Apple iPhone 6

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a lady at a band parent meeting I was at last night had the Iphone 6 plus, holy shit that thing is F'n huge ,even more awkwardly big than the Samsung one.. literally I would never want a phone that big (maybe those large phones are for people that lose stuff easily?) It was about the same length as the mini tablets..

I finally got my iPhone 4 playing videos again. Safari cache and cookies were slam packed and bogging everything down. Cleared it and restarted, got it working again. Can't wait to get rid of Apple once and for all in the near future. Waiting for the S6 most likely.

Am waiting to be able to afford a smart phone. Yes, I know, am pathetic.
Save yourself money by never going that route in the first place!

But I want one. :sniff:

Am just aware that it is too much money, at least for me. My $15 GoPhone works just fine for me and knows how to swim. I have rescued it twice from the river. If am not wrong I was with Krak and Mr. Krak on one of those.

Cannot imagine a fancy smartphone surviving the plank like that.

Has Apple supported anything for 15+ years? :huh:

No, but they provide their iterative OS updates for cheap ($99 was the most expensive OSX update, and the last 2 have been free). MS tends to make large OS changes far more often, which breaks a lot of old soft ware and won't run on new hardware. And they charge out the ass for it ($199 for Win8Pro, WinXPPro was $299 in 2001). Plus, OS X 10.0 was released in March 2001...WinXP was released in October 2001. So, Apple has been supporting OS X longer than Microsoft supported XP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has Apple supported anything for 15+ years? :huh:

No, but they provide their iterative OS updates for cheap ($99 was the most expensive OSX update, and the last 2 have been free). MS tends to make large OS changes far more often, which breaks a lot of old soft ware and won't run on new hardware. And they charge out the ass for it ($199 for Win8Pro, WinXPPro was $299 in 2001). Plus, OS X 10.0 was released in March 2001...WinXP was released in October 2001. So, Apple has been supporting OS X longer than Microsoft supported XP.
LOL. Sure they do. Instead, Apple just forces you to upgrade your hardware when they decide it's obsolete. Still fail in my book.

And where do you get your OS pricing from? I paid $49.99 for a full version of Windows 7. Same for my copy of Win 8 for my ASUS laptop. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
We've had the same desktop in our house for a decade. An apple, I've thrown in a bit of extra ram and upgraded the OS once, it's running like a champ. It doesn't crash, it doesn't get viruses, it doesn't hang. It just works. Same with my iPhones (except the 4s that just went to shit last year). Apple products at simply the top of the line. I seriously don't think there is any further need for debate.

We've had the same desktop in our house for a decade. An apple, I've thrown in a bit of extra ram and upgraded the OS once, it's running like a champ. It doesn't crash, it doesn't get viruses, it doesn't hang. It just works. Same with my iPhones (except the 4s that just went to shit last year). Apple products at simply the top of the line. I seriously don't think there is any further need for debate.
<double face palm> I still have server machines running server 2000 and 1 or 2 XP machines that are also shared out or media stations. None of them crash, get viruses or hang at all because they are properly maintained. As is your machine so your argument is invalid, sorry to say. Apple products have poor driver support, have virtually no upgrade paths (they prefer you buy the next model), and are ridiculously priced for the mediocre hardware you get. I also have yet to see any Apple machine out-perform ANY PC in the gaming arena.

Your bias is showing, KF. I don't play favorites in computers. I have two Windows laptops and 1 Apple. I have 3 Windows, 1 Linux, and 1 Apple desktop. Especially in terms of laptops, there is no contests...Apple products last longer. I have gone through 4 work laptops in the time I have been using my 2009 MacBook Pro. The laptops failed due to hard drive crashes, RAM failures, and shear obsolescence (i.e., they couldn't run software I needed for work). The Macbook drags ass sometimes, but it is still solid as a rock.

You are relatively correct that Windows desktops are comparable in terms of reliability (since I build my own from known good components), and destroy Apple on price. But I find it mighty difficult to build laptops.

I've also never given a flying shit about gaming performance, so that tired old argument doesn't hold weight with me. I have game systems for games. I have computers for getting things done.

Perhaps, but it's no secret on this forum on where my loyalty lies. I have an old Dell lnspiron laptop (Centrino CPU) with XP that I got in 2008. Still rock solid as well because it was properly maintained. It can drag at times but it still does just fine for internet/email/light word processing. Hell I even take it with me to play P90x videos when on the road for work. So to say Apple products last longer is opinionated (or bias? ;) ), not factual.

The building of laptops in itself is not difficult. Procuring the appropriate parts which all function properly together is the challenge. It's also not the most economical.

Gaming systems are inferior to PCs when it comes to system performance. There's no disputing that (I'm not saying you were). But to each their own in that regard. I prefer mouse/keyboard gaming where I can make custom macros and not be limited to some barely functional game controller. LOL Plus I can upgrade my gaming PC at anytime I see fit. Not the case with game consoles.

So, most people don't build their own laptops or desktops. We've had our Mac desktop since I was studying for the PE exam, the first time, so probably late 2005 early 2006... Okay not quite a decade. We also had a MacBook or iBook or whatever it was that my wife bought in 1998 when she started college. It never died, we just one day stopped using it in 2010 or so when I bought an HP. That was good till I broke it by stepping on it in 2012. Then it was like time to buy a new laptop, which was a cheap piece of shit toshiba. I wish we still had that old MacBook now, or that we had bought a new one back then.

Back