Baseball 2010

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark Knight

Silent Guardian
Reaction score
Since I do not want to contaminate baseball talk with pro-football talk here we go... :bio:

Philadelphia got Halladay and for me, regardless how much I dislike the Phillies, makes them the team to beat in the NL. Doc is going to dominate. He has one out less to worry about(the pitcher spot).

The AL will belong to the Yankees...again :smileyballs: So we will have a re-match of the 09 WS this year.

I hope for my Braves to have a decent year. I do not think they did too much in the Free Agents market but the young players will have one more year of experience under their belt. Chipper Jones must bounce back from an sub-sub-sub par year.

The players from my Puerto Rico are less and less every year. The darn draft is killing us. Only Carlos Beltran has a "star" status. Pudge will be playing for the Nats and I only hope he has two more good years. I would love to see him reaching 3,000 hits. After what happened to Roberto Alomar, Ivan will need that to be elected to the Hall Of Fame.

Albert Pujols is the player to watch. The guy is goooooooooood. So far no steroids talk about him and it will be good for baseball if he is never mentioned on that kind of talking.

Just wanted to break the ice...This is one is for you Mary.

I'm sure the Mets will be mathematically eliminated by tax day.

Beltran has the surgery the team didn't know about, then Reyes's thyroid goes loopy. At least last year they wanted until the season started to get hurt.

I asked some Red Sox fans around the office about Bay. The word was good bat, shaky D, which won't play well in Citi Field's cavernous outfield.

The pitching is still Santana and a bunch of question marks.

This team has 3rd or 4th place written all over them.

I'm sure the Mets will be mathematically eliminated by tax day.
Beltran has the surgery the team didn't know about, then Reyes's thyroid goes loopy. At least last year they wanted until the season started to get hurt.

I asked some Red Sox fans around the office about Bay. The word was good bat, shaky D, which won't play well in Citi Field's cavernous outfield.

The pitching is still Santana and a bunch of question marks.

This team has 3rd or 4th place written all over them.
*sigh*

Maybe next year...

I really miss the days (long ago) when you could turn on TBS and watch Braves baseball almost every day. I really think I need to get an internet baseball package. We'll be moving in a few weeks, so I'll have to wait and see what's available on the new system.

The other thing that I'm excited about this year is that my older daughter, who played fast-pitch softball for over 12 years, is on the board for the local league this year. I hope we'll go watch some game together. :)

Tiges may be poised to have at least a stronger finish this season - gotta keep Mig off the firewater. Hated to see Granderson let go (to the Yankees!). Hopefully Damon still has some life left in his bat...or brings leadership skillz or whatever the hell theyre spinning. Pitching should be good too, thankfully they compensated Verlander - should be a good season!

I'm wondering if all this talk of the Rockies actually contending for the NL West title is true. I want to buy in, but I have seen too many shaky starts due to pitching to buy in 100%. Put me in for a 70% buy in. I still think the Dodgers are the team to beat.

My prediction.... the Pirates will be sub .500 for most, if not all of the year... and lead to what? the 18th consecutive horrible year? Oh yeah, and if they do get anyone worth having, they'll trade them away ASAP

I really miss the days (long ago) when you could turn on TBS and watch Braves baseball almost every day. I really think I need to get an internet baseball package. We'll be moving in a few weeks, so I'll have to wait and see what's available on the new system.
I'm half tempted every year to get the Extra Innings package on my cable system, but I can't see myself watching enough games on random Tuesday nights for more than an inning or two to make it worth the $250 or whatever it is.

Tiges may be poised to have at least a stronger finish this season - gotta keep Mig off the firewater. Hated to see Granderson let go (to the Yankees!). Hopefully Damon still has some life left in his bat...or brings leadership skillz or whatever the hell theyre spinning.
I'm curious to see if the Yanks will miss Damon and Matsui. They get younger with Granderson, who should rock out the short RF porch, but Damon was always in the middle of a rally in both Boston and NY. He had some intangibles.

I'd take Matsui over Nick Johnson at DH though.

I'm wondering if all this talk of the Rockies actually contending for the NL West title is true. I want to buy in, but I have seen too many shaky starts due to pitching to buy in 100%. Put me in for a 70% buy in. I still think the Dodgers are the team to beat.
Hasn't the Dodgers payroll dropped off a bit? I heard ownership was going through a messy divorce. Might open the door to Colorado or SF.

