Back where I belong

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. . .Beyond that, I am looking forward to offering my vast technical expertise. Beyond civil engineering PE prep, I am also an expert in structural truss design, traffic studies, and land law.
I would like to thank Road Guy for realizing his past mistakes and seeing how beneficial I can be here. Now that I am back on board, this board will really take off!

JESUS LIVES!
I wave the :BS: flag - you're a facsimile / sham / charade - an inventive, timely appearance every now & again to keep the noobs tuned in perhaps?

Is this guy for real?
Tom is very real - you haven't seen his other posts?

Mr. McKeon and I are in agreement about some of the less professional material on here, but his attitude and arrogance about himself and his level of ability kills me!!!
Really? You are in agreement with less professional material on this forum? Out of curiousity, to what extent are you disagreeable ... and feel free to comment to me privately as I am serious about knowing your answer.

I wave the :BS: flag - you're a facsimile / sham / charade - an inventive, timely appearance every now & again to keep the noobs tuned in perhaps?
What are you talking about EM?!! You know this guy's tactic - he comes around whenever he feels like a little attention. There's no rhyme or reason ... and as always, we tend to bite on the line.

Just sayin' ...

JR

If this is true, then here is my advice:

1. DELETE the General Discussion forum, since it covers anything BUT engineering (that's the point, right?)

2. keep this a religion-free forum

I am hoping to get some clarification on what is deemed appropriate and what is not. For instance, I expect that typing out H-E-L-L is inappropriate, but what about he11? Also, which of these posters is appropriate, and which is not?

Some clarification would be greatly appreciated.
one of these things is not like the other, one of thes things is just not the same...

Tom as Mod...

do-not-want.jpg

Here are my two cents and feel free to ban me; I doubt I will lose much sleep over it.

1. The quality of technical discussion is quite excellent. I post to the technical forums as often as people need help. I would log into this website before I even checked the state board's website while we were waiting on PE Exam scores. I help anyone who emails me a question and will continue to do so.

2. Shoot the Breeze is exactly what it means, shoot the breeze. Engineers are very professional people by nature, there is no other way to make it because the difficulty of entry is so high, and we all need a place to blow off some steam and let some opnions fly back and forth. I would wager a large sum of money that investmentbankerboards.com, or the equivalent thereof, is way raunchier than anything that one would find here. Decorum yes, censorship no.

I hope that the Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, and Buddhist members of this forum were not too offended. You may be a Christian, and that's fine I am one too, but remember this: "Congress shall make no law concerning an establishment of religion...."

And now that I am banned, Dleg 2012 to 2112!

:bio:

I see my favorite poster Tom is back.

Tom's my favorite because he was so fucking hilarious. During the day it was all "Jesus Lives!" and during the night it was an alcohol-fueled trip to the dark side.

Oh, the mammaries...

mizuki_horii04.jpg

Here are my two cents and feel free to ban me; I doubt I will lose much sleep over it.
Well there's one thing ... I think too many people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY!

1. The quality of technical discussion is quite excellent. I post to the technical forums as often as people need help. I would log into this website before I even checked the state board's website while we were waiting on PE Exam scores. I help anyone who emails me a question and will continue to do so.
That's awesome .. and I hope you continue to contribute. I do the same things, though I have been a little slower these days with my new work schedule ... and spending time with your new-soon-to-be-wife kinda ranks up there as well .... :)

2. Shoot the Breeze is exactly what it means, shoot the breeze. Engineers are very professional people by nature, there is no other way to make it because the difficulty of entry is so high, and we all need a place to blow off some steam and let some opnions fly back and forth. I would wager a large sum of money that investmentbankerboards.com, or the equivalent thereof, is way raunchier than anything that one would find here. Decorum yes, censorship no.
This is probably the one thing that gets me in my craw more than anything else - why anyone feels there is a lack of professionalism on a forum where there is clearly an area set aside for blowing off steam. Not lately, but historically, I saw where individuals such as Mr. Lindeburg have made remarks directly attacking the credibility and even the ethics of people who participate in this forum (at least those who have offered up humor that may offend).

I am the first person to admit that sometimes my humor is pretty skewed and wicked but I don't believe it tarnishes my character or even my professionalism as long as I keep that humor where it belong - in the place where people blow off steam.

