald eagles, river otters, beavers and I don't even remember what else we saw.  We went in early June, so it was perfect spring weather and all the wildflowers were blooming, so hikes through the mountain forests and meadows were gorgeous.  Plus there's the largest lake above 7000' in North America.  Not to mention the geothermal features.  And waterfalls.

And of course, Grand Tetons is right next door and it's awesome too.

You're in a great location for outdoors stuff, with Rainier and Olympic and all the mountains to the east.  It sounds like you're not really confident in your outdoor ability, but I bet you could find some outdoor groups that would be happy to show you the ropes.  We have a couple outdoor clubs in my area that do a lot of camping and such.  One of them had a group that sumitted Rainier a couple years ago.  They offer classes in backpacking, mountaineering, winter camping, etc.
that's definitely my holdback. I've camped and hiked but nothing substantial. I will look into similar groups!! Thanks for the tip!

Back