My prediction.... the Pirates will be sub .500 for most, if not all of the year... and lead to what? the 18th consecutive horrible year?
That's as bold a prediction as saying the sun will come up tomorrow. They suck.

That's as bold a prediction as saying the sun will come up tomorrow. They suck.
I'm all about the bold predictions :laugh:

I wish I could get back into baseball... I enjoyed playing, and used to enjoy watching it, but it's been years since I caught a game, or even an inning...

So what you're saying is that the Pirates have a shot in 2012?
The 2013 Spring Training will be awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Baseball talk is fine as long as nobody tries to start up that stupid +1, -2 game again this year.

Albert Pujols is the player to watch. The guy is goooooooooood. So far no steroids talk about him and it will be good for baseball if he is never mentioned on that kind of talking.
Ken Griffey Jr. is another one who did it the right way. I forget where I read it, maybe an interview somewhere, he actually said other players were trying to get him on the juice to help recover from injuries but he never touched the stuff. He had his ups and downs with the Reds, but I always did like him even when he was getting a hard time of it.

I still think the Dodgers are the team to beat.
Possibly...i think 'Manny being Manny' (unjuiced) will be more detriment to them this season - he'll play about as spirited as his final time in Beantown.

Baseball talk is fine as long as nobody tries to start up that stupid +1, -2 game again this year.

Ken Griffey Jr. is another one who did it the right way. I forget where I read it, maybe an interview somewhere, he actually said other players were trying to get him on the juice to help recover from injuries but he never touched the stuff. He had his ups and downs with the Reds, but I always did like him even when he was getting a hard time of it.
Jr is another one. You are right. I forgot that about him. I do not like him that much because his arrogance. Long story short, his Dad played Winter ball in my hometown many moons ago. Jr. spent at least three Winters there and was treated very well by the fans,he was just a kid.

Jr went back there once for a charity softball game sponsored by Carlos Baerga and the fans were in line to get his autograph. When he saw the line he reluctanly signed a few, no more than five, autographs and suddenly turn around and said..."I do not know how to write" and left just like that leaving the fans that waited for him almost an hour. Since that day I stopped following his career.

But, personality issues aside he deserves credit. First he took less money to play for his hometown team and was loyal to the city. Second, you mentioned about his struggles with injuries and how he worked his way back. You are correct. That is another fact. Ken Griffey Jr has one of the best and more beautiful swings in baseball. I do not like him but baseball needs more players with that sense of loyalty and integrity.

Got ticks to Tiges v. Yanks tonite (supposed to be 45 degrees) :woot: - Dontrelle Willis is starting pitcher against Sergio Mitre who is starting his first game of season. I hope the Tigers tee off on this guy!

Got ticks to Tiges v. Yanks tonite (supposed to be 45 degrees) :woot: - Dontrelle Willis is starting pitcher against Sergio Mitre who is starting his first game of season. I hope the Tigers tee of on this guy!
It was supposed to be Javier Vázquez. Did the Yankees dump him already?

^ dunno

Scouting ReportYankees: Mitre will slide into the Yankees rotation to make a spot start as the club pushes Andy Pettitte back to protect his left elbow inflammation. Mitre has appeared in five games this season for New York, all in relief, and is expected to be stretched out enough to throw 65 to 75 pitches against the Tigers. Mitre will be making his first career appearance against Detroit.

Tigers: Willis goes against the Yankees for the first time since 2006. Willis has a 3.99 ERA through six appearances (five starts) thus far. The veteran left-hander pitched fairly well in his last two starts, both of which came against the Twins. He allowed three runs in 5 1/3 innings in his last start. Willis fanned 12 batters over 11 1/3 innings in his two starts against Minnesota. As usual, his control will be of paramount concern for manager Jim Leyland and pitching coach Rick Knapp. The high-powered offense of the Yankees will also be a concern -- New York hits lefties better than any other AL squad this year (.904 on-base plus slugging). The Minnesota Twins were no pushovers, but Monday's start against the Yankees represents Willis' toughest test of the season so far.
Gettin' stoked!

Javi does not learn. He should know, better than anyone else, that the AL East it is not the NL East.

Back