Baseball 2010

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Galarraga robbed of perfect game last nite. Unreal.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2010...ook_a_perf.html

With two outs in the ninth inning and Galarraga’s bid for a perfect game still intact, Donald hit a grounder between Detroit first baseman Miguel Cabrera and second baseman Carlos Guillen. Cabrera fielded the ball cleanly going to his right and tossed it to Galarraga (2-1), who was covering the bag to seal what appeared to be the 21st perfect game in major-league history, the third of the season and the first in Tigers history.
But Joyce called Donald safe emphatically to a chorus of voluble boos at Comerica Park, a call that could become known as one of the most infamous blown calls in baseball history

yea, that was a terrible call. The ump later admitted it was a terrible call. To bad it robs the pitcher of a perfect game.

A terrible call but an outstanding job by the young man. He did not go to the ump's face and show a great class during his post game interview. :appl:

Also the blue showed a lot of courage and integrity when he later said "I blew it". Props to the hitter(Donald) also for not giving in and running hard. That is the way baseball is supposed to be played.Too bad this happened. Well, there have been two perfect games this season. Braden(A's) and Halladay (Phillies). I think Jimenez(Rockies) threw a No-No. Galarraga just threw the first almost perfect game of the season. It sucks but does not take away the great job he did.

A terrible call but an outstanding job by the young man. He did not go to the ump's face and show a great class during his post game interview. :appl:
Also the blue showed a lot of courage and integrity when he later said "I blew it". Props to the hitter(Donald) also for not giving in and running hard. That is the way baseball is supposed to be played.Too bad this happened. Well, there have been two perfect games this season. Braden(A's) and Halladay (Phillies). I think Jimenez(Rockies) threw a No-No. Galarraga just threw the first almost perfect game of the season. It sucks but does not take away the great job he did.

Mike & Mike were talking about the comish reversing the call and making it a perfect game due to the blown call....think that is possible?

^In this special case, I think you could.

If you change a play down the line in the 5th, it changes how the game plays out, so you can't just selectively change that.

If they made the right call, the game ends right there, unequivocally. And nothing happened afterward anyway.

Even if they do change it, it still ruined the guy's moment.

^I agree. We're talking about a historical moment in baseball, and it was blown by an obviously bad call. Like you said, the game would have been over at that point, so you couldn't have changed the outcome at all. I don't think it will be reversed, but I do believe it will be one of the plays that makes instant replay become a reality for baseball.

You can't reverse it. It sets a precedent for going back to any other game, looking at a replay, and saying "see, that was a bad call, I want it reversed!" You don't just arbitrarily go back and change the rules for a feel good moment.

You can't reverse it. It sets a precedent for going back to any other game, looking at a replay, and saying "see, that was a bad call, I want it reversed!" You don't just arbitrarily go back and change the rules for a feel good moment.
Yea, that's why it won't be done. You can say, though, that this play being reversed would not change the outcome of the game at all because it would have been the last out. That's the only reason I would be ok with them reversing it.

For a surprise, I bought my husband tickets to the Red Sox-Dodgers game on Father's Day. Can't wait to be back in Fenway!

Yea, that's why it won't be done. You can say, though, that this play being reversed would not change the outcome of the game at all because it would have been the last out. That's the only reason I would be ok with them reversing it.
Ble, I agree. I don't think it will happen, but this is the one special case it could happen. If the next batter were to then get on base, there's NO WAY this call could be reversed, but since this would have been the last out and no additional batters were affected I could see it possible.

MLB needs instant-replay. Two game-changing bad calls in one day and nothing that can be done about it? Ridiculous and unacceptable.

^Are you a fellow Bay Stater?
MA_PE and I are a couple of Massholes.
We lived in Boston for 5 years, then headed home - back south. This will be our first real trip back there - should be great! I got my master's at Northeastern and we got married in Lexington, so it will be nice to see those places again.

Bollocks! The call should be reversed. The ump admitted he blew it. The game's outcome / score was unaffected by the blown call. Credit the perfect game to Galarraga, with an asterisk if need be, take the "single" from the hitter (it really wasn't in the first place) - over and done with. It affects nothing, but gives due credit to what was CLEARLY a perfectly pitched game.

Everyone knows it was a perfect game, even though I feel that the call will not be reversed. Other amazing stats from the game:

Galarraga only threw 88 pitches, 60+ for strikes, in 9 innings...that's roughly 10 per inning. As an ex-collegiate pitcher, anything less than 15 per inning is great.

The game lasted 1 hour 44 minutes...

If I got to see something that has only been done 20 times in 100+ years, I'd gladly spend the money.
You could always buy a Marlin's ticket from Halladay's perfect game. There were only ~3000 people in attendence and the owner is currently selling all un-sold tickets as souveniers.

If I got to see something that has only been done 20 times in 100+ years, I'd gladly spend the money.
Now that is a true fan. Count me in if you create a club. :plusone:

You could always buy a Marlin's ticket from Halladay's perfect game. There were only ~3000 people in attendence and the owner is currently selling all un-sold tickets as souveniers.
Is not that anarcho-capitalism? I do not blame the owner. I will blame whoever buys a ticket.

Is not that anarcho-capitalism? I do not blame the owner. I will blame whoever buys a ticket.
I think there's something inherantly wrong with the Marlins profiting from being on the losing end...

Back