Best Structural Depth reference?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't waste your time with Structural I exam. Civil PE exam is much simpler. Passed my first time after failing structural exam 4 times. Did nothing fancy studying for civil. In fact, I studied harder for the structural exams.
Do you have civil background? I've thought about taking the Civil but my undergrad is Arch. Engineering so I skipped out on waste water, the higher level soils and all that other stuff. I'm wondering how much of those subjects I could learn on my own. Can you take a structural am and pm portion for the Civil PE?

Which is better for the Structural depth for the civil depth? The Structural depth reference manual or the Structural Engineer reference manual (SERM)

I took the Civil/Structural this past April and (thankfully) passed. To be honest, I didn't look at either the SERM or the Structural Depth, although I did have an older copy of the SERM available for the test. I studied from the CERM structural sections, which were pretty good for concrete, but awful for steel. This is, of course, before the CERM11 came out, but after the codes changed on the exam.

The NCEES example problems and solutions were by far the closest you'll get to an actual exam question, so I went through this book multiple times before the test. I never did wood design before, so I studied the NDS code and the example problem book that comes with the code set. I did do a large number of the six-minute solutions, but of an older edition.

On a side note, the online "the other board" exam cafe was awful... a great waste of the 30+/- bucks it cost.

I'm getting my SERM (4th ed) very soon (to start preparing for the SE1); I'll flip through it and post comments.

I took the Civil/Structural this past April and (thankfully) passed. To be honest, I didn't look at either the SERM or the Structural Depth, although I did have an older copy of the SERM available for the test. I studied from the CERM structural sections, which were pretty good for concrete, but awful for steel. This is, of course, before the CERM11 came out, but after the codes changed on the exam.
The NCEES example problems and solutions were by far the closest you'll get to an actual exam question, so I went through this book multiple times before the test. I never did wood design before, so I studied the NDS code and the example problem book that comes with the code set. I did do a large number of the six-minute solutions, but of an older edition.

On a side note, the online "the other board" exam cafe was awful... a great waste of the 30+/- bucks it cost.

I'm getting my SERM (4th ed) very soon (to start preparing for the SE1); I'll flip through it and post comments.
Thanks. It seems both have similar topics by the table of contents, but I would assume the SERM is more in depth.

Back