And now that I am banned, Dleg 2012 to 2112!
Heh .. I don't see that coming ... but I think Dleg 2012 sounds like the ticket to beat!

I'm going to state the obvious here and let everyone know that this has to be a joke. RoadGuy would never do such a thing.
Heh!! Well ... I wouldn't be so sure about your statement ...

Mr. TMck doesn't like to be thought of as imaginary ... like the easter bunny ...

JR

This is probably the one thing that gets me in my craw more than anything else - why anyone feels there is a lack of professionalism on a forum where there is clearly an area set aside for blowing off steam. Not lately, but historically, I saw where individuals such as Mr. Lindeburg have made remarks directly attacking the credibility and even the ethics of people who participate in this forum (at least those who have offered up humor that may offend).
I am the first person to admit that sometimes my humor is pretty skewed and wicked but I don't believe it tarnishes my character or even my professionalism as long as I keep that humor where it belong - in the place where people blow off steam.

X2. I too have a remarkably skewed sense of humor, but there is a reason I am in the position I'm at today at the workplace, and that is because I take my work quite seriously. Sure, I'll pop in here periodically to fart around throughout the day when I catch a free minute to help clear my head, but anyone who questions either my ethics or technical accuracy of my work is going to have a very difficult time substantiating any claims.

In all honesty, I feel that my light-hearted joking has helped me TREMENDOUSLY in the workplace. You can put me in front of a project manager, ASME audit team, and client, and they will receive nothing but straight-forward answers and professionalism. But when my job places me more or less as a liaison between the craft, QC, and engineering departments, this approach will not work. Being light-hearted with the craft earns you a sense of belonging and establishes trust between you and those you supervise. Doing so creates an environment in which the craft feel as though they can be more honest with you about technical/quality-related issues, because they understand that you're not just another "suit" or "desk jockey" who lacks the ability to understand the issues at a field/production level.

My personality allows me to connect with my workers, and uncover issues that would otherwise remained buried. My efficiency and ability to perform the tasks I was brought here to do would suffer considerably if I held a "nose in the air" attitude for the 40-60 hours a week I am here on site. Those of you with construction experience can most certainly understand where I'm coming from.

Last edited by a moderator:
This behavior is the exact sort of thing that needs to be stopped if we are to be real professionals. I have had the chance yesterday to review many of the topics in the Shoot The Breeze forum, and was quite frankly appalled.

I will begin pruning those threads and handing out warnings shortly. Several members will be placed immediately on suspension due to the truly heinous posts they have written.

And instead of insulting me, why not do something constructive instead?

And instead of insulting me, why not do something constructive instead?
Tom, you need to relax... come on up to NJ and I can probably get you set up for a day of golf, lunch, drinks, and getting you laid... it sounds like you could use a little stress relief.

Suspending them when they have not violated any rules? I can understand if you suspended them if they violated rules AFTER they were set in place, OFFICIALLY.

So are these added to the formal forum rules section yet? ;)

Are you saying that engineers who participate in watercooler talk are not professional?

My personality allows me to connect with my workers, and uncover issues that would otherwise remained buried. My efficiency and ability to perform the tasks I was brought here to do would suffer considerably if I held a "nose in the air" attitude for the 40-60 hours a week I am here on site. Those of you with construction experience can most certainly understand where I'm coming from.
No doubt. Knowing when and where to express yourself in a casual way with tradesmen is one of the best ways to improve efficiency.

I've read the old posts, why is TMcKeonPE a bastion of professionalism? From the evidence he appears a Dr. Jekyll/Mr Hyde type spaz.

What are you talking about EM?!! You know this guy's tactic - he comes around whenever he feels like a little attention. There's no rhyme or reason ... and as always, we tend to bite on the line.
Just sayin' ...

JR
riiiight. . . . ;)

This behavior is the exact sort of thing that needs to be stopped if we are to be real professionals. I have had the chance yesterday to review many of the topics in the Shoot The Breeze forum, and was quite frankly appalled.
I will begin pruning those threads and handing out warnings shortly. Several members will be placed immediately on suspension due to the truly heinous posts they have written.
no sense of nervousness here. . . :rolleyes:

Back