Best way to Study for Structural Portion of AM Exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulls2030

Reaction score
So after about 2.5 months of studying, I feel my weakness areas for this exam is the structural, means and methods, and a little bit of the materials portion.

Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for the structural portion of the exam ?(some means and method questions are sort of structural questions from the questions i have gone through)

I feel good about the PM Transportation portion. I took the NCEES PM Transportation practice exam and got a 29/40 (I could have gotten around a 31 if I didnt make some stupid mistakes). I am going to take the AM practice exam this weekend.

I would appreciate anyones advice. 

Use the NCEES syllabus and find those topics in your CERM or other AM or college reference material and read/work problems in those categories.  The AM should not require any references/standards/codes so questions on the following topics not requiring basic formulas is fair game.  Good luck. 

IV. Structural Mechanics

A. Dead and live loads

B. Trusses

C. Bending (e.g., moments and stresses)

D. Shear (e.g., forces and stresses)

E. Axial (e.g., forces and stresses)

F. Combined stresses

G. Deflection

H. Beams

I. Columns

J. Slabs

K. Footings

L. Retaining walls

Remember: The sum of the forces in each direction equal zero, so your reactions have to equal your applied load.

Use the NCEES syllabus and find those topics in your CERM or other AM or college reference material and read/work problems in those categories.  The AM should not require any references/standards/codes so questions on the following topics not requiring basic formulas is fair game.  Good luck. 

IV. Structural Mechanics

A. Dead and live loads

B. Trusses

C. Bending (e.g., moments and stresses)

D. Shear (e.g., forces and stresses)

E. Axial (e.g., forces and stresses)

F. Combined stresses

G. Deflection

H. Beams

I. Columns

J. Slabs

K. Footings

L. Retaining walls
I have been using the outline to study so I am aware of this. Thanks though.

I also find my weakness is structure and materials. Can someone summerize which chapters in CERB is within the scope of transportation exam? That will be great.

And I also didn't see anything related with environmental part in the outline posted...does it mean there will be no question at all at the exam?

I also find my weakness is structure and materials. Can someone summerize which chapters in CERB is within the scope of transportation exam? That will be great.
My weakness in college and on the exam was structures too.  At least you guys only have 6 questions now, I had 8!  ;)    There is no such thing as structural topics "within the scope of the transportation exam".  Every civil examinee takes the same AM.  The AM is where you'll see the structural questions.  Just go by the syllabus and study those topics only, using your CERM and other references. 

And I also didn't see anything related with environmental part in the outline posted...does it mean there will be no question at all at the exam?
Hmmm...  I didn't notice that.  If it's not on the NCEES exam syllabus, then you shouldn't expect to see a question on the topic. 

https://cdn.ncees.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Civ-Tran-October-2016_with-design-standards_rev1.pdf

Latest posts

Back