April 2019 SE Results Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fingers crossed! Good luck everyone. Could today be the day?

Wonder what everyone's plans are if they make it over to the other side? I am going to take the next day off to do nothing.
I honestly haven't thought that far in advance. I have my money saved for the October registration. If for some reason I pass, I may just retire like Jordan for a couple of years. Go out on top. Maybe try something easy like project management for awhile. 

I just called the Illinois exam board. They told me that they, NCEES, had hard experience grading the SE exam, the results could be out any time now and might until Friday. It is possible they had a delayed grading due to the difficulties they met. Take a big breath, everyone!!!!
I sincerely hope that any difficulties grading were due to that pure craziness they put on one of the (redacted) problems in the (redacted). It was purposefully obtuse. How can they give you a (redacted) and then ask for the (redacted)? My guess is that a lot of examinees complained about that problem. And maybe they figured that if they want to test knowledge of (redacted) they should word the problem better. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the purpose of the question was to determine if you understand the accuracy of software output vs design code prescribed equations.  This is something that was discussed in an SE review course I took through SEAOI.  At least, that is how I approached the question.

why do i keep checking NCEES every 15-30 minutes despite not receiving an email saying the results are out

10,000th post in the Structural forum!

Edit: LetsSE got it.... I'm 10,001st :(

Just some random thoughts...but according to NCEES, there are about 500 building people taking the vertical, and 500 taking the lateral. About 80ish bridge people for each day as well. So let's call it 1200 tests to grade. There are two graders on each test (for the afternoon). It makes me curious as to the logistics of this--how many graders are needed? Are they all in or traveling to South Carolina? Are the tests graded before or after the "SE exam meeting"? How much time does it take to grade a test?

And more importantly, are there uproarious eruptions of laughter when someone just misses the cutoff score (i.e. 26/40, A, A, IR, IR)?

i dont know that the graders even know if someone misses the cutoff score. I presume they are just given a stack of tests after they all come to a consensus on the rubric, and they go through them one by one. im not sure why theyd have the multiple choice results tied to a given afternoon pamphlet

Yeah, I'd imagine an individual only sees one part of the PM exams, and grades multiple exams for that one part.

So your exam would be graded by 4 individuals, none of them knowing what you got on the AM, and none of them knowing what you got on the other 3 PM portions.

Just some random thoughts...but according to NCEES, there are about 500 building people taking the vertical, and 500 taking the lateral. About 80ish bridge people for each day as well. So let's call it 1200 tests to grade. There are two graders on each test (for the afternoon). It makes me curious as to the logistics of this--how many graders are needed? Are they all in or traveling to South Carolina? Are the tests graded before or after the "SE exam meeting"? How much time does it take to grade a test?

And more importantly, are there uproarious eruptions of laughter when someone just misses the cutoff score (i.e. 26/40, A, A, IR, IR)?
I really hope I am not one of these guys. Imagine the frustration...😖

Discussing the topic of "who are the graders", a guy I work with is Facebook friends with someone who was a grader.  He posted something on Facebook about headed to South Carolina for the weekend to grade SE Exams.  My co-worker went to college with this person.  He works in the Southwest so he was flown in to grade.  I did a google search and didn't see where he had his SE license but may have either a Masters of PhD?

Grading workshop being done in June, so answer sheets are already in last two months? So it is automatically decided who cleared the exam when they did PM exam manual grading and computerized grading for AM exam. So what this meeting decides ???... They don't change the decision or something based on the outcome of this meeting???..... It would be more consistent if the same grader checks all the PM answer sheets atleast then you the he used the same yardstick for the whole batch doesn't matter where you are residing.....

One of my friend which is PE and has PhD was contacted by NCEES to attend the scoring workshop. I guess being a PE should suffice to mark the exams. 
If this is the case, I am slightly concerned that someone who isn't able to pass the test and be called an SE....is telling me I can't be an SE. 

As for the scoring workshop, my working theory is that they decide some of the cutscore info there. A final check on "this is how you should grade an essay problem...this is meeting the bar for IR, A, and so on." They also must have iron-clad NDAs. If a grader reveals the differences between those demarcations, they probably are sent to a CIA black site and forced to watch keeping up with the kardashians on loop.

@FutureSE

Thank you for being honest. One concerning thing I noticed with your objections is they are skeptical toward the ancillary elements of Christianity but don't touch on the lynchpin of it all, the resurrection of Jesus. If Jesus did rise from the dead then he is who he said he was and Christianity is true, if he did not then skepticism toward the rest isn't necessary because it would be false. I don't know what your personal "burden of proof" is but for me if it's more probable than not then I'd say it's perfectly rational to hold the belief.

In my opinion, anyone that reads a religious text and then fact checks it or even thinks about it critically cannot remain religious.
TBH I think agnostic/atheists who say this are either uninformed of the strength of the case of the existence of God and the evidence for Christ's resurrection or they are bias against it. I won't bother listing any now unless you want to talk further on this but there are several strong philosophical and evidential reasons to believe in the existence of God and the resurrection of Jesus. IMO it is pretty naive to think all Christians on the planet haven't fact checked and thought critically about their beliefs. Not trying to offend or argue, just my thoughts on this.

Speaking on the grading of the exam

Also a coworker of mine took the SEOI course and said that two people grade the afternoon with a rubric and if the scores are different then a third gets involved. Once that is done they run a statistical analysis and correct for "bad questions".

Back