April 2011 exam stories

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but I doubt what he says, hes only Canadian PEng, and not even EIT in the US nor pass FE, Canadian PEng is a joke.

^^ The Canadian P.Eng is one of the prizes in a Cracker Jack box, right??

:joke:

;)

kevio,

I agree, thats why I wrote PE and hopefully SE, I need a challenge, eventhough I graduated in Asia.

One of the local organizations provided lunch and a raffle. Good stuff.
Not 2011 (I just found the site), but when I took the test I had a conversation with a guy in the hallway outside. He was incredulous that I was taking the exam (Civil P.E.) based on experience only (no college). He had a bit of an attitude in the morning.

I came back a little early for the afternoon part, and bumped into him again. He still had attitude, commenting that I really shouldn't have given up early, that I should have double-checked my work. Apparently, he'd seen me leaving the morning exam at 10:30 AM.

He was ... displeased ... to find out that I'd finished the finished the exam, double-checked every answer, and triple-checked the ones in sections I was bad on. In my double/triple-checking, I found one error. Eventually, I'd decided that it wasn't worth stressing out over, that I'd just end up tearing my hair out for no reason.

I saw his face as I was leaving the afternoon section (at 3:00). I found it hilarious.

And yes, I passed the exam on my first attempt. This would have been April 2009.

I really, really hope I run into him again, but he was taking the Electrical exam. In 11 years of Structural Engineering/Design, I've only run into a handful of EEs.

i dont believe this, a non degree person cant pass PE exam, consider the topics covered and foundation courses required, youre dreaming.

i dont believe this, a non degree person cant pass PE exam, consider the topics covered and foundation courses required, youre dreaming.
Believe me, a piece of paper that says you have a degree (even from an accredited program) does not mean a **** thing. I personally know several engineers who are much better at problem solving (real world, not in theory only) than many of their 'better-educated' compatriots. Many undergraduate engineering programs are now a joke, cutting and trimming programs to make it more attractive to potential students.

Actually, the Civil PE wasn't that hard. I found the Fundamentals exam to be harder; the PE was largely about what I practiced (though I rarely do storm/wastewater, maybe 1-2 projects a year) whereas the FE covered a large range of subjects. Fortunately, my memory for numbers & formulas generally approaches photographic; once I've done something a few times, I can remember it for months. That made the studying somewhat easier.

Believe me, a piece of paper that says you have a degree (even from an accredited program) does not mean a **** thing. I personally know several engineers who are much better at problem solving (real world, not in theory only) than many of their 'better-educated' compatriots. Many undergraduate engineering programs are now a joke, cutting and trimming programs to make it more attractive to potential students.
Yeah, I'd have to agree with this. I've run into a several E.I.s and a few P.E.s that I think aren't terribly good engineers. Nothing malpractice, everything's safe, but it's so overbuilt because they don't do simple things like putting reinforcing on the tension face of a retaining wall (it was centered, in a cantilevered wall with no corners or counterforts).

Lol. If im a client and know this PE i wouldnt choose this company , sorry.
Completely your prerogative, of course. I would argue that as an Engineer with now 10 years of almost exclusively (small to medium) structural experience, I'm better with (small) structures than most. After all, someone with a degree and 6 years experience has only been doing practical structural work for 6 years total, right? Add to that my generally "outside the box" approach to significant issues, and you might find that someone like me (though I really hope I'm unique) is better able to develop solutions to uncommon structural issues. I also tend to have a better rapport with contractors and owners, because I've been "in the trenches" with them instead of "off studying with my head in the clouds" (as a contractor once said while we were discussing a project).

Of course, I never mention my lack of college degree unless I am asked questions regarding my education. But when I do bring it up, the end responses vary between disdain, curiosity, and being impressed. Generally Architects are disdainful, Home/Business owners are curious, and Contractors are impressed. Engineers tend to run the gamut; most civil and structural engineers I know have been impressed, while a few have been openly disdainful.

Lol. A "real" PE knows he/ she should be ethical not like mentioned above.

I will cite an example if youre terminally sick then there are two doctors one a quack the other a grad of univ which one would you choose think it over.

Professionals are suppose to protect the public i doubt such case for non grads.

wow, this has gotten my attention. I work with a group of engineers, all went to university, guess who they come to for building plans and structural questions? Me, and I only have an associates from a community college. It is not where or how you learned something, but what you do with it and appreciate how you apply it. It is when you think you know everything you stop going over your numbers and mistakes happen.

As far as the terminally ill, I lost my wife to cancer and took her to some of the best cancer doctors around. Some analogies would be best left out.

Now, getting back to the original topic: The table that was supplied to me and another test taker was delaminating and had splinters lifting up from the plywood surface. They originally positioned some poor surveying test taker with the sun coming through a high window right into his face. Both matters were taken care of right away. That was the worst of it, not bad for a test day.

