April 2011 exam stories

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if I read a medical book and pass a medical board does that make me a doctor?

^^^^LOL, HERE WE GO AGAIN. I DONT TRUST PE'S WITHOUT A DEGREE, ITS LIKE SELF ACCLAIMED ENGINEERS.

So if I read a medical book and pass a medical board does that make me a doctor?
Actually, I think you can become a medical engineer that way. You'd be qualified to build bypasses through the arteries and stuff.

^^^^LOL, HERE WE GO AGAIN. I DONT TRUST PE'S WITHOUT A DEGREE, ITS LIKE SELF ACCLAIMED ENGINEERS.

I must say, I'm kind of bothered by the attitudes of some of the people on this board. I mean, I'm all for the free sharing of useful information and I certainly don't mind having reasonable discussions with people that question what I do, how I do it, or even if I'm qualified to do it... but I'd hoped that a board centered on a profession like ours would have fewer trolls - or at least higher quality ones.

We're Engineers, or Engineers in Training. We should be above the kind of intellectual dishonesty or taunting involved in these sorts of comments.

/Hey Kettle, have you noticed that you have a certain sable hue?

And now, please, someone keep the conversation going with the actual topic (April 2011 stories)? This derailment was all because I chose to share my own amusing story about an exam that was a bit older (since I saw other people were sharing theirs).

In my exam, there was a woman who was pregnant and due a few days after the exam! And she looked great- calm, and cool as a cucumber!

Just had to share for all the ladies on the board :)

I think that is why we need a Master Degree to take the PE in 2020.

I totally agree with this move by NCEES , the purpose for this is to eliminate non professionals getting a license. It seems board in different states only care about money, they accept FE/PE examinees with experience and have the money to pay for the exams but without proper education.

Last edited by a moderator:

I totally agree with this move by NCEES , the purpose for this is to eliminate non professionals getting a license. It seems board in different states only care about money, they accept FE/PE examinees with experience and have the money to pay for the exams but without proper education.
That will apply in 2020 application. People who hold a PE license that will be ok with their degree but people who apply later than 2020 will be required. People who already apply with the board but didn't passed the exam until 2020 might not required to have the master degree at that time.

That will apply in 2020 application. People who hold a PE license that will be ok with their degree but people who apply later than 2020 will be required. People who already apply with the board but didn't passed the exam until 2020 might not required to have the master degree at that time.
If you applied today (and started taking the exam this year) and still didn't pass the exam in 2020, you really should not get a license, ever. Degree or no degree...

If you applied today (and started taking the exam this year) and still didn't pass the exam in 2020, you really should not get a license, ever. Degree or no degree...
I might not having the time for taking the master degree after a while because the money issue and the time issue (I can't be that selfish for using the family budget to do what I want. I already spent 4 years for study the FE and PE (time and money). I have my own life and it is time for me to spend more time with my family now.

By the way if I have the chance to take the master degree that I will take MBA instead of engineering.

I might not having the time for taking the master degree after a while because the money issue and the time issue (I can't be that selfish for using the family budget to do what I want. I already spent 4 years for study the FE and PE (time and money). I have my own life and it is time for me to spend more time with my family now.

By the way if I have the chance to take the master degree that I will take MBA instead of engineering.
NCEES Master in Engineering requirement will take effect 2020. Most people in this board sgould have their PE by then, this is applicable only for new generation.

NCEES Master in Engineering requirement will take effect 2020. Most people in this board sgould have their PE by then, this is applicable only for new generation.
Yup. And if you're concerned about comity applications, most (all?) states base comity on whether you meet the qualifications that were in place at the time of obtaining your first license, not if you meet current requirements - though I suppose if the current requirements are lesser than they were previously, they'd accept those as well. Not that any profession ever lowers their standards; even phone-based customer service jobs generally "require" 4-year degrees, at least where I live.

I'm right there with you in regards to money. If I had the money to attend college while paying for the things I need, I would do it in a heartbeat. But I don't, and attending college part-time would probably cause more issues than it would be worth.

money is not the issue here we are talking about NCEES requirement i term of education for PE licensure in the future.

I must say, I'm kind of bothered by the attitudes of some of the people on this board.
I hear you. The incessant Animal House jokes, the pursuit of phatty money, and the worship of all things European is just horrible, isn't it?

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly not sure that will help when it comes to training good, practical engineers. One of the worst (from a practical standpoint) engineers I ever worked with was a PhD. He learned all the theory, none of the practice. His experience was all lab-based, as well.

What's that saying? The difference between theory and practice is larger in practice than it is in theory?

I suppose he could have been atypical - aside from him, the only PE's/EI's I've worked with regularly have been BS/Architectural Engineering, MS/Physics or BS/Civil Engineering. Oh, and a BA/Architecture that could have been a PE (12 years experience under an engineer) but failed the FE exam twice and gave up.
I would have to agree. I think that most of the experience that you receive during the pursuit of a masters degree is not the kind of real world training that you need to be an engineer. Usually, in graduate work you pick a very specialized topic and perform very detailed and specific analyses for what ever that topic might be. That's not the kind of practical work experience that I think most people on this board have and need to pass the exam. My opinion of the exam was that it covered a broad range of topics that I was either very familiar with from my work or had some exposure to in my work. The FE was for the basics that you learn in school...

Give me an EIT with 3 years of experience over a newly graduated MS any day...

I must say, I'm kind of bothered by the attitudes of some of the people on this board.
I hear you. The incessant Animal House jokes, the pursuit of phatty money, and the worship of all things European is just horrible, isn't it?

;)
Don't forget the taboo, risque topic of lunch.
Im just glad we're not tasked with Stormwater modeling...
I understand that's the most difficult task in engineering. That being said, a rich European could easily accomplish it over lunch at the cafeteria.

;)
Don't forget the taboo, risque topic of lunch.
Im just glad we're not tasked with Stormwater modeling...
I understand that's the most difficult task in engineering. That being said, a rich European could easily accomplish it over lunch at the cafeteria.
During a break from taking the PE exam...

Back