Not 2011 (I just found the site), but when I took the test I had a conversation with a guy in the hallway outside. He was incredulous that I was taking the exam (Civil P.E.) based on experience only (no college). He had a bit of an attitude in the morning.
I'm confused...

While I'm in no way saying that it can't be done, I thought it was a requirement to have a 4-year degree at an ABET acrredited school in order to sit for the P.E.

I'm confused...

While I'm in no way saying that it can't be done, I thought it was a requirement to have a 4-year degree at an ABET acrredited school in order to sit for the P.E.
nope. a lot of states will allow it with usually much more experience required.

I'm confused...

nope. a lot of states will allow it with usually much more experience required.
NY and VT require 12 years of experience.

I'm confused...

Oregon (where I live, and work under the direction of a licensed S.E.) requires 12 years (8 for EI, 4 for PE), Washington (where I am licensed as a Civil P.E.) requires 8 years (4 for EI, 4 for PE), and California of all places requires *6* (3 EI, 3 PE). In Washington and CA, the law is written so that up to 5 years of education (4+1 postgrad) can be substituted for experience; for Oregon, it's 4 year degree + 4 years experience, 2 year degree + 10 years experience, or no degree + 12 years experience. At this point, going to college would be counterproductive from a purely logistical standpoint; I have more than 10 years of experience, so I'd take longer going to school than I would just getting the experience. Not to say that the school would be useless by any means. I fully admit that I have limitations on what I know; because I am extremely specialized in structures, I'd like to know more about the other subjects.

I intend to sit for my CA-specific exams in either Oct '11 or April '12, and my Washington Structural in Oct. 2012. I have a personal plan that after I get my structural I will be getting my Oregon Geotechnical, Electrical, and Mechanical licenses, just because. Unfortunately, this takes back seat to other, larger financial and personal concerns (the Geo/Mech/Elec licenses wouldn't help me in my career), so it will likely not happen for another 5-6 years.

Edit: Holy run-on sentence Batman!

Last edited by a moderator:
I intend to sit for my CA-specific exams in either Oct '11 or April '12, and my Washington Structural in Oct. 2012. I have a personal plan that after I get my structural I will be getting my Oregon Geotechnical, Electrical, and Mechanical licenses, just because. Unfortunately, this takes back seat to other, larger financial and personal concerns (the Geo/Mech/Elec licenses wouldn't help me in my career), so it will likely not happen for another 5-6 years.

So, you plan on getting 12 years of Geotechnical, 12 years of Mechanical, and 12 years of Electrical experience in 6 years? I think you'll find trouble with that with your state board as you've stated you're limited in experience to structures. I certainly hope anyway.

So, you plan on getting 12 years of Geotechnical, 12 years of Mechanical, and 12 years of Electrical experience in 6 years? I think you'll find trouble with that with your state board as you've stated you're limited in experience to structures. I certainly hope anyway.
No, as with any license, once you get the first you can sit to take the exams for the others (except Structural, which has further limitations that I have already met for WA). The assumption is in place that you have the self-knowledge to only sit for exams you think you can pass, and once passed that you won't do anything that is outside your expertise. For example, I'm legally able to design flood controls, waterways, roads, etc. - but I don't, because while I know enough about them to have passed the exam, I wouldn't want to put my stamp on them until I am confident that I can do them correctly.

Like I said, I'd be getting the other licenses for my own reasons - I don't plan (at this time) to actually practice any of those disciplines. Mostly, I want to do it because I think it'd be impressive and somewhat interesting for someone in my position to have passed every major exam administered in my local area. Plus, study purely for the sake of knowledge is a good thing.

After reading most of the explanatinons in this thread I understand better why engineers are so low in the professional-totem pole.

How many licensed cardiologists out there do not have a valid medical school degree?. Same with lawyers? What has been said here is that you do not have to go to engineering school to be an engineer. Just work 3,6,9,12 or whatever years you can with one and you are even fit to go for a license as one. Is not that nice? So many of us wasted from 5 to 6 years.

After reading most of the explanatinons in this thread I understand better why engineers are so low in the professional-totem pole.
How many licensed cardiologists out there do not have a valid medical school degree?. Same with lawyers? What has been said here is that you do not have to go to engineering school to be an engineer. Just work 3,6,9,12 or whatever years you can with one and you are even fit to go for a license as one. Is not that nice? So many of us wasted from 5 to 6 years.
Actually, lawyers in some states can pass the bar without the benefit of law school. It's called "reading the law". It's uncommon - almost if note more uncommon than it is for Engineers - but it happens.

And you didn't waste those years. Completely neglecting the practical effect education has - that you do in fact have a much broader knowledge of multiple subjects - there's the added benefit that you don't have people questioning your ability to become an engineer, or calling you unethical without having direct knowledge of your experience. Speaking personally, I would much rather have gone to school and studied engineering. If I had the cash on hand *right now* to attend college, I would do so in a heartbeat. I don't; I have personal issues (medical, for both my wife & I) and other debts that must be paid first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back